Haircuts

Options

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My haircut is £17, my daughters is £10, they are cut and blow dry.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    (I still ask her if she's booked her holidays yet though and insist she calls me Tracey - but that's a different story).
    Nobody has yet commented on our hair, and knowing our 'friends' they would if they could.

I do this when I wash 5yo DDs hair :rotfl:

We cut at home here too. I do spend money on my mani/pedis etc but I have long hair and don't like the look of layers/fringes on me so booking a haircut, paying £50 and wasting an hour for an inch off the bottom seems excessive.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 October 2013 at 9:11AM
    Options
    I usually have foil colours and a cut and blow dry at the same time.., but it costs a fortune so I'm lucky if I can get it done once a year. In August I went to my local colleges training salon (end of a Level 2 or 3 course which enabled the students to go into a salon as a junior stylist). The foil colours were fine but oh dear for the haircut. Even though she was at the end of the course, the person doing my hair really didn't have a clue. She could only do one type of basic cut and was asking the tutor over every few minutes because she wasn't sure what she was doing.

I stopped being amazed at this when I was told the course was 'full time' but this meant they attended college 2 days a week (although I think this might be because then they could claim benefits) ! The tutor did say that the students were recommended to work voluntarily in a salon as well. But I have to say, I wasn't impressed with the end result of the training. If I went on a course like this, I'd expect it to be full time and I'd come out of it capable of doing a job - otherwise one has to ask what is the point?

I have a 17 year old who had his first trip to the barbers at about this time. Before this I'd always done his hair and it looked ok, but obviously I'm not capable of the shaping a professional could do (he had it longer on the top and closely shaved from ear level down). He now insists on going to the barbers lol.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 October 2013 at 9:30AM
    Options
    Such a disrespectful comment. You're devaluing an entire industry, one in which it takes a lot of time and skill to qualify in.

Only if you value hairdressing as an industry to begin with.
    Personally, I can think of fewer 'industries' that are more superficial and valueless (maybe the fashion 'industry' or the so-called Beauty 'industry' :wall:)
    If people [STRIKE]waste[/STRIKE] spend a lot of time to get qualified in something so pointless, then that is their choice.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • dandelionclock30
    Options
    Latour2008 wrote: »
    I don`t think I've ever taken the kids for a haircut, but is there any way to save money here? I appear to have spent via the OH some GBP8.50 for about 2cm of hair lopped off in 5 minutes.

Yes its called getting a pair of clippers or scizzors and doing it yourself.
  • TooTallTim
    Options
    I agree with the barber comment! Much cheaper
  • greenwoodlad
    Options
    I don't have much hair now, so i shave it with the electric clippers and OH finishes it off ..my sons are 18 and 14 - but they work and pay for their haircuts every 4-6 weeks ..costs the £10.00 each :eek:
  • summerliverpool123
    Options
    Latour2008 wrote: »
    I don`t think I've ever taken the kids for a haircut, but is there any way to save money here? I appear to have spent via the OH some GBP8.50 for about 2cm of hair lopped off in 5 minutes.
    shop around thats a very hi rate i get a haircut for £5.50 your best bet is to shop around and have a look on line also to see if people can come out to your home and cut your kids hair and depending on how many kids u have that maybe the cheapest option
  • pablakeman
    Options
    Mrs. Bob the Saver has cut my hair for years and I cut hers. She sometimes goes to a poncy expensive 'Salon' where some moronic 18 year old who's 'done a course' hacks at it but always ends up asking me to sort it out for her. £10 quid on scissors and common sense sorts it. We both used to have our hair cut in India once a year (60p each) but now don't even bother with that. It's not rocket science, just look in any 'salon' - no rocket scientists in any of them.
    (I still ask her if she's booked her holidays yet though and insist she calls me Tracey - but that's a different story).
    Nobody has yet commented on our hair, and knowing our 'friends' they would if they could.

Of course it isn't rocket science, it is cutting hair! It depends what you need doing to your hair but the point is that a trained professional is likely to be better than someone who isn't a trained professional.

Bit of harsh of you to call them poncy 18 year olds and to insult their intelligence. I hate to be that guy, but come on, give them a break!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When the boys were younger I had a friend (trained) come in and do everyone's hair but mine, which was down my back. When I decided to have mine cut, she refused, in case I didn't like it. Once I'd had it cut and got the style sorted the way I wanted it, she started cutting mine too, and when we moved away she explained what I needed to ask for when going to a new hairdresser.

Today I went to the barber, because my hairdresser let me down - she'd booked holiday (no problem there) but didn't contact me or book me in with anyone else. When I turned up, the other stylist made me feel it was my fault: I couldn't possibly have an appointment, T was on holiday, my name wasn't there. When I looked, my name was right there under the words "T - holiday".

I wouldn't normally care, but my hair was looking very shaggy, and I had a rare party to go to. I don't like the other local salon, but remembered that there was a barber's next door. They were not busy, and the chap agreed to do me a wet cut. He's done it as I asked, so I may well go back!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport