MSE News: Child benefit cut to hit 1 million next Monday

Replies

• movilogomovilogo Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • I have read that if you earn over £50k per year but pay the extra into a pension fund, you will still get the full child benefit. - is this correct?

e.g. earn £52K per year and pay £2k into a pension fund leaving £50K means you will get full child benefit
  • Gaz1971Gaz1971 Forumite
    488 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Apparently, our chancellor, George Osborne, has been claiming child benefit all this time, despite the fact he is a multi millionaire.
  • Gaz1971 wrote: »
    Apparently, our chancellor, George Osborne, has been claiming child benefit all this time, despite the fact he is a multi millionaire.

Flippin 'eck, don't tell all the 'tax payers' on here they will go ballistic! :eek:

They have been giving benefit claimants on this board a hard time already!
  • We are classed as a low income family as we rely on Carers Allowance and Income Support. We have always had our Child Benefit taken off us as they class it as income. Hardly fair but we have had to put up with it just as the higher earners now have to.
  • That way, people can work out how many children they can afford and plan ahead for all eventualities.

Unfortunately children don't always come when planned. I have four children which includes a set of twins. I was on the pill the whole time. Turns out my Dr wasn't very good and prescribed me one that wasn't very strong. So should I be blamed?

And, just to add, I am married and they all have the same father, and no, we don't have a council house!
  • julie2710julie2710 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I'll lose mine too. Single parent with a salary of £46k but a company car which pushes my taxable over the £50k. I have two children 4 & 7 a mortgage of £1k a month plus childcare and bills etc.

Quite honestly, when David Cameron says this cut is fundamentally fair I could hit him! The man had no idea what it's like in the real world! Luckily for my neighbours who have no company cars and salaries of £49k each and no issues with child care that I have as they can rotate on holidays, pickups and drop offs they get to keep their £134 per month! Yep sounds fair to me :o
    MBNA [STRIKE]£2,029[/STRIKE] £1,145 Virgin [STRIKE]£8,712[/STRIKE] £7,957 Sainsbury [STRIKE]£6,870[/STRIKE] £5,575 M&S [STRIKE]£10,016[/STRIKE] £9,690 Barclaycard [STRIKE]£11,951[/STRIKE] £11,628 CTC [STRIKE]£7,629[/STRIKE] £6,789 Mortgage £[STRIKE]182,828[/STRIKE] £171,670
    LBM Dec12 excl mort 47,207/42,784 Dec13
    Excl mortg and CTC 39,578/35,995 Dec13
    Incl mortg 230,035/214,454 Dec13

Extra payment a week:this week £0 / YTD£1,457.55
  • FBabyFBaby Forumite
    18.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    julie2710 wrote: »
    I'll lose mine too. Single parent with a salary of £46k but a company car which pushes my taxable over the £50k. I have two children 4 & 7 a mortgage of £1k a month plus childcare and bills etc.

Quite honestly, when David Cameron says this cut is fundamentally fair I could hit him! The man had no idea what it's like in the real world! Luckily for my neighbours who have no company cars and salaries of £49k each and no issues with child care that I have as they can rotate on holidays, pickups and drop offs they get to keep their £134 per month! Yep sounds fair to me :o

It's people like you who really lose out of this situation and makes me so angry that they haven't made single parents of young children's an exception. It's an absolute disgrace that someone like you, already paying high taxes, will almost undoubtebly end up with less disposable income than someone not working, once everything is taken into account, or definitely if you also happen not to get any maintenance compared to a single mum on benefit entitled to keep all the maintenance she receives
  • julie2710julie2710 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    FBaby wrote: »
    It's people like you who really lose out of this situation and makes me so angry that they haven't made single parents of young children's an exception. It's an absolute disgrace that someone like you, already paying high taxes, will almost undoubtebly end up with less disposable income than someone not working, once everything is taken into account, or definitely if you also happen not to get any maintenance compared to a single mum on benefit entitled to keep all the maintenance she receives

No I don't get any maintenance at all. My ex hasn't paid anything for two years when he made himself unemployed and has decided that he's better off on benefits as he has his rent and council tax paid and apparently gets £72 per week "spending money". Clearly he is better off as he's just had 8 weeks holiday :eek:
    MBNA [STRIKE]£2,029[/STRIKE] £1,145 Virgin [STRIKE]£8,712[/STRIKE] £7,957 Sainsbury [STRIKE]£6,870[/STRIKE] £5,575 M&S [STRIKE]£10,016[/STRIKE] £9,690 Barclaycard [STRIKE]£11,951[/STRIKE] £11,628 CTC [STRIKE]£7,629[/STRIKE] £6,789 Mortgage £[STRIKE]182,828[/STRIKE] £171,670
    LBM Dec12 excl mort 47,207/42,784 Dec13
    Excl mortg and CTC 39,578/35,995 Dec13
    Incl mortg 230,035/214,454 Dec13

Extra payment a week:this week £0 / YTD£1,457.55
  • SuarezSuarez Forumite
    970 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    outofmoney wrote: »
    Unfortunately children don't always come when planned. I have four children which includes a set of twins. I was on the pill the whole time. Turns out my Dr wasn't very good and prescribed me one that wasn't very strong. So should I be blamed?

Sorry but this has to be a wind up?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides