Sudden increase in broadband usage - any suggestions?

Options
We've got BT Broadband with a 10 GB limit and for the last 2 months I've received an email from BT telling me we're near the limit. Last month it wasn't a problem as it was the day before the billing date, and they let you know when you've reached 75% of your limit. However, this month we're only halfway through the month and I've had the email.
I'm rather mystified as our usage hasn't changed. We don't watch catchup TV, download videos or music and we don't play games. It is mainly websites and e-mail. There are 2 of us and we each have a laptop, and work from home 3-4 days a week. I also have an iPad, which I do use on the wifi at home, but then I'm not using my laptop at the same time.
Am I being unrealistic and need to upgrade my package, or should 10GB be sufficient for our sort of usage? I know it's impossible to gain an accurate impression of our usage from this, but any ideas would be most welcome.
Thanks!

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are working from home, shouldn't the company provide an access line for you to use?
  • irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suggest you monitor useage daily within the BT website - may give you an indication if the daily use is consistent or if there are surges in use on specific days - that will be a start
    John
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    is someone stealing your wifi? they may have hacked into it?

if working from home wouldn't wifi either be payable by your work or tax deductible, so worth getting unlimited.

I'm no expert on usage but 10 sounds enough for just surfing, if you can check online with BT your usage, you may see it being used when you are not using it so will know weather someone is nicking it.
  • headintheclouds
    Options
    Thanks folks,
    Will take up the suggestion of the daily monitoring as that seems like a good idea.
    Re. the working from home thing - I work for a charity and am officially based in the office. However, I'm allowed to work from home as a concession to me, so although I can claim for using the 'phone, internet etc., I don't claim the whole cost and I always try to get the best deal for the organisation as well as for myself.
    Re. hacking - I suppose it's possible, although the password is pretty random.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. It's appreciated.
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    they don't need your pass word to hack into your wifi.
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    BT ? Openzone/Fon it from your router speeds are limited to half a meg but you can save your 10GB allowance also bill work for Openzone access.
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Then change your password. Are you using WPA or higher level security? If it's still on WEP then you might as well leave it open-it can be hacked in seconds by the average 10 year old.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There have been numerous problems in the past with BT usage stats. Many,many complaints of people being charged for collosal overusage which they can't explain -just search on here and on BT Forums!!
  • headintheclouds
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Then change your password. Are you using WPA or higher level security? If it's still on WEP then you might as well leave it open-it can be hacked in seconds by the average 10 year old.

Yup - it's on WPA security.
    Fortunately most of the 10 year-olds I know are more interested in playing football than hacking into people's broadband ;-)
    I take your point, though.

When I have time/am feeling patient enough in the next few days, I'll 'phone BT and see if they have any stats on whether there was particularly high usage at any specific times in case there's a pattern.
  • bengalknights
    Options
    You could always change your ISP to a more bandwidth friendly service (charge cost to company?)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure