We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Unemployed to get free bus travel

Options

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    There was a woman declaiming what a wonderful idea it was on the radio this morning and commented he bus fare between Hastings and Brighton was £17 and now it would be "free" ......the big flaw (apart from the inevitable abuse) is it is only for a month -some employers take longer than that to arrange interviewers...and...what the heck kind of jobs are they expecting people to find that they can afford £17 x 5 days a week so £85 just on bus fare !!

What is wrong with the jobcentres simply issuing a day pass for the bus once someone has a confirmed interview ? It'd make a lot more sense.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • passatrider
    Options
    I fully support any measures to help people who struggle with finances to get work. ]
    However, who's going to end up paying for this in the long run? People in work who already pay very high fares to use buses that's who. Companies like First and Arriva run for profit and nothing else, so they will not want to see their profits affected.

If it was funded by the Government then it would still be the tax payer who pays for this anyhow.

There's no such thing as a free lunch!
  • countingthepennies
    Options
    Passatrider you took the words out of my mouth. I have been unemployed , Ive been a student, Ive worked two jobs and done a degree at the same time, Im a single parent, so I can see this argument from all sides. But for goodness sake why do I bother going to work? I pay a fortune for bus fares to get to work, as do a lot of people. Free bus passes will be abused by those who will see it as another hand out, and tax payers will pay yet again :-(
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like a fair idea. Most of the costs are fixed once the timetable is set up anyway, so a few more people using the system shouldn't mean it really 'costs' much to implement.

Good on having the time limit as well - should stop people adding it to the list of things they will lose out on if they start working (free prescriptions etc.) to convince themselves not to bother working at all.
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Options
    I remember back in my jobseekers allowance days (3-4 years ago) being offered expenses for interviews. Does this still happen?
    If so these bus passes are just another handout to be abused.

Dave
  • amjustagirl
    Options
    Seriously another freebie?! and this is going to encourage some layabouts to get a job.. yeah right, more like just another excuse to not work ps not saying this about all unemployed people by the way, i know some people want to work :)
    Win's of 2014 so far-Maxfactor mascara, £50 Pizza Express Voucher, Dr Oetker Pizza, Nuby sippy cup :j:beer:
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    According to this, jobcentre travel discount cards have been available for some time. I wonder how many people know about them, or have been able to obtain one?

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/job_centre_plus_travel_discount
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • out_of_cash
    out_of_cash Posts: 763 Forumite
    edited 10 December 2012 at 5:17PM
    Options
    This will be some help, but is it available if your on the slave programme?

The media said it will be free travel? not just the half priced fares which have apparently been available for months and are it would seem a closely guarded secret.
  • out_of_cash
    Options
    Seriously another freebie?! and this is going to encourage some layabouts to get a job.. yeah right, more like just another excuse to not work ps not saying this about all unemployed people by the way, i know some people want to work :)

see ya down the boozer, :beer:
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The media said it will be free travel? not just the half priced fares which have apparently been available for months and are it would seem a closely guarded secret.

Apparently you need one of these travel cards to get the free travel. I wonder how many people actually have these magic bits of plastic?
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure