Netflix question.....

Hi all :)
I cannot see the answer so hoping someone can help.....
If we sign up to netflix can anyone in the house watch it?
(as in can you view from multiple consoles?)

2 boys in different rooms plus us downstairs on 1 membership watching at the same time?

Thanks
DEBT FREE AND PROUD:D
'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'

Comments

• You can register it on several devices and I have tested it with two at once. However what broadband have you got? Three at once is going to require a fair amount of bandwidth and use a lot of data especially if you want a good picture by putting it in HD. You mentioned more than one console. Video requires more than gaming does.

Here a simple test. Play a hd video from YouTube on your computer and two consoles at once. If it suffers then your Netflix experience likely to.
  • Thanks for the advice. No idea of bandwidth we have unlimited bb with BT if that helps?! No idea what bb speed we have. Is there anyway to find out?
    'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
  • pullenuk
    pullenuk Posts: 305 Forumite
    Www.speedtest.net

Use the speed test on that site using a pc/laptop connected via cable NOT wireless. That will give you the speed.

If you report it here I can help. Also advise on how everything is connected wireless or cable please.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    'Unlimited' means unlimited monthly data usage-not line speed/bandwidth. Different things.
    You could have an unlimited contract, but still have an extremely slow line.
    Subject to this, Homeplugs are probably the best way to feed the signals.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Homeplugs..... Will google that :) as for the speed I'll have to dig out a cable to connect to t'internet and see. Ill post back when I have results..... Thanks
  • Until you are able to feedback on your broadband speeds any advice given here will likely not to be as useful as it can be. Are you using "normal" broadband or know as ASDL? Or are you using Fibre Optic (known as Infinity)?

Sounds like everything is connected via wireless...... this alone doesn't look good. Wireless can be slower especially if several devices are using it at once and if you are using older wireless devices. However if you are using latest ones you might be ok.

The best way to help us figure out your network and internet is to get your computer connected to the router directly, make sure no-one else is using the internet and run that speed test.

Then the second lot of details which will be useful is letting us know exactly how your network is setup. List everything that uses the internet and how it connects (wireless or cable). If you can find out, let us know what wireless you are using (B, G, or N or the speed of it)

Homeplugs (also known as Powerline) is a clever bit of kit that uses the electric wiring in your home to act like network cables. Its dead simple to install and saves putting cable down everywhere. It's basically a box where you install one by the router and one by the device you wish to connect via cable. The Homeplug box had a network cable port on it, simply join it with the router and the same on the other end. Job done. However it can be expensive and you should aim for at least 200mbps ones.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Infinity is 'Fibre Optic' ? Nonsense! It is the same copper connection as standard ADSL. It might be a bit closer, but it certainly isn't fibre. Neither is a cable (Virgin) BB a FO service - but it certainly is a lot faster than Infinity!

Don't fall for the marketing claptrap. Until you get fibre to the premises, everything else is copper.
  • pullenuk
    pullenuk Posts: 305 Forumite
    Buzby get lost. Cant you see I'm dealing with someone that isn't an expert in computers like myself. I'm very well aware of what it is but you have to keep it simple for people. Your input doesn't help the discussion. By the way infinity can be true fibre as you can get FTTP you are clearly talking about the more common cheaper FTTC. BT marketing might be Claptrap but most people buying their product are basic or average computer users who doesn't even detailed information or probably doesn't even care for it. Good day!
  • Timalay
    Timalay Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Buzby wrote: »
    Infinity is 'Fibre Optic' ? Nonsense! It is the same copper connection as standard ADSL. It might be a bit closer, but it certainly isn't fibre. Neither is a cable (Virgin) BB a FO service - but it certainly is a lot faster than Infinity!

Don't fall for the marketing claptrap. Until you get fibre to the premises, everything else is copper.

It's still a darn site better than just cooper, and a step in the right direction.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Timalay wrote: »
    It's still a darn site better than just cooper
    Just like that!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income