Issue at bedtime

Options

Comments

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »
    Remember that next time you re being treated for a brain tumor, cancer or heart failure.

My mother's doctor missed her brain tumour and told her it was 'nerves' and my Aunt's doctor missed her throat cancer and guess what...that was nerves too. :rotfl:

Just sayin'......:D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    Remember that next time you re being treated for a brain tumor, cancer or heart failure.

Funny you should say that. A colleagues father died prematurely after being misdiagnosed, he had blood cancer. Another colleague nearly died after his doctor repeatedly refused to examine him. After 6 months a physio noticed a growth at the base of his spine, he was sent to the hospital, diagnosed with a late stage cancer, and given chemotherapy. The consultant said he was weeks away from death, and because the treatment was so late, he lost sensation in his fingers. Had he not had private medical insurance, allowing him to see the consultant before he went on holiday, he would be dead. The consultant wrote an angry letter to the doctor, who shrugged it off. My own minor experience includes going to a doctor because my knees were so sore I could barely climb stairs. She said there was nothing wrong. It took a running shoe shop manager to diagnose a problem with my gait, and he suggested shoe inserts, which did the job. I was previously given false information on another problem by numerous doctors. My late mother waited 10 years for cataract operations (fantastic, apparently), and then less than a year later she died.

The NHS does fantastic things in some areas, such as patching up car accident victims, or heart surgery, but GPs are mostly useless.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to jump in here, but having survived a brain tumour myself, I have nothing but praise for doctors. Imagine the job they face every day, putting up with all sorts of ailments, sickness and moaning hypocondriacs!?

I went to the doc feeling light-headed and getting sick. If everyone that went to a doc with those symptoms got diagnosed with a brain tumour 'just in case', imagine the panic and mis-trust it would instill? The doc gave me a nasal spray for potential sinusitis, but it didn't clear after 2/3 more days, and once I went back they sent me for tests. CT scan showed the tumour, and I was operated on and back to work within 3 weeks. I appreciate the way I was treated by the doc, because there wasn't a worst case assumption.

I work at a garage, and if we assumed the worst with every car that came in, we could spend hours and customers money on completely unnecessary parts and causing worry. Sometimes a problem can just be a blown fuse...know what I mean?!
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    Options
    TiTheRev wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in here, but having survived a brain tumour myself, I have nothing but praise for doctors. Imagine the job they face every day, putting up with all sorts of ailments, sickness and moaning hypocondriacs!?

I went to the doc feeling light-headed and getting sick. If everyone that went to a doc with those symptoms got diagnosed with a brain tumour 'just in case', imagine the panic and mis-trust it would instill? The doc gave me a nasal spray for potential sinusitis, but it didn't clear after 2/3 more days, and once I went back they sent me for tests. CT scan showed the tumour, and I was operated on and back to work within 3 weeks. I appreciate the way I was treated by the doc, because there wasn't a worst case assumption.

I work at a garage, and if we assumed the worst with every car that came in, we could spend hours and customers money on completely unnecessary parts and causing worry. Sometimes a problem can just be a blown fuse...know what I mean?!

I see what you're saying, but with respect, your good experience doesn't mitigate other's bad ones.

My Mother was left banging her head off the wall in agony before her symptoms were finally taken seriously.

My Aunt's diagnosis (and therefore treatment) was delayed so much by poor medical care that her Consultant told her if she wanted to bring a negligence case, he would be more than happy to support her, he was so angry at the GP. Given at how much the medical profession tend to close rank and stick together, that was quite a telling offer.

Of course most Doctors are great but not all are.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    My mother's doctor missed her brain tumour and told her it was 'nerves' and my Aunt's doctor missed her throat cancer and guess what...that was nerves too. :rotfl:

My sister's brain tumour was missed by 2 GPs. She saw them numerous times over a short period of time, even accompanied by her worried husband and they put it down to depression and one even shouted at her for not accepting she was depressed.

She had severe headaches, sickness on waking, palpitations, dizzy spells, loss of co-ordination, trouble walking and the shakes.

They refused a home visit when she was violently sick at home with what we now realise was actually a seizure. She was admitted to hospital the following day after we insisted a doctor came out. A brain scan that day revealed a tumour and despite surgery she died a month later.

TiTheRev wrote: »

I'm so glad that your surgery treated your symptoms seriously :)

My mother was repeatedly told by GP she was depressed when in fact she had terminal bowel cancer. Even when she was diagnosed by A&E he said the enlargement of her liver wasn't really an enlargement it was just because she was so thin.

A work colleague told by GP she IBS was found to have bowel cancer after collapsing in work. Her GP said he thought she was too young (she is later 40s).

Very little faith in GPs sorry!
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    the_devil_made_me_do_it Posts: 5,567 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2013 at 9:04PM
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »

My father was mis-diagnosed with high blood pressure, turned out he had a terminal brain tumour. My dad never ever went to the doctors unless he really had to. He also never suffered with high blood pressure either. He suffered needlessly & if he had been diagnosed much earlier, he would still have died but would have been made more comfortable by the correct medication. He had all the symptoms of this particular brain tumour.

Basically doctors do miss things unfortunately.

Getting back to the OP, I also experience this problem & when I get up in the morning after having a night like you have described, I feel very shivery. I'm not worried about it, I just put it down to one of those things. After saying that I really suffer with nightmares.
  • julessays
    julessays Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all, strange one for you but I am at a loss with what to do...

Problem:
    I wake up most mornings very cold but also very sweaty.

Details:
    No heating on over night, it only gets used about an hour per night anyway.
    I'm not wearing pyjamas, just some pants.
    No heating/cooling devices on and windows slightly cracked open for air.
    I have a medium feather duvet with no quilt on top.
    I've had this duvet for 2 years now and only been getting cold and sweaty the last 6 months or so.
    Nothing has changed in that time that I can think would have an effect on my sleeping.
    Lastly, when I wake up I am usually "cocooned" in my duvet, despite being cold.

Is anyone able to shed some light on what I could do to try avoid the cold sweats in the morning?

Is your bedding (sheet/duvet cover) 100% cotton? Sometimes find I get clammy if I'm using polycotton bedding/jimjams
  • thehappybutterfly
    Options
    I get night sweats too and looking at the responses, it could be any one of these things! But there is nothing worse than waking up soaked in sweat, getting up for the loo and then back into the wet bed which is now f-f-freeeezing!
  • BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    Options
    Does your heating come on at all in the morning? It doesn't have to be in the bedroom, but if it is set to come on at e.g. 6am (which ours is), it could be that the resulting rise in temperature in the house could be to blame.

Just a more prosaic suggestion, in case it really isn't a brain tumour ......
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family