Solar ... In the news

Options

Comments

• nigelpm
    nigelpm Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    I was impressed with this article, especially considering where it was published.

Then I read the comments. Wow, I didn't realise how against solar panels the majority of the public (the readers of this article anyway) are and how little they know or understand about them.

As you say just a lack of education.

People who don't understand things often attack first, think much later.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was impressed with this article, especially considering where it was published.

Then I read the comments. Wow, I didn't realise how against solar panels the majority of the public (the readers of this article anyway) are and how little they know or understand about them.

Some were saying we should be issued with ASBO's as they are an eyesore and drop the value of the whole street they are situated on.

I'm amazed at just how offended people seem to be by the black rectangles on my roof!!! Some people a clearly just idiots but it saddens me to think there are so many of them...
    Hi

If you've followed a number of the discussions on these boards over the years you probably wouldn't be so surprised. In my view, the UK press (DM in particular) has been churning out ill-researched anti-renewables rhetoric for so long that a good proportion of their 'brainwashed' readership must be the equivalent of 'shell-shocked' by the article ... one of the DM's own taking a more neutral view will be sure to have all of the NIMBY and anti-everything brigades up in arms ....

.... what next ? ..... George Monbiot ordering a pv array ? ... now that would open up a number of interesting discussions ... ;)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Strange day, but the DM has written a good, accurate and fair article on PV (is this the first sign of the 'end of days'?):
    It's a shame that this oft-repeated misleading "fact" appears in the headline: "It is light levels, not direct sunshine, that activates the panels." OK, we all know that it "activates" the panels but here is no substitute for direct sunlight for decent generation - every time the sun goes in, it plummets.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Don't worry, sometimes the minority just have loud (and never ending) voices. Check out the latest opinion tracker for how positive people's actual views on renewables are. And check out which one always comes top.

Public attitudes tracking survey: wave 11

Summary of key findings
    RENEWABLE ENERGY SOURCES: continue to receive high levels of support, over three quarters of UK adults (78%) support the use of renewables to generate electricity, fuel and heat in the UK, a similar proportion to June 2014 (79%) and March 2014 (80%).

Level of support for individual renewable energy sources are similar to that reported in the previous wave; off-shore wind (74%), biomass (61%), onshore wind (67%), wave and tidal (73%) and solar (80%).

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options

Some were saying we should be issued with ASBO's as they are an eyesore and drop the value of the whole street they are situated on.

I'm amazed at just how offended people seem to be by the black rectangles on my roof!!! Some people a clearly just idiots but it saddens me to think there are so many of them...

Leaving aside the merits/demerits of solar PV - and the FIT scheme, why are people 'idiots' because they think solar panels on a roof are an eyesore.

In a conservation area, many(most?) councils will not allow them on the roof of houses that are visible from the road.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
  • Waywardmike
    Options
    Leaving aside the merits/demerits of solar PV - and the FIT scheme, why are people 'idiots' because they think solar panels on a roof are an eyesore.

OK, maybe 'idiot' was the wrong word to use. I have little patience for people who are so closed minded and reluctant to change that they see rectangles (black in my case) on my roof so offensive that they have to scream and shout about it.

I feel this attitude is a real barrier to progress.

I understand the reasons for not wanting to place solar PV on listed or character properties as they alter (notice I didn't say ruin) the appearance of what some people deem historically important. however this is not what the majority of people are putting them on. I find it hard to believe the attractiveness of my 1950's bungalow is drastically reduced now the roof is composed of much larger 'tiles' and is slightly darker.
    4 Kwp System, South Facing, 35 Degree Pitch, 16 x 250W Solarworld Panels, SMA Sunnyboy 3600 Inverter, Installed 02/09/14 in Sunny South Bedford - £5600
    Growatt AC Coupled SPA3000tl and 6.5kWh battery Installed Apr 2022
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the more perceptive people at the top of the Daily Mail etc realise there is only so much mileage to be had out of pandering to climate change denial and the anti-renewable energy minority. They know they can't continue denying reality forever... or rather they can, but it will appeal to an ever dwindling minority and consign themselves to flat Earth society irrelevance.

Ed
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    In a conservation area, many(most?) councils will not allow them on the roof of houses that are visible from the road.

Do you have any references to support that statement?

My understanding was that they were PD in conservation areas, even if on the roof of a house that is visible from the road. You seem to have conceded that point several years ago.:

Thread now closed:

PV install - upset neighbours

Post #90
    Doing a little research on the internet!

You are quite right about houses in a conservation area 'generally' being allowed panels on the roof as a PD - but not on the 'front wall'.

Apparently it did include the term 'or roof slope' but that wording apparently was subsequently deleted from the General permitted development order by The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (No. 2) (England) Order 2008

That explains why the regulations for the conservation area(in which I live) originally stated panels were banned if visible from the road.

Even if you meant house rooves that are visible from the road (rather than the rooves of houses), you can still apply for planning permission, and LA's are expected to treat applications sympathetically. It would be interesting to know if that is not the case.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    As perusal of that thread demonstrates there are people who do dislike the appearance of PV panels and my objection was to the poster above calling those people idiots; a statement he has withdrawn(I think!)

The fact that there is any discussion about panels in conservation areas, on listed buildings, planning permission required etc etc can surely only be about the visual impact.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    The fact that there is any discussion about panels in conservation areas, on listed buildings, planning permission required etc etc can surely only be about the visual impact.

Yep, no argument that there are some people that don't like them, and will make a fuss (that applies to pretty much everything in life), but I was asking about your statement (statement, not opinion):

and asked:
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Do you have any references to support that statement?

As I would be interested to know how councils are treating planning permission applications in conservation areas for panels on rooves that face a highway (rooves that don't face a highway are PD). Since your statement gives the impression that you are privy to the results, could you please share?

Thanks.

Mart.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback