RBS Royalties Gold

Options
I received an email today informing that the RBS Royalties Gold account is to undergo some changes, and some benefits are to be dropped altogether.

Ticket Booking Service, Accidental Death Insurance, Identity Theft Protection, Home Emergency Service, and discounts and preferential rates on a fixed list of other products will no longer be offered as part of Royalties Gold.

Needless to say the monthly charge is to remain the same!

It is a shame that RBS could not keep this service for their existing customer base, or giving us the choice to pay a little extra per month.

They have no other like for like account.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well that's me going back to a standard account.
  • Southernman
    Options
    Don't worry, price hike on its way. Watch this space.
    Mortgage 1: May 2012 £90,000 April 2020: £47,000
    Mortgage 2: £270,000😱 Jan 2019 £253,000 April 2020
  • chambta
    chambta Posts: 2,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The breakdown cover will be much improved. The majority of the benefits being lost were barely used.
  • rusty_frog
    Options
    chambta wrote: »
    The majority of the benefits being lost were barely used.

I would agree with the above, especially regarding the accidental death benefit!:)

However if your statement is correct, then surely it would not have cost the RBS too much to keep them?

• CG19a
    CG19a Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    For me I'd miss the home emergency cover and I also dislike the fact that the excess on the mobile phone insurance will be £100 for iphones, as both mine and my OH's phones are iphones. I'll be cancelling my account and looking for somewhere with a cheaper excess.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wife mentioned this last night but I've yet to see the details. Losing the home emergency cover is not good for us at the moment as we are having boiler problems. Will need to see the full list of whats being removed/changed but will probably just close the account.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    latecomer wrote: »
    My wife mentioned this last night but I've yet to see the details. Losing the home emergency cover is not good for us at the moment as we are having boiler problems. Will need to see the full list of whats being removed/changed but will probably just close the account.

You could just downgrade the account in branch to a select account so you do not have to pay fees.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • rusty_frog
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    You could just downgrade the account in branch to a select account so you do not have to pay fees.

Or change banks!

I dont want to take issue but I personally think it is a shame that we (the customers) are expected to keep within the terms and conditions of the Royalties Gold agreement, but the RBS can change them when they see fit.

This is purely a back door price increase.

I also feel that they are not too bothered about customers in England as they are being forced to sell this business.

If they can find a buyer!
    :(

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't even mind if they said we are putting the prices up a little to reflect the increased benefits but without removing other benefits. As thats not an option I'll be closing the account as we only have it for the benefits it provides - travel, phone, breakdown, extended warranty and most importantly the home emergency.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rusty_frog wrote: »
    Or change banks!

I dont want to take issue but I personally think it is a shame that we (the customers) are expected to keep within the terms and conditions of the Royalties Gold agreement, but the RBS can change them when they see fit.

This is purely a back door price increase.

I also feel that they are not too bothered about customers in England as they are being forced to sell this business.

If they can find a buyer!
    :(

Close it then that can be done in branch also providing you have a nil balance.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family