Speeding Fine

Options
Not sure if this is the right forum, but seemed the best at the time of posting.

Driving through the variable speed cameras on the M6, they were displaying 60, I was just keeping up with traffic and it was fairly busy. Looked down at the clock and was doing 78. :eek:

I know I have something coming but what? Will I be offered the driver awareness course (or whatever it is called) or will I just be hit with the points and fine straight away?

Been driving for about 7 years and have never picked up any points before.

How long do the fines take to come through?

Comments

• Bowling_4_Gold
    Options
    Was the 60 in a red circle or just with alternating flashing amber lights above and below? In any case you will hear within 14 days whether they are going to prosecute.
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not at that speed.

Pretty sure its for minor speeding. 5mph or so over the limit.

I love the way people speed between the camera's and brake sharply when they reach it.

Have you seen the camera's on each gantry?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Sgt_Pepper_2
    Options
    Not at that speed.

Pretty sure its for minor speeding. 5mph or so over the limit.

I love the way people speed between the camera's and brake sharply when they reach it.

Have you seen the camera's on each gantry?

He has every chance of being offered a course

Only the gantrys with speed signs have cameras.
  • Buellguy
    Buellguy Posts: 629 Forumite
    Options
    Try here, they will be able to advise you

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=5

but I'd say that if you get the NIP within the next 14 days, you are prob looking at 3pts and 60 squid
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Options
    Was the 60 in a red circle or just with alternating flashing amber lights above and below? In any case you will hear within 14 days whether they are going to prosecute.

Only the registered keeper must be informed within 14 days.
  • alright_dave
    Options

My initial thinking is flashing amber but wouldn't be able to say 100% one way or the other.

Just hope i'm lucky and get offered the course.
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Options
    My initial thinking is flashing amber but wouldn't be able to say 100% one way or the other.

Just hope i'm lucky and get offered the course.

Where abouts on the M6?
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    It must have a red roundel to be an enforcable limit. Flashing amber is advisory only.
    Speed awareness courses are generally now offered up to 10% +9 over the limit, so for 60mph that would be 75mph. If your speedo was reading 78, that's probably 73 or 74mph, so I'm guessing you'll be in line for the SAC if you get the letter.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have the same question as a few other people here.

Which stretch of the M6? (junction numbers, or at least an indication of which county you were in)

Did the speed limit signs have a red circle around them?

If this is the HADECS section through Warwickshire then these are indeed being enforced but most likely you will be offered a speed awareness course as these are offered for up to 75 in a 60.

If you want to alleviate the worry, you should check your speedo against a satnav. Choose a road that is straight and flat and free of cameras, compare what the satnav reads to what your speedo reads and use this to determine what speed you were actually doing.
  • alright_dave
    Options
    I came on at J5 (Castle vale/Birmingham) and was heading east towards Coventry. Was between J5 & M42 exit when I think I was speeding.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure