Bullying/mob mentality/cliques

Options

Comments

• codger
    codger Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stephen77 wrote: »
    but people do log on to the site most days. Its not like goater commented on a thread that was a few months old. The post would have been near the top of the forum when Goater responded.

So if there's a suicide in the news that day, or a train crash, or an earthquake, or a rampaging mass murderer. . . no-one can say anything in any post at that time which happens to incorporate any of those words?

Rubbish. Once posters start double-thinking what another poster actually wrote, and attributing to them stuff that was never expressed, explicitly or implicitly, then every Internet forum everywhere might as well shut down.

The OP said that the consequences of online bullying have been known to lead to suicide. Although I can't understand why anyone would be so vulnerable / so sensitive / so het up about one posting ID being rude to another posting ID, fact is, the OP spoke the truth.

And that's all he was doing. Seems to me it's not so much bullying or abuse that's the problem with Internet chat boards as bonkers psychics who "know" what someone else means. . . whether or not that someone ever said it.
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    codger wrote: »
    So if there's a suicide in the news that day, or a train crash, or an earthquake, or a rampaging mass murderer. . . no-one can say anything in any post at that time which happens to incorporate any of those words?

Rubbish. Once posters start double-thinking what another poster actually wrote, and attributing to them stuff that was never expressed, explicitly or implicitly, then every Internet forum everywhere might as well shut down.

The OP said that the consequences of online bullying have been known to lead to suicide. Although I can't understand why anyone would be so vulnerable / so sensitive / so het up about one posting ID being rude to another posting ID, fact is, the OP spoke the truth.

And that's all he was doing. Seems to me it's not so much bullying or abuse that's the problem with Internet chat boards as bonkers psychics who "know" what someone else means. . . whether or not that someone ever said it.

i am not stating what danny intentions was with post. He did not give to much clarity on the subject until later posts.
    So what else did everyone think he was posting about if they had not read later posts?
    The original post and title was not please do not insult anyone as they may commit suicide.

People are often going to assume things if not to much clarity is given.
    where did the op say "The OP said that the consequences of online bullying have been known to lead to suicide"?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tragic consequences for avatars and online IDs: nah. Hilarious consequences, definitely: goater78's display of pomposity combined with stupidity has been most entertaining. . . with the four MSErs who thanked goater78's post proving that even an entire bunch of electrons aren't necessarily good at reading or even thinking straight.

And you're still seriously worried about bullying??? :)

It's 5 now mate :)
  • Zedicus
    Zedicus Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tragic consequences for avatars and online IDs: nah. Hilarious consequences, definitely: goater78's display of pomposity combined with stupidity has been most entertaining. . . with the four MSErs who thanked goater78's post proving that even an entire bunch of electrons aren't necessarily good at reading or even thinking straight.

And you're still seriously worried about bullying??? :)

Goater's gonna goater. It's rather sad the way he obsesses about the number of times people thank him. Not much going on in his life I suppose so he puffs his little chest up here to make himself feel important.
  • stephen77
    edited 8 December 2012 at 10:04PM
    Options
    for a thread thats about not bullying and forming cliques its seems to have formed a clique on goater bieng thanked, which seems a little ironic.

I may want to thank goater for more posts, but it will be seen as bad thing if i genuinely think his posts have been helpful by the clique against him.
  • System
    Options
    for a thread thats about not bullying and forming cliques its seems to have formed a clique on goater bieng thanked, which seems a little ironic.

Or abused. It's a 50/50 split at the moment ;)
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Dafuq have I just read??
  • System
    Options
    Zedicus wrote: »
    Goater's gonna goater. It's rather sad the way he obsesses about the number of times people thank him. Not much going on in his life I suppose so he puffs his little chest up here to make himself feel important.

I see you're still a bit obsessed with me. I'm quite touched that you've actually turned my username into a verb. Do you often say "you're gonna goater" to your friends?

It's very flattering
  • stephen77
    Options
    goater78 wrote: »
    Or abused. It's a 50/50 split at the moment ;)

well I hope you do you do not take it to heart and their witty comments do not push you over the edge.
    People should take this into account when scoring points against you. ;)
  • System
    Options
    well I hope you do you do not take it to heart and their witty comments do not push you over the edge.
    People should take this into account when scoring points against you. ;)

I've had a little cry but I feel better now :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure