We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Unemployed to get free bus travel

Options

Comments

• Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    Options
    hmmm..........hope that doesn't mean the fares for those who pay will go up. I don't mind free bus passes for the elderly/disabled, but not sure about this. I think perhaps it should be half or something. I must have paid about £1000 plus for stagecoach over the last few years.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • CRISPIANNE3
    CRISPIANNE3 Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank God we have moved on since the 80's and most people can now spell bike.[/QU

Keep taking the chill pill worried Jim. :rotfl:
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    Well I hope this puts a stop to the number of confrontations on the buses. Bus Drivers hopefully won't have yobs refusing to pay their fare and threatening the driver if the driver refuses them onboard. I qualified as a Bus driver last week and confrontations were my biggest fear.
  • Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    Options
    I guess it depends on the area?
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Free/reduced travel is good for anxiety/depressive illlness & the economy.

In Sydney the state government still owns the transport system, those on Centrelink (DWP) for $2 a day get you unlimited travel on buses, trains & ferries.

Perhaps had Thatcher got someone to run a national system with transport EXPERIENCE than a MP or mate & not sold them off from councils, EVERYONE could afford travel - DWP & those train commuting, but no sell them off then pay them private companies and people wonder why we are trillions in debt as a nation and travel ios not affordable, The United States of Kingdom....we followed their lead !

Governments local & national are the worst uneducated accountants, how do they run a household budget ? Easily...on great overpaid wages.
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • Mids_Costcutter
    Options
    Free bus passes will be abused by those who will see it as another hand out, and tax payers will pay yet again :-(

It's actually the participating bus companies who will fund this scheme:

http://www.stagecoach.com/media/news-releases/2012/2012-12-10.aspx

Of course some jobseekers won't be able to benefit as their bus services will be provided by an operator that's not taking part.

This is definitely a good idea though, as well as actually attending interviews we shouldn't forget that there are many other services you still need when looking for work and often can't access without affordable transport e.g. visiting libraries, job fairs, education, training etc.
  • Viberduo
    Viberduo Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting, I knew years ago there was a New Deal half price travel card but at the time it was England and Wales only.

I currently have a Scotland pass due to disablity but plan to move to the border soon so if I get a job the other side of border it would be useful.

Is it bus only half price?
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you in receipt of DLA HRM? If so, you are entitled to apply for a free bus pass in England (I don't know about Scotland).
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Mids_Costcutter
    Options
    Viberduo wrote: »
    Interesting, I knew years ago there was a New Deal half price travel card but at the time it was England and Wales only.

I currently have a Scotland pass due to disablity but plan to move to the border soon so if I get a job the other side of border it would be useful.

Is it bus only half price?

Yes, buses only. See article which is linked at beginning of thread.
  • SoloSailor
    Options
    What next? Free Gym membership to keep the unemployed fit, maybe free holidays to make sure they turn up to interviews nicely tanned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure