Fence spray or just brush

Replies

• roswellroswell Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use a wall paper paste brush it will be just as easy and quick, also saves having to explain why the neighbours roses are a funnky shade of ceder red and the white car is now red ....
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • wobbleywobbley Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    glenderg wrote: »
    I use creosote mixed with waste engine oil about 70/30 ratio every 2 or 3 years . Fence is as good today as the day i put it up 35 years ago.
    I have always brushed it on, don't think it would be suitable for spraying but you never know until you try.
    Money saving advice hopefully
    Eeeek! - imagine spraying that mixture. You would have the 'Environment Police' down on you like a ton of bricks. I assume you mean that you 'used to use' creosote because it is now banned? There are even restrictions on using old railway sleepers that were treated with creosote 30 years ago.
    Light blue touchpaper and stand well back !
  • ferrymanferryman Forumite
    22 Posts
    hi
    done mine afew week's ago used wick'es pump action sprayer.£20 & & £10 per container . tip if your concrete post look shabby spray them as well .saves on time cutting in and it look's the bizzzzzzzzzzzz.don't forget to wash out the sprayer after use.
  • lilyann1lilyann1 Forumite
    514 Posts
    I used a wall paper paste brush too on my but you need elbow grease to get in all the nooks and crannies and its hard work.
    I got covered in sprays and spots too even with the brush.A friend has the sprayer and thinks it great.If you're doing it near the conservatory,either remember to wash conservatory down straight after from splashes or cover it with old sheets. The sprayer is much more effective and much less hard work.
  • Woby_TideWoby_Tide Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    was considering buying the sprayer then some friends who had said they worked really well to do their fences last year. they got the stuff out to paint the shed this summer and they can't unclog the sprayer at all despite following all teh cleaning instructions when they used it last year. So beware, it may be a redundant piece of equipment after each use
  • JennyW_2JennyW_2 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    I used my FIL's electric spray gun last year and bought some cuprinol fence paint. I watered it down: 2 thirds paint and 1 third water - it worked a treat. If I used the product neat it would just clog up the spray nozzle.

If the paint is water based then you should have no problems watering it down.
  • George_BrayGeorge_Bray Forumite
    734 Posts
    ✭✭
    glenderg wrote: »
    I use creosote mixed with waste engine oil
    ...Money saving advice hopefully

Where do you get creosote from, please? I thought it had been banned years' ago and the substitutes are nowhere near as good.

Regards
    George
  • glendergglenderg Forumite
    383 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Where do you get creosote from, please? I thought it had been banned years' ago and the substitutes are nowhere near as good.

Regards
    George

Correct George you can't, when they banned it i bought 4 x 5 gallon drums cheap (all used now) You are correct about the substitute too but mixed with waste oil still does a good job.;)
    Be good to the young on their way up you might need them on your way down.
  • Yeah creosote was the stuff to use....it stopped the wood rotting & made it last for ages...that's probably why they banned it !
  • isitenoughisitenough Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would also like to ask you to be careful if you're spraying! My neighbour did his fences last year and I had my washing out at the time. Yep, you've guessed, the washing nearer the fence came in with little brown specks on! Came off eventually, after about half a dozen washes (even then some specks still appear!)
    So please, check the neighbours haven't got anything behind the fence before you spray!
    Thank you to everyone who posts comps! :A
    I would like to be lucky,healthy & happy in 2020! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides