MSE News: Unemployed to get free bus travel

Options
"More than 800,000 unemployed people are to get free bus travel in January to help them find jobs..."
Read the full story:

Unemployed to get free bus travel

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• adamc260
    adamc260 Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    Options
    "Good bus services play a huge role in boosting economic growth"

It's such a shame the service we have is slow, late, uncomfortable and full of chavs?
  • TwistedPsycho
    Options
    The bus operators already struggle with the minimal rates they get now for bus pass users; if the unemployed start getting free nationwide travel then lots more services will need to be cut to make ends meet!

Down our way the bus operator only gets £0.47 for each "senior citizen" concessionary pass, regardless of distance travelled!
    Signaller, author, father, carer.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 December 2012 at 11:12AM
    Options
    More moonshine - see thread from last year.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3820273

There's always some way you wont get it.
    I've had travel to interview expenses refunded, but now I'm with a 'provider' the rules have changed and it is effectively discretionary.
    At the moment the 'provider' cannot refund bus fares because a) they have just received the cheque book and still need the cheque guarantee card to draw petty cash from their own bank.

I would prefer a link to a page on the gov.uk website, if one's available.
    If not, then as said above, it may as well be moonshine.
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    tgroom57 wrote: »
    More moonshine - see thread from last year.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3820273

That was about the card itself and the discounts given. This is now more about free bus travel.

Surely anything that can help people is a good thing isnt it or do you just pour scorn on anything the govt try and do?
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds a bit gimmicky to me - sticking plaster meet wound. I realise they probably couldn't afford to give out a complete windfall but it sounds like they are effectively saying 'on yer bike' without putting the long-term effort needed into getting the unemployment rate down properly.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    Crowqueen wrote: »
    Sounds a bit gimmicky to me - sticking plaster meet wound. I realise they probably couldn't afford to give out a complete windfall but it sounds like they are effectively saying 'on yer bike' without putting the long-term effort needed into getting the unemployment rate down properly.

Or they are giving unemployed people the chance to look for work outside the area they live in - which many have said they couldnt do as they cant afford to travel there. Now they can do just that. FOR FREE.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    The bus operators already struggle with the minimal rates they get now for bus pass users; if the unemployed start getting free nationwide travel then lots more services will need to be cut to make ends meet!

Down our way the bus operator only gets £0.47 for each "senior citizen" concessionary pass, regardless of distance travelled!

On the Isle of Wight, the bus operator gets 37% of the adult fare. The minimum fare (even if you go one stop) is £2.50.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • CRISPIANNE3
    Options
    In the 80's it was get on your byke to find a job. Now its get on the bus.

Thats progress for you!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In the 80's it was get on your byke to find a job. Now its get on the bus.

Thats progress for you!

Thank God we have moved on since the 80's and most people can now spell bike.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Will they use it for job hunting, like hell they will, the pass will be used to go to shops further away, visit auntie Flo and take in away matches for their favourite football team.

Another benefit for a group of people that already make a living off benefits.

I am not working now and get no benefits because of the size of my savings pot and the fact that I am stupid enough to be honest, I would gladly use a bus pass to help go further afield to do my job hunting but as I am not unemployed for 3 months, I have to pay my own way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure