We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

RBS Royalties Gold

Options

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    chambta wrote: »
    The breakdown cover will be much improved. The majority of the benefits being lost were barely used.

Well maybe not by you, but when I had Royalties Gold the ticket booking service (with 25% discount) was something that I used a lot, and even now I get quite a few tickets that are booked by friends who still have the account (the few that still have jobs at RBS and therefore get RG free).
  • sabbath180
    Options
    This is terrible news for me. I signed up to Royalties Gold specifically for the ticket booking service as I go to so many gigs. Travel insurance and mobile phone insurance were added bonuses and the only other services I used, except for very occasionally booking a flight with the travel service.

Now that the ticket booking service is being discontinued I'll be closing my account at the end of February. Does anyone know if there's a notice period to do that?

Also, do any other banks offer a similar ticket discount service? I seem to remember someone else had a very similar offer but can't remember which bank that was now.
  • chambta
    chambta Posts: 2,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't see how the ticket booking service was cost effective to the bank. 25% cashback on pretty much anything was too expensive to continue with effectively.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    chambta wrote: »
    I can't see how the ticket booking service was cost effective to the bank. 25% cashback on pretty much anything was too expensive to continue with effectively.

I seriously doubt whether it was costing the bank anything like 25% of the ticket price, they will have arranged deals with ticket providers to buy them at a discounted rate.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are looking for an alternative to include home emergency cover it looks like the Halifax Ultimate reward account ,£10 per month if you pay in £1000 otherwise £15, is probably the best bet - no branches in Scotland though but I plan to just open online. Their inclusive AA cover is upgradable to include relay for £50-60 depending on whether you need single/joint cover.
  • madgagoo
    madgagoo Posts: 354 Forumite
    Options
    Won't apply to many as there is a minimum income requirement (100k or 150k joint) but the RBS/Natwest BLACK account still offers 25% tickets cashback and home emergency cover. Higher monthly fee (£24) as well though. Obviously this is at the moment, it might change in the future like royalties told has.

Not recommending it, just to make people aware!
  • Gerry_E
    Options
    I opened a joint Royalties Gold account for the main reason of travel insurance and concert ticket discounts. After receiving my letter today from RBS advising of the reduction of services offered whilst no change to what they are charging, I priced up the cost of annual travel insurance. It is now a no brainer.... arrivederci RBS !! I will alspo be closing my 4 other accounts with this greedy company. I will leave one account open for paying direct debits, transfer a sufficient amount in every month from my building society to cover and let them incur the admin costs of actioning my DD bill payment, a little bit of satisfaction gained from that !! They realy do not do PR well at all, greedy bank gets even greedier, time to act comrades :-)
  • leithman1
    Options
    sabbath180 wrote: »
    This is terrible news for me. I signed up to Royalties Gold specifically for the ticket booking service as I go to so many gigs. Travel insurance and mobile phone insurance were added bonuses and the only other services I used, except for very occasionally booking a flight with the travel service.

Now that the ticket booking service is being discontinued I'll be closing my account at the end of February. Does anyone know if there's a notice period to do that?

Also, do any other banks offer a similar ticket discount service? I seem to remember someone else had a very similar offer but can't remember which bank that was now.

We have just had notification of the changes. have never used the accidental death coverage but now may be a good time.

Have saved an absolute fortune with the ticket booking service. I think this must have cost someone a lot to cover and not surprised they can't carry this forward.

Pre existing medical meant that I could get cheaper cover else where but we have saved in the past with that.

not happy about the identity protection. I think this suggests that banks expect this to cause a major headache in the future.:(
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    leithman1 wrote: »
    not happy about the identity protection. I think this suggests that banks expect this to cause a major headache in the future.:(

That's what those who sell ID protection would love people to believe.

Read this article, it puts a realistic perspective on the ID protection industry: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/identity-fraud
  • parkview094
    Options
    My account change notification appears to have gotten lost in the post, but just seen the details on RBS' web site. Terrible new for me as the Home Emergency Cover, 10% off Travel and 25% off tickets were my most used features.

..so.. I've spotted that Ulster bank seems to offer similar benefits to the old Royalties Gold for £9 a month. Will give them a go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure