🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Virgin Atlantic ONLY

Options

Comments

• KillBetty
    KillBetty Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Ich wrote: »
    Just to make sure that you understand how it works.
    The check-in system will be owned and maintained by the airport as part of their infrastructure, so VA though they can complain about problems has no direct control over the system, they will have paid to use it but as part of the landing fees rather than in a client agent relationship

The check-in staff will either be employed by the airport or a seperate handling agent so will be acting as contractors to VA.
    The lack of customer care is certainly something that needs addressed, but it was rather a long time ago!

The delay cause could go either way!

Yes it was a long time ago however I'm still in time to apply for the compensation. The thing is all the other carriers had no issue with their checking in, it was only Virgin.

If the Airport was to blame then I'm quite sure Virgin would have held the airport/ contractor responsible for their late plane and any financial loss's to the airline because of that delay, so in turn the passengers should too get compensated
  • sxwilkin
    Options
    Our flight was delayed 3 hrs 6 mins, tech difficulty on the plane... they changed planes in the end. There were 6 in our Party. Took about 3 weeks for Virgin to send us 253.00 per person. We used miles plus money. Virgin asked us to complete their own paperwork (there was a note at the bottom saying you could not claim compensation if you used miles) but ours went through fine so don't be put off. Might not be the case if you only use airmiles?. Thank you MSE :-)
  • Morphology
    Options
    Flight VS066 Montego Bay to LGW 13 Mar 2013 cancelled and Rescheduled for 24 Hours later.

Hi, we were booked on Virgin Atlantic flight VS066 from Montego Bay on 13th March 2013. The plane pushed back, taxied and attempted take-off only to abort part-way down the runway.

The pilot came over the intercom to say that an engine warning light had come on and they were going to re-set it and try again.

They pulled off the runway, taxied back to the top of the runway and went for take-off again. Again they slammed the brakes on part-way down the runway.

Pilot came back on to say "Same problem - an engine warning light came on. I'm afraid we are going to have to return to stand to investigate"

Pilot said "warning systems do malfunction - it could be a genuine issue, or it could be a faulty sensor. We are going to re-wire the sensor to see if that cures the issue"

A few hours on the stand (2 or 3), then an announcement that the re-wire didn't cure the problem and that a a new set of engine hydraulics plus an engineer were being flown down from Huston [texas] overnight and that unfortunately the flight would be cancelled and re-scheduled

I won't bore you with the details, but we were unloaded, bags etc. bussed to a dreadful dirty hotel (it was midnight by this time) where we were refused food and water until a minor riot broke out and the hotel came up with chilled tap water. We had to have a whip round to pay for a taxi into down town Montego bay (at 1am) so that a diabetic gentleman and two women with small children could buy food.

By the morning the hotel was still refusing to give us food - evidently Virgin had only asked for Room Only accommodation. This was finally sorted out and the hotel did give us breakfast and lunch.

We were returned to the airport. re-checked in. not given any food vouchers (though we found out that many other people were) and re-boarded the flight, which had been given a new code VS1066 scheduled for departure 23 hours after our original departure time.

The aircrew were late arriving, we were late boarding and we finally pushed back 23hrs45 minutes after our original departure time.

I filled a claim for compensation with Virgin, who played the Extraordinary Circumstances card, saying:

I am sorry for any disappointment and frustration caused to you due to the overnight delay of your flight. As you were aware, the aircraft that operated your flight encountered an unexpected technical problem after push back and had to make a return to stand. Our engineers proactively investigated and tried to repair the problem, but we were unable to complete a fix before the closure of Montego Bay airport at 10pm local time. We therefore had no choice but to delay your flight overnight. I would like to thank you for your patience whilst waiting on board the aircraft and offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. They have offered us 12,500 Flying Club Miles...

We were told that the actual issue was to do with the Engine Hydraulics - the gear that holds the jet exhaust nozzle straight during takeoff - and that they had to fly a new part down from Huston plus an engineer.

I don't find 12,500 Flying Club adequate compensation for the 24-hr delay, but really don't know where to turn?

Any and all opinions gratefully received!

Morph
  • Morphology
    Options
    Start with a NBA and then a legal claim. Check out the FAQs

Thanks. I have read the FAQs and will check my travel Insurance to see whether it is likely to cover any legal expenses incurred in submitting a legal claim.
  • carslakephil
    Options
    Hi,

Family return flight from Boston in February 2008 was delayed by just under 5 hours. I completed the virgin claim form, simple and quick to do, having checked the delay online.
    My claim was acknowledged in a couple of days and approx 8 weeks later I have received 3 cheques for €600 each. Excellent result.
  • smackdowngunny
    Options
    Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice on a claim. July 2009 I flew with virgin to Orlando on my honeymoon with my wife. We were on the plane when the pilot announced there was a problem and someone was looking at it. After a further 3/4 hours we were told it couldn't be fixed, were put up the radisson at Manchester airport and flew 23 hours late.
    Sent off the claim form and received a response today (13 weeks later! After being informed it would be 8 to 12 weeks) denying on exceptional circumstances due to the fact that the engine control unit unexpectedly failed and had to be replaced. I am just wondering if it is worth pursuing a claim as I don't want to chase a lost cause.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
  • smackdowngunny
    Options
    I have looked but I think I have a claim and was just looking for a second opinion. I would be grateful for some advice. Thanks
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have looked but I think I have a claim and was just looking for a second opinion. I would be grateful for some advice. Thanks

There are no certainties, but the European Court has ruled that normal technical failures like yours do not constitute extraordinary circumstances, and that therefore compensation must be paid. But if you lack the confidence to see this through to a court case then think very carefully about whether you want the hassle. Or alternatively engage one of the no win no fee folk, who will take a third of your claim if you win.
  • gazzer82
    gazzer82 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    How long are you all waiting for judgements from Virgin, i sent my initial claim form in December last year, a month later i had a letter telling me i had to fill in there specific form, which i then did. A week after that they sent me another letter telling me they had received my form and would get back to me within 12 weeks.

Well that has now passed and i haven't heard a thing, really starting to feel like they are taking the p*ss. I guess they hope by dragging it out that people will give up/forget.

Anyone have a number i can call to chase them up?

Thanks

Gareth
  • Eileen19
    Options
    Has anyone had difficulty in signing up with FlightStats? A message appears saying there is a problem with the website's security certificate and to close the website and not continue. I have used the link on MSE. I know the details of the flight on which I was delayed but want to check the actual time the plane landed to work out the hours of delay. TY!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure