Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The bed deal sounds amazing! It sounds as if everything is coming together :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello Rosa,
    I hope all is going well with your new house, money shuffling, new bed and car details. MTxx
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks MT

It's all still a bit hectic but slowly improving.

I have a ridiculous quote for my electric bill so am going to have to try and sort that out. Apparently I am on Economy 10 and they want to charge me £150 a month for running four storage heaters and a fridge. Am not impressed. It's particularly annoying as of course I am out of the house most of the day and so the storage heaters are pointless. I may have to look at changing them for something else, but of course that will cost.

Sunday shuffle yesterday is mostly OK but I am going to have to borrow from the savings pot to buy furniture and pay it back later as I don't think I can be dealing with living without it for another couple of months and leaving the house in this state!

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks MT

I have a ridiculous quote for my electric bill so am going to have to try and sort that out. Apparently I am on Economy 10 and they want to charge me £150 a month for running four storage heaters and a fridge.

:eek:
    Am not impressed. It's particularly annoying as of course I am out of the house most of the day and so the storage heaters are pointless.

If you set them up right, it may work out OK. What are your off-peak hours?

However with it turning into summer, they certainly will lose their shine
    I may have to look at changing them for something else, but of course that will cost.

Sunday shuffle yesterday is mostly OK but I am going to have to borrow from the savings pot to buy furniture and pay it back later as I don't think I can be dealing with living without it for another couple of months and leaving the house in this state!

Beanbags starting to wear? ;)
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Storage heaters can work great even if you are out of the house all day - it's just a case of getting the settings right. We use them, generally have 2 on right through the winter, and one extra one added in as needed, and our water is heated via electric too, no boiler at all - and currently we're paying £30 a month for electricity. That doesn't include cooking though as our cooker is gas. Learn your off-peak hours (and remember they change with the BST/GMT transitions) and you'll be amazed how much power you can use on cheap rate too - we particularly favour the use of our electric shower on the cheap rate when possible as that's a power guzzler!

If it helps, we're with Flow Energy and I've found them pretty good for an Economy 7 tariff so they may be worth a look for you also.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks MT

I have a ridiculous quote for my electric bill so am going to have to try and sort that out. Apparently I am on Economy 10 and they want to charge me £150 a month for running four storage heaters and a fridge. Am not impressed.
    That is such a high charge :eek: hope you get this sorted
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Storage heaters can work great even if you are out of the house all day - it's just a case of getting the settings right. We use them, generally have 2 on right through the winter, and one extra one added in as needed, and our water is heated via electric too, no boiler at all - and currently we're paying £30 a month for electricity. That doesn't include cooking though as our cooker is gas. Learn your off-peak hours (and remember they change with the BST/GMT transitions) and you'll be amazed how much power you can use on cheap rate too - we particularly favour the use of our electric shower on the cheap rate when possible as that's a power guzzler!

If it helps, we're with Flow Energy and I've found them pretty good for an Economy 7 tariff so they may be worth a look for you also.

Thanks EH

The issue seems to be that I have two or three meters in one, and most companies won't deal with this - I tried to switch to Flow and got rejected.

I've had a good chat with Np0wer this evening - gave them readings and will do so again in another couple of weeks, then I can decide what to do. Apparently I can have the meter changed to one, but it would mean getting an electrician in to sort it out first.

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    edited 2 April 2017 at 9:23PM
    Options
    Scooting in with a quick Sunday shuffle report...

Budget is ok but I am intending to buy furniture this month, and that will probably have to come out of next month's paycheque as well as this one. I can borrow from the savings pot in the meantime. I've spent a ridiculous amount on food this last month, but I suppose it did include restocking the freezer and ready meals.

I will also have a bill for a bump to someone else's car :( - poor reversing on my part, they have agreed to get quotes for repair as it is just the bumper that's damaged. So that will be another bill and I'm a bit sad about that as it could have been avoided. However, grateful that at present an unexpected bill is a nuisance rather than more painful.

I have put in meter readings so am waiting for a regenerated bill, then will hopefully be able to shift to a fixed tariff. I've also switched off a couple of the heaters now that the weather is warming up, and I'm finally catching up on all the washing after the move so the electric use will go down there too. Oh and realised that the council tax bill had been worked out as 10 months :mad: so that will go down slightly per month now I've arranged to pay over 12. I don't know why they stick with that system when it's so unhelpful for budgeting!

Managed to shift some things into the garage today which has made more space to organise everything else properly... it feels like I'm making progress now :) . Really need to get my paperwork up to date but have been waiting on having sufficient floor space to spread things out!

Rosa xx
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    Hi Flower :) Congratulations on your new home. HOME what a lovely word .

Hope it all comes together nicely for you

Much love Sam xx
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Hi Flower :) Congratulations on your new home. HOME what a lovely word .

Hope it all comes together nicely for you

Much love Sam xx

Thanks Sam :A

It's a wonderful word and a lovely lovely feeling :T

Rosa xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income