We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

changing into uniform at work

Options

Comments

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Every job I have had you had to be at your station ready for work at the appointed time, not getting changed and sauntering up 5 mins after.

Also, why is it a problem if you are having to get there early to get a parking space? You should have plenty of time. My car park for work has recently moved and is now an extra 5-10 min walk to the lockers, we still have to be on station for the start of shift.
  • Dunedinhen
    Options
    Daedalus wrote: »
    It is a reasonable requirement of the job. It takes 2 minutes to get changed. Your job is to be ready to start work at X. You aren't paid to maintain an acceptable level of personal hygiene, but that is certainly a requirement of your job, or are you now going to tell us you want to be paid money for showering and cleaning your teeth?
    I already put in more hours than I'm actually paid for. If things run late we stay behind to get the patients done and this includes staying with them until an ambulance turns up to take them home. I am paid the same as someone who can turn up 30 secs before shift, plonk their bum on a seat and hey presto they are at work! I on the other hand need to change clothes, rearrange my hair (not allowed to wear it down), remove jewellery etc and then schlep it from the changing room which is more than 10 mins from the dept and I'm not at work until I sign in. How is this fair? In order for the dept to function computers etc are switched on before we get changed just so they may be up and running by the time we come back. As I see it as soon as I start doing stuff that relates to working practices the I am at work whether in uniform or not.
    My post was a simple question.....there is no need to get personal!
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Dunedinhen wrote: »
    I already put in more hours than I'm actually paid for. If things run late we stay behind to get the patients done and this includes staying with them until an ambulance turns up to take them home. I am paid the same as someone who can turn up 30 secs before shift, plonk their bum on a seat and hey presto they are at work! I on the other hand need to change clothes, rearrange my hair (not allowed to wear it down), remove jewellery etc and then schlep it from the changing room which is more than 10 mins from the dept and I'm not at work until I sign in. How is this fair? In order for the dept to function computers etc are switched on before we get changed just so they may be up and running by the time we come back. As I see it as soon as I start doing stuff that relates to working practices the I am at work whether in uniform or not.
    My post was a simple question.....there is no need to get personal!

Why wear jewellery to work if you need to take it off, that makes no sense to me? Put your hair up at home as well. It's perfectly normal that you arrive at the changing room in enough time to get changed and then get to your dept to start for the correct time. You switch on your computer at your start time, if it takes a few minutes to boot up that's not your problem.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    If the phone rings before your actual start time, and you are not in uniform, then technically you are not at work. Therefore you are not required to answer it, so don't.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your hair and jewllery could be dealt with before you get into work.
    I also work for the NHS and we all start approx 15 mins before we start getting paid. Its something we have always done and i sure the time we spend making cups of tea, drinking the and a chat here and there makes up for it.
    Im sure after a while it will all be part of your daily routine and not bother you.
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is a pity that this issue seems to be causing the OP genuine aggravation when there are others suffering all kinds of harassment, intolerance or demeaning attitudes making people actually unwell in other cases.

I used to have a job like the OP implies in their post. It was simple - I got changed in the staff areas when I arrived, did my day's work, changed again and went home. I honestly don't wish to sound insensitive, but this should not be a problematic issue.

Unless it's for proper Health & Safety reasons, could the OP just not wear a long, "cover-all" coat over the uniform on public transport if this is really such a grievance?
  • bubblegumcola
    Options
    I used to work in catering and we had to change into our uniform at work and were not allowed to travel to work in our uniform due to health and hygiene rules at our work. So I usually arrived no later than 15 minutes before my start time so I could get changed but I never saw it as a problem. I always had my hair up so I could wear my hat and never wore jewellery to work either as were were also not allowed. If staff were spotted coming into work in their uniform they were given a telling off as it was a breach of the rules. We were not paid from the time we walked through the door but the time we walked into the kitchen with your uniform on, which is exactly what I would expect...paid to be working not being paid for getting changed into my uniform?! That's just bizarre.

There must be many other jobs were people have to change at work for their employment? I don't see what the problem is. As long as you have a proper changing area/room/cubicle and somewhere secure to keep your belongings.
  • debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Options
    I work in the NHS and travel to work in my uniform, I also get to work at least 20 mins early (due to transport). The same if I was changing.

Leave the hours 6:30am arrive 7:40am, handover 8am.

I don't understand what your problem is to be honest!
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OP, can I ask whether you use the same PC each day ?. If so, you can save a load of time by simply locking the screen with 'Windows key + L'. No need to wait for User profile to load as all you do to get back on is 'Ctrl+Alt+Delete' and login.

On the 40,000 user network we use, it saves 5 minutes of faffing around waiting for the thing to connect to the server.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• mountainofdebt
    Options
    I have to say that it is one of my bugbears when you see NHS staff in Tesco or on a bus whilst wearing their uniform - if you can't have a bunch of flowers in the ward because of MSRA issues then I don't see why the staff should be allowed to wear their uniform, outside the hospital....and yes I would make it a disciplinary offence.

I'm another one who thinks the OP is making a drama out of nothing....as others have said - prepare your hair before leaving house, don't wear jewellery etc.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income