🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Windows 8 for people who hate the Metro UI

Options

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Well, having got it free on my laptop - I upgraded to WIN7. I have not the time or the inclination to re-learn the user interface, and it was quicker to abandon it and go back to what worked (for me).

I gather I'm not alone.

If I had a touch screen, I might have thought differently - but I don't.
  • Lucero_2
    Lucero_2 Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only "Features" that people are using 3rd part apps for is predominately the old classic start menu. Don't get me wrong, I missed it too, but don't at all now. In fact, I wouldn't go back.

Yes, NAS boxes are good, but aren't always cheap. Having the ability to use pooled storage within a PC is not a bad thing at all. I agree on VMware, it is a far more mature product, but Hyper-V is getting there and actually has some better features (dynamic memory) but let's itself down in others (copy, paste between host and VM is a real annoyance for instance).

There is nothing bad about W8, really, and I hate to break it to you, but W9 isn't going to go back :(
  • Lucero_2
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    Well, having got it free on my laptop - I upgraded to WIN7. I have not the time or the inclination to re-learn the user interface, and it was quicker to abandon it and go back to what worked (for me).

I gather I'm not alone.

If I had a touch screen, I might have thought differently - but I don't.

You don't need a touch screen. There is very little reason to touch the screen on Windows 8. A scroll of the mouse wheel will move the screen left and right. Pretty simple really.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lucero wrote: »
    Well, for starters, there's Apps. I've getting quite fond of them. Storage Pools, fantastic addition, especially for people who like to stream to other devices. Hyper V, great for spinning up old games or apps, or trying out other software. In fact, I can't think of anything in W7 that's missing from W8.

It's very sad when people can't embrace change. I just picture 50+ somethings trying to use their laptop in frustration, i.e., my parents :)

I'm quite comfortable using Win 8, however the design of the UI is schizoid, most applications I use run from the desktop, the only app I regularly use is Sky news. I don't see why apps are not designed to run within windows on the desktop, or why running multiple apps is not possible.
    I guess its because apps are for tablets.
    Maybe when Bill has eliminated polio he crack a few heads back at base.
    Sorry just the rant of an OAP!
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,262 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The only "Features" that people are using 3rd part apps for is predominately the old classic start menu. Don't get me wrong, I missed it too, but don't at all now. In fact, I wouldn't go back.

Yes, NAS boxes are good, but aren't always cheap. Having the ability to use pooled storage within a PC is not a bad thing at all. I agree on VMware, it is a far more mature product, but Hyper-V is getting there and actually has some better features (dynamic memory) but let's itself down in others (copy, paste between host and VM is a real annoyance for instance).

There is nothing bad about W8, really, and I hate to break it to you, but W9 isn't going to go back :(
    A NAS box is cheaper than a PC; I've got one that works with PC (Windows, Linux, and whatever) and iPads.

VMware in the datacentre will allow you to migrate servers from one host to another online. VMware allows you to share the host memory across guests.

Regarding Windows 8/9/etc. In the end you run the OS to support the applications you need; with all of this virtualization going on, there may be no need to run an up to date Microsoft OS.

FYI, Windows Server 2012 (oh - it's so last year!) also has the Metro interface, and it seems to work better there; mainly because you can do everything from the app that automatically runs and you don't use the GUI so much, but also, rather bizarrely, the naff user interface reinforces the perception that you only go onto it to perform admin tasks.
  • Lucero_2
    Options
    prowla wrote: »
    A NAS box is cheaper than a PC; I've got one that works with PC (Windows, Linux, and whatever) and iPads.

VMware in the datacentre will allow you to migrate servers from one host to another online. VMware allows you to share the host memory across guests.

Regarding Windows 8/9/etc. In the end you run the OS to support the applications you need; with all of this virtualization going on, there may be no need to run an up to date Microsoft OS.

FYI, Windows Server 2012 (oh - it's so last year!) also has the Metro interface, and it seems to work better there; mainly because you can do everything from the app that automatically runs and you don't use the GUI so much, but also, rather bizarrely, the naff user interface reinforces the perception that you only go onto it to perform admin tasks.

Yes, but a NAS box is pointless without a PC (or tablet) :)

Hyper-V Server has all the same functionality as ESX(I) in the datacentre environment. It's at client / workstation level where VMware really pulls away.

Don't be fooled by the new Server Manager in WS2012. That's all it is, it's not an app, it's just a revised Server Manager (available in 2008 and 2008 R2 as well). All proper tasks are still done through the desktop and their relevant MMC snapins or GUIs (or PowerShell)
  • mart44
    mart44 Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 January 2013 at 11:57AM
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    ...or why running multiple apps is not possible.
    It is possible to run multiple apps but not in separate Windows. Several apps are running at once in the screenshot linked to below. You have to put your mouse in either corner to the left of the screen and then move the mouse along the edge for the running apps to show. Select any one. Not sure if you already know that.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u78/Mart44/marts-graphics/sidebar.jpg

Edit:
    Even more on this point here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2cA2UTi2Zk
    Error! - Keyboard not attached. Press any key to continue.
  • Lucero_2
    Options
    mart44 wrote: »
    It is possible to run multiple apps but not in separate Windows. Several apps are running at once in the screenshot linked to below. You have to put your mouse in either corner to the left of the screen and then move the mouse along the edge for the running apps to show. Select any one. Not sure if you already know that.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u78/Mart44/marts-graphics/sidebar.jpg

Edit: Even more on this point here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2cA2UTi2Zk

Technically it is possible to run them in separate windows as you can grid an app to the left or right of the screen. It would leave little in the way of desktop though :)
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,262 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, but a NAS box is pointless without a PC (or tablet) :)

Hyper-V Server has all the same functionality as ESX(I) in the datacentre environment. It's at client / workstation level where VMware really pulls away.

Don't be fooled by the new Server Manager in WS2012. That's all it is, it's not an app, it's just a revised Server Manager (available in 2008 and 2008 R2 as well). All proper tasks are still done through the desktop and their relevant MMC snapins or GUIs (or PowerShell)
    Yes - obviously there's no point in having storage with nothing to use it...:)

Is Hyper-V really as functional and scalable as ESX?

The point about Server was that the GUI is marginalised and largely irrelevant.
  • womble12345
    Options
    According to the latest rumours it seems that Windows 9 (codename Windows Blue) will not get the start menu back:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-9-Won-t-Bring-Back-the-Start-Button-to-Feature-an-Upgraded-Start-Screen-317072.shtml

I think it is something people will have to get used to if they want to stick with Windows. I plan on upgrading my Windows XP to Windows 8 tonight by installing it on a new SSD, I plan on giving the new Metro interface a fair chance before installing these 3rd party apps to get the start menu back. There are a fair number of people who like it so maybe I will join that group?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport