MSE News: Child benefit cut to hit 1 million next Monday

Replies

• Suarez wrote: »
    Sorry but this has to be a wind up?

Why? Do you believe all Drs are excellent? Not every Dr will do thorough checks to make sure the prescription is 100% suited to the patient.
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    18.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IAINM wrote: »
    I have read that if you earn over £50k per year but pay the extra into a pension fund, you will still get the full child benefit. - is this correct?

e.g. earn £52K per year and pay £2k into a pension fund leaving £50K means you will get full child benefit
    Yes it's correct.
  • edited 7 January 2013 at 8:13PM
    zagfleszagfles Forumite
    18.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 January 2013 at 8:13PM
    outofmoney wrote: »
    We are classed as a low income family as we rely on Carers Allowance and Income Support. We have always had our Child Benefit taken off us as they class it as income.
    Are you not on CTC then? I thought everyone had been moved to CTC for the child parts of IS?

Even if you are still on IS rather than CTC for the child elements, it amounts to the same thing. It's just the IS elements include child ben whereas the CTC elements don't. Saying you have child ben "taken off" you is not true whatever.
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    18.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FBaby wrote: »
    It's people like you who really lose out of this situation and makes me so angry that they haven't made single parents of young children's an exception. It's an absolute disgrace that someone like you, already paying high taxes, will almost undoubtebly end up with less disposable income than someone not working, once everything is taken into account, or definitely if you also happen not to get any maintenance compared to a single mum on benefit entitled to keep all the maintenance she receives
    Let's face it, it's a simple policy designed to appeal to simpletons. Like the benefit cap. Unfair anomolies all over the place, but designed to appeal to Sun readers with an easy to understand headline. "benefits taken off high earners". What more do they need to know.

Politically it's brilliant. Even the unfair anomilies are politically brilliant, because it keeps people whinging, it keeps it in the headlines. All the Sun readers hear is "the rich whinging about losing benefits", they're not interested in the details, they don't care, as in their world anyone on over £30k is rich, never mind £50k. Even if it's shared between a family of 8, and even if those on benefits get more.

This sort of policy highlights the problem with democracy. Soundbite policies with a simple message get you votes. Appeal to Sun readers not FT readers, because there are far more of the former.
  • Gaz1971Gaz1971 Forumite
    488 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    The only thing that shocks me is that people earning 50k a year, or more, qualify for benefits at all. No wonder we have a deficit, we take tax off earnings and then give back 4 times as much in benefits.

Just seen a woman moaning on the news about how is she going to manage, huge house in posh suburb, 2 new, high end cars outside, 3k leather sofa, 40 in plasma on the wall, 70 quid a month Sky, 100 quid a month on mobiles and she cant afford to feed the kids!

Peoples priorities are all wrong these days.
  • Gaz1971 wrote: »
    The only thing that shocks me is that people earning 50k a year, or more, qualify for benefits at all. No wonder we have a deficit, we take tax off earnings and then give back 4 times as much in benefits.

Just seen a woman moaning on the news about how is she going to manage, huge house in posh suburb, 2 new, high end cars outside, 3k leather sofa, 40 in plasma on the wall, 70 quid a month Sky, 100 quid a month on mobiles and she cant afford to feed the kids!

Peoples priorities are all wrong these days.

You are confusing Tax Credits and Child Benefit.

Or my hubby can pay a quarter of what our child benefit was in tax by your logic.
  • zagfles wrote: »
    Are you not on CTC then? I thought everyone had been moved to CTC for the child parts of IS?

Even if you are still on IS rather than CTC for the child elements, it amounts to the same thing. It's just the IS elements include child ben whereas the CTC elements don't. Saying you have child ben "taken off" you is not true whatever.

We don't get CTC. For some reason we haven't been moved over.

However CB is deducted, it says on the letter it is classed as income and then taken away from the minimum amount we need to live on as they view it as income.
  • Setting aside the simplistic nature of the previous post by Gaz (but at least you are not alone, as a similar short-sighted view was taken by this mongrel government to come up with this crock legislation in the first place) has anyone else contacted HMRC to confirm when they need to self-assess?

-- Always, if one person earns over £50k gross before any evasions (sorry, I mean allowances)
    -- Only if the Net income (bit of a misnomer) after allowing for sacrifices such as Childcare vouchers, pens contribs etc is higher than £50k

Sounds like you have to register for SA, even if its only for them to then tell you that you won't need to pay any additional tax - which seems me to be be a it of a waste of resources... So the changes are both unfair (in respect of how they are being applied, fairness of entitlement is another discussion) and uneconomical of resources - perhaps even costing more to implement and administer than they will save...?

Cheers
  • And what's with this "newbie" post-it:rotfl:

I'm a PSN regular - nothing can be said to me that hasn't already been said by some pimply 14yr old Yank called Chad, getting wound up that I've just run over him in a tank... :eek:

I welcome all comments, +ve and constructive, as long as they are intelligent.

Or alternatively, just slag me off if it makes you feel good about yourself... ;)
  • I hadn't realised I now get a 40% reduction on

School Trips as goes to the parents association a charity
    Beavers, Scouts, Brownies and Guides - all charities
    Trips out (National trust holder, Zoo's, Museums), loads of places.

I'm rather chuffed that in addition to popping into a pension and having the government pay I can now pay 40% less on all above including pantomine trips etc.

Well more than the CB
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides