Barclaycard £50 Credit for bad press

Options

Comments

• Oli20
    Oli20 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    £40 Cashback

I called to cancel today as I came to the end of my 0% period and a few weeks ago I had transferred my balance to Tesco (no fee, 12 months 0%). The loyalty department initially offered me £20, and when pushed for a better offer, came back with £40! Tried pushing for £50 but they were not willing to offer anything more. £40 for 4 mins on the phone, happy days!
  • ncfc1902
    ncfc1902 Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently paid off my Barclaycard BT, and filled in online contact form to close account. The next day I got a text message asking me to call. Was told not point in closing account as there is no charge to leave it open! Also got offered 1% interest for 12 months. Finally got offered a £50 "interest rebate" to keep the account open, which I gratefully accepted!
  • Johnsonlucy
    Options
    I tried to cancel a month ago and they offered me £50 which i transferred to my current account. Today i tried to cancel again and they offered me £20! Just giving it away!!
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 August 2013 at 7:55PM
    Options
    Just tried this. Message sent via online banking yesterday and just had the call. Was asked what I would accept and said a cash incentive. Was offered 1% cashback for 6 months and declined. Said I would like a one off payment but the most I could get was £20. At least it's something useful and will go back to not using it after I have used the incentive.

Interestingly they could only offer £20 as I have always paid the card off in full (even though I have had it for 7 years)
  • chelle_m
    Options
    I was offered £50 to stay when I tried to call and cancel this week. I just kept saying I wasn't interested in staying and I'd already done the balance transfer (which was true), and they offered it. As far as I can gather, I can wait a couple of months and then close my account and the £50 can be credited to a nominated bank account.
  • hilda1
    hilda1 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    Cancelled my card today. Was offered loads of incentives (i.e. 0 % balance transfer, etc.) to keep my card. Not offered this time any cashback to stay. Can't complain as I have got £50 from B/card in previous calls in order not to cancel !

Now I am in profit (big style !:rotfl:) with my credit cards. Always (almost...but wait !!) paid my balance off in full each month. For the very few times that I have paid late, I have always managed to claim back the late payment fees and Halifax even refunded me twice (Just wish that I was still with H/fax !!:)).

As they say, c'est la ve !!:)
    :)Have a beer! :beer:
  • Bev2teach_2
    Options
    I rang up just now having read this and they gave me £50 credit !! Thank you !!
  • Julia21
    Julia21 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I phoned to cancel my Barclaycard yesterday and was offered numerous deals which did not suit me so declined them all and when she realised I was really serious about cancelling the advisor in Customer Retentions offered me £20 which of course I took. I still want to cancel the card so will phone up in a few weeks to do so. Hopefully they will offer me £50 next but I doubt it. Has anyone had more than one cash offer to keep the account?
    :T:beer::T
  • rob_s0
    rob_s0 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,
    Just wanted to share my experience as well. I called this morning to cancel a Barclaycard I haven't used in a long time and although I didn't get the £50 cash, I was offered a Barclaycard Freedom Rewards account which inititally I wasn't keen on, but the nice man on the phone told me that if I spend £500 on it in the first three months (easily done!) then I'd get a £50 voucher for one of their partners. The reward partners are generally a bit naff apart from M&S and Lakeland but it's still better than nothing as I do shop in there from time to time. I'd rather have had the cash but the rewards are certainly better than nothing (basically equating to 10% back!)
  • deptfreemoneytart
    Options
    Back in the mid 80's I opened an account with First Direct with my son. I did this so that I could keep an eye on my son's finances. I didn't use the account, only my son used it.
    He got married and stopped using the account. I closed the account but found out later that, after being asked by me to close it, he didn't. I finally got him to close the account in the mid 90's.
    In the last couple of years I have tried twice to open a new account with First Direct, to take advantage of the service and the £100 NEW Customer cash-back.
    On both occasions I have been refused as a new customer and have been informed that I am still an old customer even though my son and I have both closed the account (I have confirmed with First Direct that both myself and my son have closed the account).

Why is it then that First Direct can say I can't be a new customer after such a long time, when I see a list on Martins site of other banks that allow you to be a NEW customer as soon as 1 to 6 months after cancelling an account?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure