'Shame on Nationwide – no, I won't give you my security details' blog discussion

Comments

• I think reverse passwords or something similar is an excellent idea. I have had similar problems with Nationwide - ringing me after I had complained by secure message. I made them give me an idea of what I had contacted them about which was okay. I once had a letter from them asking me to contact them urgently - turned out they wanted to sell me a product. I was FURIOUS because I was (1) worried there was a serious problem (2) I thought I was opted out of marketing info. Turns out that you have to be specially opted out if you sign up to their Savings Watch. So. Yes, this is a universal problem - I had the same with a mobile phone company ringing me wanting security info. And I had to supply credit card details to get a refund of postage when returning wrong part to Carparts4less (their error)- because they hadn't charged any delivery, it was apparently the only way they could give me money back. So I had to let them write it down instead of it being a secure web transaction - not happy. Back to Nationwide - remember the lost laptop - although they said they would cover any losses due to problems from that loss, they wouldn't say if my details were on it - so how could I ever prove it? It's definitely all one way at the moment.... thanks for blogging this Martin.
  • A couple of years ago I had a call at work from someone who wouldn't tell me anything about who they were and what they wanted until I'd answered some security questions. I was so taken by surprise that I tried to answer them (unsuccessfully - but then I do have different security details for each financial institution, so they probably should have given me a clue first) and was told I'd failed security and they couldn't speak to me. I was livid! I traced their number through caller ID on the switchboard, googled it to find out that it was almost certainly Nationwide, and called them back on the general number from their website. After a long period of confusion they were able to connect me with the person who'd called me, and after I'd thanked them politely :mad: for their original call, I expressed my surprise that they actually expected people to just dish out important security information over the phone to an unsolicited caller. They were apparently surprised that I was surprised - they really couldn't see what the problem was. :(
    I stopped using my account after that - especially as the reason they were phoning me in the first place was that they'd managed to transfer the payment for my credit card bill to someone else's account instead of mine and I was therefore allegedly in default on my card - grrrr.
  • Sulevia
    Sulevia Posts: 57 Forumite
    Some months ago I got called by Scottish Widows with a query about my address which I had recently changed. They asked me several security questions before they would reveal why they were calling but they got me on my mobile at work and I wasn't quick thinking enough to remonstrate. I'm ready for the next time though!
  • rinabean
    rinabean Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Banks should ask if they're speaking to the right person and leave it at that. (It's all my doctors do, it's all companies I have accounts with do.)

It's much better for someone who isn't Ms. _____ but has access to her house or mobile phone to get the information they're giving than for someone who isn't the bank to get Ms. _____'s security details. Surely that's obvious.

I have no idea who is calling me if I don't recognise the number, it really could be anyone in the world, but if you ring me it's safe to assume I'll answer.
  • I've had exactly this with Nationwide, after being with them for decades, and having a significant amount with them, they rang me last night, and tried to make me give my security details to them. When they asked for my DOB, I told them I'd add the first two numbers of my DOB together, and that would be a way for them to know I was the right person, because I'm not prepared to give the actual details of these individual numbers out to a caller I don't know, when they are so often used as a security question for online transactions. I thought this was reasonable -the lady from Nationwide said I'd 'failed the security check' and couldn't proceed because she couldn't be sure she was speaking to the right person. However, when you think about it, if you ring up a house and someone there impersonates the person you're after, who is it most likely to be? I'm guessing a family member or someone who knows you pretty well, and may well know your date of birth anyway. I'd be able to pretend to be my mum, because I know when she was born. It's a rubbish question, even if I accept the pretext behind it, as much as 'what is the first line of your address'. Errrrm, you've called me on a landline, I'm standing in the middle of the house right now - I'm likely to know the address, even if I am a fraudster.....
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • jamesd wrote: »
    If I have reason to expect the call I will sometimes ask the caller to add up the day and month of my date of birth to demonstrate that they know those two numbers, without them actually compromising that information. Similar alternative ways can sometimes be used to confirm knowledge of other data without actually disclosing the data.

Excellent suggestion - thank you!
  • The exact very same thing happened to me last year, I was told it was to do with my account but not why. I would not give any info so the call ended. I went into my local Nationwide to tell them about a possible phishing call. I was told that it was their call. I demanded to speak to the manager who led me to believe it was a one off by a poorly trained staff member and that it would not happen again. (lies?)
  • You can add M&S Bank to the list, Martin. They did exactly the same thing yesterday, being very insistent and seemingly unable to see the problem.
  • I once had a call from someone who refused to identify his firm, but asked for Mr. B at our number. When I asked for the first name he refused to give , citing 'data protection'. There are 3 MrBs at our number, so I told him I needed thd first ame to put the right one on. He still refused & asked me if I would take a message. One message later, and one number later. I asked him who I was to give this message to. Answer 'Mr B', followed by my question ' which one?!' a total waste of time all round. I never heard anything again, & I still don't know who they wanted.
    I never give personal details over the phone. Another gripe of mine is when companies call to speak to my husband, & refuse to speak to me, even though the matter deals with something that comes from our joint account. They can be very snooty. It smacks of the days when women weren't considered capable of dealing with bills etc. I get very annoyed!
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    LardyCake wrote: »
    Martin, I'm surprised you've only just become aware of this issue but hopefully you can make the banks, credit card companies and the public see why this is such bad practice. Good luck.
    My thought too!

I have had this type of call several times from Santander.
    Like most who have posted here I refuse to give my information to someone who has randomly rung me 'out of the blue' no matter where/who they claim to be ringing from!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business