PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding - A New Start

Options

Comments

• blossomhill_2
    Options
    My sister gave me pyjamas for Christmas - in a size 12.

I am a size 16!

I am currently doing slimming world, but I'm only a stone off my target and i can't see me dropping 2 more sizes....

I have 2 daughters - currently a size 6/8.

So do I keep or charity bag?
    Oh dear, any chance of a return or is she likely to have bought them in last January's sales? Or taking them in for DD?

I used to tell my late mum not to buy me anything smaller than a 20 (I was an 18 but wanted to make a point) - every year she'd say "I know you said that but I bought this 16 because it's ENORRRRRMOUS!", holding it out to demonstrate the massiveness - which I'd then try to try on and and wouldn't even fit one of my legs! Other people's perceptions huh! :D
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Books - I sell them on Am@z0n x
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • nightsong
    nightsong Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My sister gave me pyjamas for Christmas - in a size 12.

I am a size 16!

I am currently doing slimming world, but I'm only a stone off my target and i can't see me dropping 2 more sizes....

I have 2 daughters - currently a size 6/8.

So do I keep or charity bag?

How incredibly annoying. I have a friend who keeps doing this - buying me size 10/12 stuff when I'm a 16. No amount of TELLING her I'm a 16 seems to make any difference - I've long ago stopped hinting! (She also knows for sure that my DS's long-term gf is called Chloe - actually her name is Kerry, but of course my friend knows best)

Anyway, agree with other posters - exchange if you can, otherwise rehome and get yourself some really nice pjs that fit properly. I would say, are you daughters still growing, in which case is it worth saving them for them? But that would be rather close to hoarding, so I won't ;)

And once again thanks to all on this thread for the inspiration - I have a nice grey cardigan given me by said friend which has been nowhere near fitting me for about five years now - I think it's time to let it go!
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    Options
    I have just given a handbag to my mum via DS. I actually like the handbag but have a number of other bags that I use. I was given it second hand anyway. It meant I had to go through it all. All bits and bobs of paper, receipts etc that have been shredded.

Also gone - a sturdy cardboard box for my relative to use for her goods for selling.

Some computer software that I don't use (nearly new). Another relative may use it to teach himself.

Some stationery has gone too.

Still a lot of stuff knocking about to be sorted. I'm dribs and drabs as it feels too much.

Going to unpack the tumble drier while DD is asleep so she won't help me by pulling it out and dropping it on the floor.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    DundeeDoll wrote: »
    Where do you guys sell your dvds? And cds? And vinyls? Is selling books worthwhile taking into consideration postage?

I've sold DVDs on eBay. They do tend to get sold after two or three listings, sometimes for the bare minimum of 0.99p, othertimes there's a mini bidding war. I've managed to sell a few at a fiver each. It seems very variable for DVDs on eBay, with no rhyme or reason on the outcome of the auction.

With books, I mostly list on Greenmetropolis. You get £3 per book, but postage for an average book is £2.20, so I'll never make my fortune on book sales! It can be very slow on GM. If you have a lot of books to sell it would take a long time to shift them. However, what I do like about GM, is that you list them once and they stay on until you sell them or take them off. I've sold a couple this month which I listed 2 years ago.

I've tried eBay for books - it depends on the book how it sells. I've found that cookery books always do well, but general fiction is very slow.

As for vinyl, I'm in the process of selling all our 7 inch singles on eBay. I did try listing the records seperately, and sold the odd one, but I wouldn't live long enough to sell them all like that. I now list in lots of between 50 and 70 records. They usually go for around £12 to £15. I include free postage in the price, so when the postage is taken into account I don't make much. But to be honest I just want to be shot of them, so I'm pricing them to sell. However I have kept a few of the rarer records back for selling individually.

I've never sold CD's before, but when I've sold off our singles and LP's I will be making a start on CDs.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    Options
    I have surprised myself by getting rid of a box file. I had been sellotaped up but you could still see the big tear on the hinge and it was the wrong colour, and I had another one. But it did not look that good even though it was okay function-wise. If I needed to take the contents anywhere, I'd've had to put them in something else.

Also chopped up an old blood donor card as I now have a silver one. Usually I would have kept the old one too. Why? It's hardly as if I would have needed to present it at the gateway to heaven.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks goldiegirl. Ive got dd at home this year and ive offered her the option of selling the stuff or taking it to the charity shop so shall pass on that advice.
    oH has just popped into DS's room where i'm having a well earned rest and commented on how good it looks :-) right time for a cuppa
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • cyclingyorkie
    Options
    nightsong wrote: »
    How incredibly annoying. I have a friend who keeps doing this - buying me size 10/12 stuff when I'm a 16. No amount of TELLING her I'm a 16 seems to make any difference - I've long ago stopped hinting! (She also knows for sure that my DS's long-term gf is called Chloe - actually her name is Kerry, but of course my friend knows best)

Anyway, agree with other posters - exchange if you can, otherwise rehome and get yourself some really nice pjs that fit properly. I would say, are you daughters still growing, in which case is it worth saving them for them? But that would be rather close to hoarding, so I won't ;)

And once again thanks to all on this thread for the inspiration - I have a nice grey cardigan given me by said friend which has been nowhere near fitting me for about five years now - I think it's time to let it go!

Well they came without a label - they are very nice but I don't think i will ever get my boobs into a sze 12. Last year she bought me size 18 and I shrank out of them.

The annoying thing is she is a slimming world member too - and she knows I'm struggling with my weight loss - I've hit the menopause and it is playing havoc with the diet!

I did try them on - largely cos she said they are a 'big 12', but I'm not going to get my 40DD boobs into them ( and I'm happy with my boobs).

I suspect she got them cheap/freebie/on offer. The list of useless Christmas presents from her grows - books/DVDs I already have or am not interested in, clothes that don't fit..... I used to buy her what she wanted but she never returned the compliment - guess we have very different ideas on Christmas.

Incidentally thsi year I covered both my mums and sister's presents using my Boots points. Each got a framed selection of prints from my 50th birthday celebrations - my mum was made up - really delighted. My sister didn't open it when I was WITH HER FOR 3 DAYS - at my mums and hasn't mentioned it since.

She bought my OH Sesame St pyjamas ( which do fit:mad:) and my son got 1 pair of Bjorn Borg boxers ........ she had already covered the DD's, who obviously did best out of it all!
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • blossomhill_2
    Options
    Well I'd be tempted to make them into a cushion, only bring it out when she visits and have it sitting on a prominent chair.
    If she does ask, say "well they didn't fit so I made them into a cushion"
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Options
    Well I'd be tempted to make them into a cushion, only bring it out when she visits and have it sitting on a prominent chair.
    If she does ask, say "well they didn't fit so I made them into a cushion"

:rotfl::rotfl:

Love it!

Have spent a few hours organising the larder. It's not perfect but much better than it was; have added a few things to the foodbank donation and [STRIKE]palmed off[/STRIKE] offered some things to my mum and sister like a sack of potatoes (doing south beach so can't eat them) and a bag of suet mix (ditto).

Also put an almost new M&S top into the charity shop bag (along with a few other items) - been struggling with this as it wasn't cheap and I have only worn it a few times but it is too warm for the office and not warm enough for home plus I feel frumpy in it. So out it goes... the same top in a different colour is still in the wardrobe though but shhh don't tell anyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure