PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Great 'how do you stop fruit and veg rotting' Hunt

Comments

• Thought I would share on this post an item I only found a couple of months ago but which my family are finding really helps - Fresh Pod. They claim it extends the life of fruit and veg by up to 4x longer, and I have to say I agree - we used to have to get a new lettuce every week, now we are still using it after 3 weeks! The sachets absorb the gas given off as fruit and veg ripen which also makes them rot faster, and once a sachet has been used (it lasts for roughly 6-9 months) the contents can be put on plants as a fertiliser - I looked it up and it's basically the same thing as Miracle Grow! It's £12.99 for a years supply (this is with P+P, I think this is quite cheap for how much longer we are getting out of our stuff) you get 4 sachets and 2 Pods, which we put in the fridge and the fruit bowl, and after that it's £7.99 for refills each year (but if you go on their Facebook they are usually running some sort of promotion - with my first pod I got a card saying use code FRIEND for 10% off, and when my friend recently ordered with code PEC13 she got another Pod free!)

It really does work, have got all my friends using them and they agree - wouldn't go without it now!

Just google it and the website should come up :)

Hope you find this useful :)
  • unixgirluk wrote: »
    We grew too many chillis this year. I dried them and put them into jars (and gave some as presents!).

nice i think thats a great present especially if you like hot food !
  • Figgerty wrote: »
    Thank you for such an informative post and the pictures of all the different bags. The only one I have in my home is the bread bag and that works quite well. Where did you buy the other containers?

oh these would have been great unusual xmas presents if i knew earlier lol
  • allym464 wrote: »
    most of my vegetables last but for some reason my carrots dont. They always go limpstastic after a few days and have to go in a stew or something as floppy carrots arent appetising on a plate!
    I also had this problem - but not any more! I first top and tail the carrots then submerge them in water in either a tall fridge door jug or a plastic box with lid. They keep for 3/4 weeks easily - but I do change the water each week. It may make the container take on a slightly orange tinge eventually but I have done this for over five years and never had to throw any carrots away !!
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Jo4 wrote: »
    Thanks! :T They were the only bags I could find but since they were not exactly the same name as the op stated I wasn't sure if they were the right bags.

Does any know if cheaper versions are available in B&M, Factory Shop, Poundland or Home Bargains as I will not be near any of these shops until Saturday?

I looked Poundland and £Stretcher but neither of them had the cheaper version, perhaps though it was just the stores that I visited which didn't have them.

Has anyone found the cheaper versions yet?
  • nanabren wrote: »
    I also had this problem - but not any more! I first top and tail the carrots then submerge them in water in either a tall fridge door jug or a plastic box with lid. They keep for 3/4 weeks easily - but I do change the water each week. It may make the container take on a slightly orange tinge eventually but I have done this for over five years and never had to throw any carrots away !!
    Sorry!! I forgot to say that I then put the container with the carrots in the fridge - most important.
  • Bought the Stayfresh type of bags but from a £shop. Totally did not work - in fact the veg went off quicker than before and the bags ended up full of condensation thus making the veg wet and soft. Have still got the Stayfresh type bags in a drawer but now I store veg in the fridge in paper bags and this seems to work OK.
  • Figgerty wrote: »
    Thank you for such an informative post and the pictures of all the different bags. The only one I have in my home is the bread bag and that works quite well. Where did you buy the other containers?

I don't know where Meadows gets her bags/containers but I have similar potato and onion bags (black lined) bought from Poundland and they really do keep the contents fresher for longer. For £1 I wasn't expecting miracles but they really do work. I have never seen the banana bags and would like to know where to get those - bananas are just about the worst fruit to keep fresh. I hate them when they turn brown speckled! My DD hangs hers off a banana stand but it doesn't seem to make them last any longer.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2013 at 9:53AM
    Seemingly Lakeland, Amazon for starters regarding Banana Bags but so far those examples are quite expensive...

The cheapest seems to be around the £5 mark.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    AngryPig wrote: »
    Apparently bananas give off a gas (ethylene), which promotes the ripening process. This would explain the comments here that bananas should be kept away from other fruit and veg unless you want to acceleratetheir ripening. Off topic, I know, but putting a banana in a paper bag with other under-ripe fuit will help to ripen the fruit (eg those nasty "ripen at home" plums, that just go rotten before they are edible!).

Most of our surplus gets frozen - usually after being made into soup / mash etc. If we have any bread left after a few days and its going a bit dry, we freeze it for making toast.

I was going to post about ethylene gas too. It's a plant hormone. Apples also emit a lot of it, so I also keep them apart from other fruit and vegetables. You can also perform a similar experiment with a clear plastic bag containing an apple and a house plant to encourage it to flower.

As for helping things last, I don't do anything else particularly special. I just buy small amounts often and use them quickly. Not terribly insightful I know, but it works for me as I have almost no fruit or vegetables that go bad. I prefer to pick my own lose as I get the amount I want, rather than packets that will have left overs. I don't buy much in plastic, but if I do I take it out as it seems to make things stay humid and go bad faster.

The one thing which does catch me out however is sometimes nectarines go bad before they ripen, and I'm not sure how to avoid that? I also wonder what is special about these ones that they do this? I suspect they may have been kept in a fridge for some time and have aged without ripening, so they look newer than they really are, but it's a guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure