We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Unemployed to get free bus travel

Options
124»

Comments

• The_ICT_Engineer
    The_ICT_Engineer Posts: 617 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2012 at 1:20AM
    Options
    The bus operators involve will just set the cost of funding this PR Stunt against tax.Only Stagecoach is involved in this area the others have declined to get involved.

The biggest problem is the poor levels of service outside towns and cities.
    I live in the heart of the area of highest transport poverty in the country. In the last five years, bus routes and services have been cut back year after year. The last set of cuts were very heavy as the county council transferred funding to the misguided busway.

The three remaining Stagecoach routes are a joke, providing an infrequent service between towns and don't connect. As one service arrives, the other has just departed.

Transport Poverty Report
    http://www.sustrans.org.uk/assets/files/Press/Transport%20Poverty%20England%20FINAL%20web.pdf
  • alinwales
    Options
    I don't think anythig should be free.. for anybody. I do believe in subsidies and token payments though. Abuse of services comes from sense of entitlement, and if someone had to pay £1 (where everyone else was paying £5), then it'll make them think twice about whether to use it, but won't be a deterrent if they actually need to use it.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 December 2012 at 1:14PM
    Options
    My local bus fare in now £5.70 for a day just to get to the local town. This better not push my costs up further.

If I am travelling with just one other person, a taxi is cheaper than local Stagecoach single ticket fares!

Bus travel costs have increased rapidly over the past few years - I am one of the few paying in cash, most folk have a concessionary pass of one kind or another.

Most rural routes have been cut as it is, and I need to walk further to get to a bus stop with a regular service. Bus use remains on the decline outside of major cities, even though the availability of free travel for the elderly has been around for a good few years.

Perhaps Mrs Thatcher's bus deregulation will actually be acknowledged as a mistake. If local authorities still owned local transport, this sort of thing would be much cheaper for everyone.
  • Catapa
    Catapa Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    Hop on your bike...
  • Mids_Costcutter
    Options
    The bus operators involve will just set the cost of funding this PR Stunt against tax.Only Stagecoach is involved in this area the others have declined to get involved.

The biggest problem is the poor levels of service outside towns and cities.
    I live in the heart of the area of highest transport poverty in the country. In the last five years, bus routes and services have been cut back year after year. The last set of cuts were very heavy as the county council transferred funding to the misguided busway.

The three remaining Stagecoach routes are a joke, providing an infrequent service between towns and don't connect. As one service arrives, the other has just departed.

Transport Poverty Report
    http://www.sustrans.org.uk/assets/files/Press/Transport%20Poverty%20England%20FINAL%20web.pdf

I agree that the cost to the operators will probably be negligible, but at least they're doing something. Isn't that a good thing?
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    Kimberley wrote: »
    Well I hope this puts a stop to the number of confrontations on the buses. Bus Drivers hopefully won't have yobs refusing to pay their fare and threatening the driver if the driver refuses them onboard. I qualified as a Bus driver last week and confrontations were my biggest fear.
    So either you think all unemployed are yobs or no one in a job can be a yob? LOL
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    This is only as I read it available to people out of work 6-12 months! Nothing stated for those out of work over 12 months?

At my work programme they keep telling me I can get a discounted oyster card but myself and one other woman who I met there sign at the same office and we have been told we dont get it as we have been out of work over a year but everyone else who signs at other offices seems to have one. I think the JC make up rules or something.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • geriann
    geriann Posts: 158 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JobCentre Plus Travel Discount Card are only for people in London.
    but it says you have to have one of those cards to get this new free buspass.
    so does tha mean only London residents will get the free buspass?
    how is that nationwide!?
  • Gothic_Musical
    Options
    I would rather hear news about evening bus services finally being put back on but with news of this I don't see that happening. I really don't think this is a good idea because I can see even more bus services being axed by this time next year. People will take advantage of the free travel unfortunately :(.
  • Mids_Costcutter
    Options
    I would rather hear news about evening bus services finally being put back on but with news of this I don't see that happening. I really don't think this is a good idea because I can see even more bus services being axed by this time next year. People will take advantage of the free travel unfortunately :(.

Poor or non-existent bus services are a separate issue: a result of a lack of funding, scant regulation (outside of London), and privatisation.

Why is it unfortunate if jobseekers take advantage of free bus travel?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure