changing into uniform at work

Options
my employer is instigating a web-based clocking on system. They want us to log in AFTER we have changed into uniform. As I am not allowed to wear my uniform to travel in, am I within my rights to clock on before getting changed?
In some departments it can also take more than 15 mins to actually get the computer connected to the server!

As the phone can start ringing from before our scheduled start time we answer whether in uniform or not.

any thoughts would be appreciated

Comments

• Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    Don't answer it until you have changed and clocked on?
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Dunedinhen
    Options
    Don't answer it until you have changed and clocked on?
    bit difficult as it may be a patient cancelling their appt which could mean that we need to change the planner
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    is it really that big a deal to get there 5 mins earlier to get changed and then goto work?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    Dunedinhen wrote: »
    bit difficult as it may be a patient cancelling their appt which could mean that we need to change the planner

Get there 5 mins earlier then...

Don't you have an answerphone for patients to leave their cancellation messages for you?
  • Dunedinhen
    Options
    is it really that big a deal to get there 5 mins earlier to get changed and then goto work?
    its bad enough getting there much earlier just to get a parking space! why should i be 'docked' pay to get changed into a uniform we must wear. there are other members of staff that do not need to wear a uniform but as we get in at the same time why am i penalised?

patients do not like leaving messages and prefer to actually talk to someone (we did a survey)
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    its bad enough getting there much earlier just to get a parking space! why should i be 'docked' pay to get changed into a uniform we must wear. there are other members of staff that do not need to wear a uniform but as we get in at the same time why am i penalised?

patients do not like leaving messages and prefer to actually talk to someone (we did a survey)

You should be changed into your uniform in your own time ready to start work, you aren't being docked pay. I'm surprised that it hasn't been this way before! If you have to get their early for a parking space then you are there in good time surely. If patients don't leave any message that's their decision and they will have to call back.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options

Heavens above - I get to where I do training 30-60 minutes before I start work and don't get paid for it! And I travel 45 miles so up to 90 minutes on a bad day.

5 minutes, really is making a mountain out of a molehill.
  • timbo58
    timbo58 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    I am quite sure you can wear your uniform to work as long as it's covered up by a coat?

Bear in mind you can claim for uniform washing tax allowance too.

Never worth rocking the boat at work for a few minutes even if it does add up and even if you think the employer is taking the p%ss.
    You can bet the vast majority won't moan about it and that makes those that do stand out: and not in a good way.
    Unless specifically stated all posts by me are my own considered opinion.
    If you don't like my opinion feel free to respond with your own.
  • Daedalus
    Daedalus Posts: 4,253 Forumite
    Options

It is a reasonable requirement of the job. It takes 2 minutes to get changed. Your job is to be ready to start work at X. You aren't paid to maintain an acceptable level of personal hygiene, but that is certainly a requirement of your job, or are you now going to tell us you want to be paid money for showering and cleaning your teeth?
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I cannot believe that you think this is such a big deal that you have to post a question on here.

I travel all over the place to appointments and always add on a significant fudge factor to allow for delays... plus in this snow, I got dressed, got into London and then changed again into work clothes... what's the big deal?
    :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport