MSE News: Child benefit cut to hit 1 million next Monday

Replies

• Gaz1971Gaz1971 Forumite
    486 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I love all these whining about losing their benefit, they appear on news channels, sitting on their big, expensive sofas, in their huge houses, big tv on the wall, 2 cars in the drive, 70 quid a month on Sky, 100 quid on mobiles, 3 holidays abroad each year, kids in posh, private schools and they whine because they are losing their benefits.

No wonder the welfare system is out of control, as well as paying out to those in need, who it was designed to help, its also paying out to people who are not only working, but earning a bloody good wage.
  • jobdone1jobdone1 Forumite
    747 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Gaz1971 wrote: »
    I love all these whining about losing their benefit, they appear on news channels, sitting on their big, expensive sofas, in their huge houses, big tv on the wall, 2 cars in the drive, 70 quid a month on Sky, 100 quid on mobiles, 3 holidays abroad each year, kids in posh, private schools and they whine because they are losing their benefits.

No wonder the welfare system is out of control, as well as paying out to those in need, who it was designed to help, its also paying out to people who are not only working, but earning a bloody good wage.

As you see from my post's i agree the tax payer should get something back from their hard work regardless of the overall income BECAUSE THEY CONTRIBUTE TO THE TAX SYSTEM. It is clear your very judgmental because for your information i along with other members believe in fairness and no i don't earn enough to lose mine as i am a lower rate TAX PAYER.
  • Does anyone know if you lose Widowed parents allowance too if you are in the higher tax payer range? WPA states it is paid until you stop getting Child Benefit (but what is the definition of Stop now!). If so, I could potential lose c£600 a month - this is a huge drop from my monthly income!
  • Gaz1971 wrote: »

I so agree - anyone on benefits including tax credits with a tv, mobile, sky or holiday needs their benefits reduced :)
  • FBaby wrote: »
    Why should they? If they have worked hard all their lives, made many sacrifices to get where they are, why should they have to re-evaluate their lifestyle? Is it how it is now, anyone who might potentially enjoy a pleasant house/car/holidays should feel ashamed of aspiring to such luxuries, and voluntary redistribute all their non-essential pay to those who have made different choices in life, in addition to what is already redistributed?

Would you be as assertive to a single mother with a £1000 a month mortgage (average in many part of the SE) and just about as much to pay in childcare? Do you really think another £125 is pure luxury to her?

I agree hard work should be rewarded and I nice holidays/houses are nothing to be ashamed of and I'm certainly not saying they should give away their disposable income to the poor. But just not to expect an already over-stretched welfare state to supplement that lifestyle if you don't NEED it. We are in the midst of a global financial crisis and are all feeling the pinch right now. But as you say it's about lifestyle choices and if someone has worked hard to earn a lot of money why would they need to have their wages topped up by the government?
  • I so agree - anyone on benefits including tax credits with a tv, mobile, sky or holiday needs their benefits reduced :)

If you take away their "entitlement" to Sky and TV they will go rioting on the streets because they will not know what to do with their time.
  • I have worked p/t on and off since my kids were born with the reassurance that receiving Child Benefit I would get NI credits for those times when my contributions were nil or insufficient to protect my state pension. My husband now earns over £60K and I am currently self-employed but only part time so earn much less. I am not sure whether to ditch the child benefit to save him the hassle of self-assessment (he finally got the green light from HMRC last year that he no longer needed to complete one after 3 years of hassle with them). Or should I continue to claim to get the NI credits for those times when my work dries up and let him pay the tax. From what I can see the tax is more than the actual benefit (if I read it right) so the latter option may not be the best although Martin says it is if we stash the money and then repay it. Does that mean my hubbie doesnt pay the tax if we repay the CB? Anyone any ideas/answers?
  • BlondBoyBlondBoy Forumite
    174 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    nixblags wrote: »
    I have worked p/t on and off since my kids were born with the reassurance that receiving Child Benefit I would get NI credits for those times when my contributions were nil or insufficient to protect my state pension. My husband now earns over £60K and I am currently self-employed but only part time so earn much less. I am not sure whether to ditch the child benefit to save him the hassle of self-assessment (he finally got the green light from HMRC last year that he no longer needed to complete one after 3 years of hassle with them). Or should I continue to claim to get the NI credits for those times when my work dries up and let him pay the tax. From what I can see the tax is more than the actual benefit (if I read it right) so the latter option may not be the best although Martin says it is if we stash the money and then repay it. Does that mean my hubbie doesnt pay the tax if we repay the CB? Anyone any ideas/answers?

The tax is never more than the Child Benefit you get.

If your husband's income is >£60k after pension deductions and you want to avoid him doing self assessment, just ask for CB payments to stop. They'll stop paying the CB, but you'll still get the NI credits.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefitcharge/whatnext.htm#5
  • searspsearsp Forumite
    21 Posts
    Sorry if this has already been asked previously. My income for the tax year 2012/13 would have been below 50k but due to redundancy from 31/12 my income (if you include the redundancy figure over and above the 30k tax free amount) will be above 50k.

I can't find anything to confirm if redundancy payments affect child benefit eligibility. If so, I'm assuming I will then become re-eligible from April 2013 when the new tax year starts?

Any guidance gratefully received

Thanks
  • My husband earns over the threshold (just) I live in Essex (in a cheap area) I rent (can't afford to buy, and have to move on a regular basis due to selling or wanting the house back, which costs money) have 3 kids that I don't claim a penny for other than the child benefit and will lose £180pm. I can't afford that. I don't have a nice car, nice clothes but do treat myself to Sky TV(my only luxury as we barely go out). However My step sister who doesn't work has a council house (bigger than mine and safe) has lovely clothes, goes to Costa alot, has Sky TV but is single gets all this, Oh and she has an Iphone, I don't???? How is this fair? This is not a fair system and the benefits need to be sorted out?? I do agree that people on silly incomes don't need it, however they have so much money that they know how to play the system and pay far less tax than us anyhow. Its those that also need to be targetted!! They don't take in to account how many children you have, and not that I want any more children, but certainly can't afford anymore, yet if I was on benefits (as I know many to) just keep having more kids as they don't have to worry about the financial aspect of it! I'm really cross about this and I'm sorry but its a rich and poor persons world, anyone in the middle forget about it! Theres no point in having any ambition as you get punished for it!!
    No more spending hard - Time for the scrimping!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides