No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in December

Options

Comments

• indiepanda
    Options
    Becky_2 wrote: »
    Indiepanda, I totally agree with Roguelawyer that's what friends are for. A true friend wouldn't expect you to be happy in your situation. I find talking about things makes things easier and it makes me feel better beacaue I am not bottling it all up. Even if the other person cannot actually do anything apart from being there it helps me to talk about it. Hope it all goes well when you see your GP tomorrow.

Thanks. I have to admit I am a bit inclined to bottle it up, unconsciously for the most part. Find it easier to suppress bad feelings than let them out, but suspect sometimes a good cleansing cry on a friend's shoulder is just what I need.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Grrrrrr, I think I need to take my own advice, I just lost a whole post:eek:

I read many years ago, that if we are angry, upset, frustrated etc, rather than bottle it up which can lower our immune system, mood, make our relationships with others difficult etc, that we should (preferably whilst on our own) take a pillow or cushion and thump or kick (or both) the hell out of it, verbalising/vocalising as feels right at the time. I have felt pretty drained sometimes after this, but somehow more peaceful, and if it can be followed by a nice bath or shower things do seem a little easier.

Lots of hugs winging their way through the ether.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • kiplingmonkey
    Options
    Indiepanda - huge hugs - hope everything goes ok for you tomorrow with the dr. Agree with everyone else - that is what your friends are for so don't feel you have to be strong all the time.

Have managed another UU so Dec is shaping up to be a good month although may be offset by Christmas goodies (I hope)

Liz Earle skin repair - have been using this at night as my neck cream. I regularly use skin repair as a neck cream and find it does a brilliant job. WBA when current LE mountain gets used up (as long as they don't mess with the formula).
  • emslovesmickey
    Options
    I'm on a roll!!! 2 more UU - a face mask and a shower gel, and one GA - an origin skincare set
  • rogueylawyer
    Options
    indiepanda wrote: »
    Thanks. I have to admit I am a bit inclined to bottle it up, unconsciously for the most part. Find it easier to suppress bad feelings than let them out, but suspect sometimes a good cleansing cry on a friend's shoulder is just what I need.

Or sometimes just telling them it's not going to great can make all the difference. A friend is very reluctant to ever share her problems which means everything is 'fine' when actually it means '!!!!!! but I don't want to tell you'. It's alienated me from her, because I both feel I can't share with her and that she doesn't think enough of me to let me in on the bad times. You keep up appearances to colleagues, acquaintances, but not good friends.

Still what do I know, I'm hitting the super-duper-crazy mark at the moment. Roll on house move, xmas break and a chance to relax and enjoy all the hard work!

Back on topic, I have two UUs today:

Champneys spa indulgence Mediterranean bliss body hydrator
    Armani Code EDP

The body hydrator was my second mini bottle used up. The fragrance has grown on me and it's a nice, light, easily absorbed and non-greasy lotion which worked well before clothes (can anyone else not stand that sticky, clothes don't fit feeling you get from a thick body cream? I have to save the thicker stuff for before bed and give it all night to soak in).
    Armani Code - I think this was only 30ml but I love the scent, would definitely buy again once I've worked through the stash - 4.5 years of perfume still to go...
  • indiepanda
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Grrrrrr, I think I need to take my own advice, I just lost a whole post:eek:

I read many years ago, that if we are angry, upset, frustrated etc, rather than bottle it up which can lower our immune system, mood, make our relationships with others difficult etc, that we should (preferably whilst on our own) take a pillow or cushion and thump or kick (or both) the hell out of it, verbalising/vocalising as feels right at the time. I have felt pretty drained sometimes after this, but somehow more peaceful, and if it can be followed by a nice bath or shower things do seem a little easier.

Lots of hugs winging their way through the ether.

Thanks.

I get what you mean about hitting something. I see a trainer in the park twice a week and it has to be said I find it very therapeutic using the boxing gloves she brings - I don't get as far as shouting out what I am feeling inside, but there are some people whose faces I've definitely been imagining on those pads when I punch them and the words I'm thinking wouldn't bear repeating in polite company.
  • indiepanda
    Options
    Or sometimes just telling them it's not going to great can make all the difference. A friend is very reluctant to ever share her problems which means everything is 'fine' when actually it means '!!!!!! but I don't want to tell you'. It's alienated me from her, because I both feel I can't share with her and that she doesn't think enough of me to let me in on the bad times. You keep up appearances to colleagues, acquaintances, but not good friends.

Yes, I see what you mean. I don't always want to talk about the details because it's not the kind of problem that can be solved by talking it over - needs a judge to make a different decision next time. But even admitting I need a bit of cheering up on the days I miss him more is a start.

Anyway, had a nice time with the friend that came over and we booked tickets for a show next year so that's something nice for both of us to look forward to (she's also having a hard time for different reasons). Will make sure I get a good night's sleep tonight by smothering myself in the Weleda Lavender oil in my stash.

Have to say the kind comments on here have helped cheer me up too. In a world where most of what makes the news is bad news, it's nice to be reminded that there are a lot of lovely people out there.
  • Fiasco55
    Fiasco55 Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Since I haven't posted my stash list for a few months...here it is. Red products are in use.

Haircare Shampoo
    Louise Galvin Volumising Shampoo 300ml HG
    Tigi Bed Head Manipulator 350ml Shampoo x2 (1/2 full)
    Phil Smith Big It Up Shampoo 250ml
    Ultra Swim Shampoo 50mls
    Tigi Superstar Shampoo 750mls
    John Fredia Sheer Blonde Shampoo 50ml
    John Fredia Thicken Shampoo 50ml
    John Fredia Damaged Shampoo
    Kenneth Turner Nature Nurtureshampoo 50mls

Conditioner
    Tigi Bed Head Dumb Blonde 750ml (3/4 used) &250mls
    Tigi Bed Head Manipulator Conditioner 200ml x 2 (1/2full)
    Nicky Clarke Highlights Cream x 29 Tubes
    Fudge Colour Lock Conditioner 300mls
    Andrew Collinge Weightless Volume Conditioner 250mls
    Louise Galvin Volumising Conditioner 300mls
    Tigi Superstar Conditioner 750mls
    John Fredia Thicken Conditioner 50mls
    John Fredia Damage Conditioner
    Dove Hair Therapy 50mls

Styling/Treatments
    Tigi Bedhead Hard to Get Texture Paste x 4 HG
    Lee Stafford Matt Fat Powder 10g
    Gum Hairspray 300mls x 11 HG
    VO5 Hairspray 50ml (stashed in work)
    Andrew Collienge Full Blown Body x 2
    Toni & Guy Hairspray 50mls x 2
    Tressemme Root Boost Spray
    Tigi Rockstar Groupie Texture Spray
    Tigi Rockstar Rocktastic Gel Spray
    Tigi Rockstar Moulding Clay
    Wella High Hair Styling Paste
    Wella High Hair Beach Look Spray
    VO5 Texture Paste

Bodycare BodyWashes, Shower Gel, Shave Gels, Scrubs, Bath
    No7 Body Polish 50ml
    Salvatore Ferragamo Shower Gel 400mls
    Johnsons Shower and Shave
    Davidoff Cool Water woman shower gel 50mls
    L’Occitane Vanilla Shower gel 500mls x 2
    Virgin Vie Bath Foam
    Virgin Vie Body Scrub

Body lotion, bodybutter, Body Moisturisers, Foot Lotion
    Elle Macpherson Foot Butter 150mls
    Dirty Works Moisturising Body Oil
    Armani Diamonds Body Lotion 75mls
    Jason Coco Hand & Body Lotion 300mls x 2
    Prada Body Lotion 50mls
    Davidoff Cool Water woman body lotion 50mls
    Virgin Vie Body Lotion
    Elle Macpherson Pulse Point 8ml x 2 (1 stashed in work)

Fake Tan,Bronzers, shimmers
    St Moriz Bronzing Mist
    Clinique Self Tan for the face 50mls
    Sally Hanson Airbrush Legs 75mls
    Pretty Polly Bronzed leg gloss
    Pretty Polly Leg Shimmer 150ml
    The Sanctuary self tan corrector wipe x 3
    M & S self tan corrector wipes x 2

Hand & Nail
    Healthy Hoof cream 28g (1/2 full)
    Elle Macpherson Replenishing Hand Cream 50mls (stashed in work)
    L’Occitane Nail & Cuticle Cream 15ml
    M & S Nail Varnish Remover
    No7 P & P Hand Cream 25mls
    S & G Hand wash
    Cath Kidson Hand cream and wash set 300mls
    Orly Smudge Fixer 22ml (1/2 used)
    Nails Inc Paris/South Molten Stx2/Wimbledon final/Covent Garden / Floral St/Tate/Serpentine Party/Leicester sq/Albert Bridgex2/Notting hill/StJames/Victoria/Jermyn St/Hanover Sq / Bluebell/Tudor Way/Charlotte St / Manchester/ Electric Teal / Motcomb St
    17 Hot stuff/Nightshade/Silver
    Rimmel purple rain/top coat/fuel/Serene
    Jessica /top coat (spluttering)/base coat
    No 7 Beanie
    M & S Wild Plum/Shocking Pink/Magenta/Leaf/Coral/CityGrey
    FCUK Red
    Next Nail Varnish set

Fragrance
    Lulu Guinness 100ml (3/4 full)
    Narciso Rodriguez for her 100mls (¾ full)
    Kenneth Cole Black 50ml
    Armani Code 50ml (1/2 full)
    Agent Provocateur 30mls
    D & G Light Blue 50ml (stashed in work)
    Mont Blanc Presence 30ml
    Aromatics Elixir 45mls
    The One D & G Purse Spray
    Salvatore Ferragamo 100mls
    Prada 5 x 10mls Purse Spray set
    Banana Republic Classic 100mls
    Jasper Conran Mistress50mls
    Jasper Conran Woman 30mls & 7mls
    Rochas Alchemy 30mls
    Davidoff Cool Water Woman 30mls
    CK Truth Bamboo 5mls
    Fascinating By Ferragamo 50mls
    Fascinating Night 50mls
    Gucci Guilty 75mls
    Armani Diamonds 30mls

Face Skin Care Moisturisers/Serums
    No 7 Balanced Results Night Cream 50mls x 3
    No 7 P & P Beauty Serum 30mls
    No 7 Balanced Results Day Cream 50mls x 2
    Clarins Flash Beauty Balm
    Elemis PRMC
    Olay Regenerist Freebie
    Clinique Night Cream Freebie
    Clinique City Block 40mls
    Ren Moisturiser
    Balance Me Moisturiser

Eye Cream
    Olay Aqua physics eye cream 15ml
    Olay Eye Cream with Touch of Concealer x 2
    Balance Me Eye Cream

Facial Scrubs /Face Mask
    Elemis Herbal Lavender Repair Mask
    Clinique 7 day scrub cream 50ml
    Bliss Sleeping Peel Mask
    Ultimaii eye Mask (1/2 full)
    St Ives Face Scrub 30mls
    Ren Face Scrub
    Molton Brown Snowclay Mask 75ml

Cleanser /Toner/Make Up Remover/Facial Wipes/Spot Treatments
    Garnier Eye Make Up remover HG
    Elemis Balancing Lime Blossom Cleanser 400mls
    Elemis Balancing Lavender Toner 400mls
    Clinique Take the day off 125mls HG
    L’Oreal Eye Make Up Remover x 2
    No 7 Radiance Boasting Hot cloth Cleanser
    Clarins Blemish Control 15ml
    Balance me Face Wash
    Clinique Liquid Soap 200mls
    Clinique Clarifying Lotion 400mls

Make Up Primers,Correctors, Foundations, Concealers, Highlighters & Powders
    Too Faced Eye Shadow Insurance Primer HG
    Clinique Almost Make Up Powder Neutral Fair
    Clinique Almost Make Up Parfait Neutral Fair
    Benefit Porefessional
    YLS Touch! Éclat Concealer
    Smashbox Primer Freebie
    Clinique Superfit Neutral Foundation x 2 (1 is ½ full)
    Clinique Gentle Light Powder
    Nivea Primer Freebie

Blushers& Bronzers
    Maybelline Dream Blush Apricot
    Benefit Cha Cha Tint
    Clarins Bronzer Duo
    Clinique Bronzer
    Mac Bronzer

Lipstick/LipGloss/Lip Balms
    Chanel Lotus Rouge,
    Chanel Bubble Plum Gloss
    Clinique rose Aglow x 3/ Clinique Shy /Black Honey / LipQuad
    Stilla Anna Lipstick
    Soap & Glory Red My Lips
    No 7 High Shine Lip Gloss Smile
    M & S Lip Perfection Flamingo
    Models Own Lipstick
    Natural Collection Caramel
    Clarins # 4
    Chap Stick x 2
    Vaseline Lip Therapy Pocket Size

Eyeshadows
    Clinique Sweet Nothing /Blackberry frost / Mystic/whisper
    Pout Pallet
    NYX Caribbean Collection
    NYX Smokey Eye pallet
    M & S City Colours
    M & S Ocean Pallet
    No 7 Stay Perfect Eyeshadow Truffle

Mascaras, Brow &Eyeliners/Gels
    Clinique cream shaper Egyptian x 3, duo sable/mink
    Clinique Quickliner Really Black
    L’Oreal brow pencil (1/2 used)
    No7 brow pencil x 2
    No7 Eye liner brown
    Benefit Bad Girl Mascara
    M & S Day and Night Mascara
    Model Co Brow & Lash Growth Serum
    Tweezerman Brow gel

No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • rosemary54
    rosemary54 Posts: 2,495 Forumite
    Options
    wow this is getting more like an advice column than a toiletries thread!I am not complaining as don't know how I would get through sometimes without you lovely ladies to confide in.I do wonder if buying so many un needed items is compensation for upset at home?

proud to say I deleted the glossybox offers today for things I really don't need and the Benefit stuff mentioned on martins email is stuff I can do without.

mentioned to OH that the weekend away was my birthday treat...."oh is it "he said "then i don't need to buy you a present":mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    fingers crossed we get through it without a row:rotfl:
    having a shellac manicure today and am opting for red sparkles:):):):)supposed to last two weeks,anyone else had one?Will paint toes to match tonight
  • indiepanda
    Options
    rosemary54 wrote: »
    wow this is getting more like an advice column than a toiletries thread!I am not complaining as don't know how I would get through sometimes without you lovely ladies to confide in.I do wonder if buying so many un needed items is compensation for upset at home?

Definitely a big factor in mine. I know I am far more likely to give in to temptation in the form of a special offer or even head to Boots or L'Occitane (my current main source of temptation) even though I know I don't need anything when I am feeling low. My purchasing has definitely increased since my OH was sent home and has always jumped when I am feeling stressed. It's an easy pick up - until the guilt sets in a few hours later. Still, not as unhealthy as drinking to excess or taking drugs etc... it's a waste of money but I'm not ruining my health doing it. (The increase in cake/chocolate brownies eaten might but that's another thread!)

I know it's not the whole story with me. I love fragrance and the effect different aromatherapy oils can have on my mood, so I'll never be one to have just one unfragranced shower gel and body lotion in the house. I like a bit of variety - never been a "signature scent" kind of girl. But the quantity I do have is way beyond necessary to satisfy that need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure