Ask Atos Healthcare disability assessment questions

Options

Comments

• Atos_Healthcare_representative
    Atos_Healthcare_representative Posts: 221 Organisation Representative
    Options
    JS477 wrote: »
    Why can a claimant be given the name and GMC registration number of an Atos "doctor" but when it comes to an Atos "nurse" a claimant is only allowed to be given the nurse's their name and geographical location. Why can't a claimant be given a nurse's Registration number?

Hi JS477

As we said here, when an approach has been agreed with the relevant professional bodies we’ll share it.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Atos Healthcare. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    Options
    Dear atos rep

Do the HCP doctors,nurses and physiotherapist that work in the assessment centres stay working at the same assessment centre or do atos move them around to different centres regularly?
    Hi vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

HCPs will have a base location where they mostly work, but they will also work elsewhere.
    In that case,if you have another assessment in the future at the same assessment centre,is it possible that you could get the same HCP you had in the past?

dear atos rep

does this happen?
  • JS477
    JS477 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    Hi JS477

As we said here, when an approach has been agreed with the relevant professional bodies we’ll share it.
    Thank you for your question – it has been asked previously and when we went to clarify the answer, it highlighted to us that there was in fact some inconsistency in the advice given and the approach taken by our nurses with regard to how they identify themselves.

We are in touch with the relevant professional bodies and we’re about to agree an approach very soon.
    As soon as we have confirmation of the simple answer to your question we will share it.

A very good example above of waffle and procrastination.

All Atos has to do is get their "nurses" to wear a name badge which also shows their registration number. Also when they process the sick and disabled person at a WCA they initially identify themselves as "My names is blah blah. I am a qualified (dental nurse) and my registration number is 123456789"

What could be simpler!

However for some reason Atos prefers to keep very quiet about the details regarding the "nurses" it gets to process the sick and disabled.

People undergoing police interviewing procedures are afforded more rights than sick and disabled people!
  • Atos_Healthcare_representative
    Atos_Healthcare_representative Posts: 221 Organisation Representative
    Options
    In that case,if you have another assessment in the future at the same assessment centre,is it possible that you could get the same HCP you had in the past?

Hi vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Yes, it is possible that the same HCP as before would do the assessment.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Atos Healthcare. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    Options
    dear atos rep

does this happen?
    Hi vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Yes, it is possible that the same HCP as before would do the assessment.

Dear atos rep

And if the HCP in question was an HCP that i had made a formal complaint about to ATOS and/or to their regulatory body (i.e. the GMC or NMC).Would/could it then still be possible to get the same HCP as before to do the assessment.That is wether or not the complaint is still proceeding or not.
  • sicknotethefirst
    Options
    The approved health care professionals' (HCPs) role is to carry out an assessment of the functional effects of the customer's disabling condition, and to utilise the information gathered to provide the decision maker with an impartial and independent assessment.
    What specific disability analysis training do doctors, nurses and physiotherapists receive over and above their general medical training?

Before working for Atos Healthcare, healthcare professionals must have at least 3 years’ post-registration experience across a wide range of specialities, and this must include some generalist training. All employees are provided with additional, comprehensive training specific to disability analysis. For the Work Capability Assessment, this includes an 8 day course for all doctors and a 17 day course for nurses and physiotherapists.
    Training of healthcare professionals can be considered in three distinct areas:
    1. Generic training
    2. Training to undertake benefit-specific assessments
    3. Scrutiny and file work training
    Now I have a question…

Mr X has had a quadruple bypass leaving him with left ventricular failure to those who don’t know (heart failure) and later develops type 2 diabetes which then complicates matters even more.

Mr Y who has had a single bypass with no other complications.

Mr Z who was born with Spina bifida (Almost all patients with Spina Bifida will require lifelong antibiotics to prevent infection. Approximately 70% of all spina bifida patients will have to have some form of drug therapy later in life to try to control their bladder over-activity, and approximately 70% will have to practice clean intermittent catheterisation on a lifelong basis)

Mr XX Who through an accident at work lost the use of the right side of his body.

Now all these people send in their filled out ESA50 which is then scrutinised by a basic nurse with no additional qualifications except a 17 day disability analysis course provided by Atos.
    How is it that a basic nurse is able to learn so much about a person’s ability when they have only had an additional 17 days training? Bearing in mind the different complications that all illnesses may carry, and then make a recommendation about what they believe?

I would like a specific answer and not something copied from the Atos website.

Did you mis my question?:)
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    East Grinstead Man 63 Dies of Kidney Failure and Starvation after being cut off benefits and declared “Fit For Work”

A terminally ill man from East Grinstead was found dead in his home following a DWP medical assessment by Croydon based medical company ATOS.

The man aged 63 was found dead after ATOS submitted their report to the DWP stating that the 63 year old was fit and able to carry out manual work in which ATOS made recomendations that his benefits should be stopped in November 2012.

Police state that the 63 year old had died of kidney failure and starvation following the assessment.

ATOS state that they had found the terminally ill man fit for work in which it was their professional opinion that the man was fit and able to work despite being treated for kidney failure 5 days a week at the Princess Royal Hospital Haywards Heath West Sussex.

ATOS have denied any wrong doing contrabuting to the mans death and state that they are only following the DWP rules to get 1 million people into work.

The family are now seeking legal advice from a solicitor and are set to take ATOS and the DWP to court for breaching the 63 year old mans human rights and inflicting needless suffering leading up to the mans death

http://www.afteratos.com/?p=3033
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • JS477
    JS477 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2013 at 6:31PM
    Options
    My god what a horrendous story. The poor man. :eek:

Atos's own handbook states the following with regard to Terminal Illness (TI) cases:-

"If no DS1500 is available and there is no confirmation of TI through a previous DLA/AA application, the HCP will seek further medical evidence from a practitioner involved in the medical care of the claimant."

Also

"If the claimant is considered to be TI, the HCP will submit this advice to the Decision Maker. If the advice is accepted, the claimant will be placed in the Support Group and there will be no requirement for them to be examined or participate in work related activity."

I wonder if MSE are still happy giving this company a platform!
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    JS477 wrote: »
    My god what a horrendous story. The poor man. :eek:

Atos's own handbook states the following with regard to Terminal Illness (TI) cases:-

"If no DS1500 is available and there is no confirmation of TI through a previous DLA/AA application, the HCP will seek further medical evidence from a practitioner involved in the medical care of the claimant."

Also

"If the claimant is considered to be TI, the HCP will submit this advice to the Decision Maker. If the advice is accepted, the claimant will be placed in the Support Group and there will be no requirement for them to be examined or participate in work related activity."

I wonder if MSE are still happy giving this company a platform!

MSE are obviously getting something for giving Atos a platform even though the responses from this Atos rep can only be described as derisory and practically useless.

So much for the review that Andrea said would happen. I suppose Atos are calling the shots on this one and MSE are having to do what they're told!

Terrible story above about the inhumane treatment that Atos have again dealt out to a sick and disabled person!

Shocking!! :mad::mad:
  • Roxy07
    Roxy07 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    halight wrote: »
    East Grinstead Man 63 Dies of Kidney Failure and Starvation after being cut off benefits and declared “Fit For Work”

A terminally ill man from East Grinstead was found dead in his home following a DWP medical assessment by Croydon based medical company ATOS.

The man aged 63 was found dead after ATOS submitted their report to the DWP stating that the 63 year old was fit and able to carry out manual work in which ATOS made recomendations that his benefits should be stopped in November 2012.

Police state that the 63 year old had died of kidney failure and starvation following the assessment.

ATOS state that they had found the terminally ill man fit for work in which it was their professional opinion that the man was fit and able to work despite being treated for kidney failure 5 days a week at the Princess Royal Hospital Haywards Heath West Sussex.

ATOS have denied any wrong doing contrabuting to the mans death and state that they are only following the DWP rules to get 1 million people into work.

The family are now seeking legal advice from a solicitor and are set to take ATOS and the DWP to court for breaching the 63 year old mans human rights and inflicting needless suffering leading up to the mans death

Disgusting. It's bullying.. ok the system wasn't good before but why do this to people who need it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure