December Debt Destruction!!!

Options

Comments

• specialkaye
    Options
    I would like to join please :D

I have bought most of my Xmas pressies already - spent £30.50 on over £125 worth of presents using high street sales and gift cards from surveys/click and search.
    I have a £5 secret santa and another £10 gift to buy and thats it. Still have wrapping paper etc from last year BUT i am going to budget £10 in the sales for paper/crackers etc for next year.

Budgeting £50 for 2 social occasions in Dec.

I walk or cycle to work/town, sometimes up to 8 miles round trip.

I live with my parents so i dont have a food budget as such but i do get sent on the hunt for reduced items while my tea is being cooked which i spend for. not sure id budget for that but i dont think i spend more than £15 a month

My biggest thing is going to be the vending machines at work, I work in reception and have to sit looking at them all day, when its quiet they definitely look back!!!

That totals £90 for the month so going to round that up slightly to £100 in case something i haven't thought about crops up.

Payday is 21st Dec so going to transfer all but £100 out of my wages to pay off more overdraft and see whats left on the 21st.

I also work in a gym so i should be able to get the exercise in (not counting my cycling as i pretty much have to do that to get around), in fact im going now. Toodles!!
    1% at a time challenge member #127

MWF: as@ Oct13 £45,917, now £43,024.56
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Whoop Whoop!!!!

Can't believe how many are up for this madness!!! Lost a few from NOvember ( undestandable - sorry folks :p) and gained some NEWBIES!!!

I am needing to finish NOvember and give it my full attention to the end so I shall be writing more on Saturday for you all!

My payslip is in and looks good so I am on track to conquer some debt!

So glad people are ready to hit this hard!!!

:T:T:TOnwards and Upwards!!!:T:T:T

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    MancMan - ha ha ha haaaaa I have this one!!!! Saved it to my computer and filled in NSD days etc and amounts I am allowed or had to pay out!!!..; - )
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • mimi35
    Options
    Hi NSK,

thank you for starting this challenge. I have been lurking for ages on forums, but now it is time to show my face:o. I have mountain of debt I need to conquer - will be doing it one by one and starting with the credit card. I probably will not be able to overpay this month as it is very tight with car service and other bits but with your challenge I am hoping to manage my money and stay away from the credit card :mad:.
    So my budget for December is £250 - including christmas food - normally £280 for two people and cat - I know it is high, but my oh is not on board. I am doing this on my own. He lives in different world to me. I am hoping that I can reduce this further.
    With bit of planning, I should manage 20NSD.
    Already agreed secret santa but will be handmade present and stuff I already have - so no spend there.

• 6 X 20 MINUTE SESSION OF EXERCISE A WEEK. However you wish you do this, just get your butt moving! This needs to be broken up throughout the week - I really need to start doing something - loosing pound everywhere:D - so great
    • I am assuming you have started Christmas food shopping and won’t need too much more – yes? - not started yet
    • “Spend” Money for anything else needs to be pre-agreed prior to the commencement of DDD. This includes last minute gifts, parties, food that’s to be taken to any party, and alcoholic drinks. - no parties to go to - christmas lunch paid from work
    • No foods are to be purchased at work canteens / cafes etc. - all lunches will be prepared day before - no more sneaky chocolates from the shops!!
    • All money needed for the month for food or spends is to be withdrawn and placed in envelopes clearly marked for purpose - done in separate account
    • 3 Wildcard Days are allowed. To qualify for one you must make the same amount of money as you plan to spend all in that same day. These are only for emergencies – if you NEED something. You make £5 on eBay; you are allowed to use it without losing an NSD etc.
    • An NSD does not include petrol, car maintenance, medications, household bills and travel to work. - ,
    • On one of your NSD’s find a homeless person and buy him/her a tea / coffee out of your budget. Don’t assume either, talk to the person and ask what they prefer -will take extra cat food to vet for charity - no stray cats around and small place so no homeless people around and will not be going to town in December as christmas presents already bought
    • NO Beauty spends for the ladies over £5.
    • NO extra beer for the boys at all. If it’s in your house drink it, then start on the soft drinks.
    • Set a petrol allowance and stick to it. When in doubt walk - £60
    • Those that completed NOvember get rid of what is in your cupboards before buying Christmas supplies.
    • Those of you who are new to this challenge clear your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more food. You DO NOT NEED reems of food for Christmas Day. Buy very CAREFULLY. What do you always buy each year that NEVER gets eaten?
    • Call 5 friends / family members / acquaintances / work colleague / virtual stranger’s – and tell them you will not be buying gifts this year-only buying for 5 - closest family and all presents sorted already
    • DO NOT enter any secret Santa at work or anywhere else.
    • Batch cook now, try to avoid massive tins of sweets, fancy biscuits in expensive tins and £7 cakes from M&S.
    • Down-shift some “essentials” to Supermarket Own Brands…get the family used to it now!!!
    • NO ENTRY to any sales in the month of DDD - no problem here
    • Buy one of these. Start filling it. You will not be given access for 1 year. Once its full you start another one. - will make my own and put £1 for not buying new one
    And finally - as annoying as this will be ( amongst everything else ) I need you to keep a spending diary - This will be hard one - but with 20 NSD - should be quite empty ;)

So can I please get number - need something to keep me motivated this month - soo exciting :j

Thank you.

Debt 1 (1/11/12) CC - £3,694.27:eek: - one at a time - 3 more in hiding:(
    DDD member #29
    NSD - December 7/20
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Mimi35 welcome on board! Nutter...; - )

I will ask folk though, when you sign up and tell us about yourself and what you have planned please refrain from quoting the original post and answering each point.. its gonna get a super long post otherwise and we can't risk putting anyone more nutters off...:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Happytogetdebtfree
    Options
    Im on cheerleading duty hahaha xx
    I AM A MONEY MAGNET, THEY ARE MAKING MORE MONEY FOR ME AS WE SPEAK:pMIKES MOB, DFW NERD 1071, DFW LHS 132!MIRACLES HAPPEN I'VE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES. LBM 08£77240.69 Current outstanding total £36083.01 Paid so far = £41157.68
  • nannygladys
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've just found this thread and would like to give it a go. I do have a couple of probs, I only spend about £40 on food a month so I cant really cut it by £30, its as low as it can be and I cant really cut down on Xmas pressies as I only buy for immediate family and its mostly homemade anyway, 20NSD well I can certainly try, I managed 10 this month so I will have to try harder, fuel - I always put the same amount in to last just work journeys sooooo please sign me up, I will use an old and almost empty terrimundi pot for change and I have found an old notebook for my spending diary, so roll on Dec!!!!!

Oh I have my DD2 and family for Xmas and the week after(they live abroad) but she will contribute to food etc getting quite excited:rotfl:

Jxx:)
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - 
  • I'm in please with a few modifications!

• This challenge commences on the 01st December 2012 @ 00:01 and finishes on 31st December 2012 @ 23:59.
    • Minimum 20 NSD. Please pledge this on the NSD board, do not do this on this thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4312083
    • 6 X 20 MINUTE SESSION OF EXERCISE A WEEK. However you wish you do this, just get your butt moving! This needs to be broken up throughout the week! need to get out and about with dogs etc so this should be relativley easy
    • Food budget must decided upon before the commencement of this challenge then slashed by £30. I am assuming you have started Christmas food shopping and won’t need too much more – yes?Umm no no food except for the home produced pork and lamb, also gammon and bacon coming back from butcher in 2 weeks time and already paid for, but i'm determined not to go mad with food this Christmas!
    • “Spend” Money for anything else needs to be pre-agreed prior to the commencement of DDD. This includes last minute gifts, parties, food that’s to be taken to any party, and alcoholic drinks. Pretty simple, no parties and will budget in a bit for those last minute gifts which are very few and far between
    • No foods are to be purchased at work canteens / cafes etc. If you are having a family day out packed lunches are the only lunches allowed. Fine except already booked up for a lunch out with daughters so will budget that into spends money
    • All money needed for the month for food or spends is to be withdrawn and placed in envelopes clearly marked for purpose. Im doing virtual envelopes and transfering all the money in them into a seperate account
    • 3 Wildcard Days are allowed. To qualify for one you must make the same amount of money as you plan to spend all in that same day. These are only for emergencies – if you NEED something. You make £5 on eBay; you are allowed to use it without losing an NSD etc.
    • An NSD does not include petrol, car maintenance, medications, household bills and travel to work.,
    • On one of your NSD’s find a homeless person and buy him/her a tea / coffee out of your budget. Don’t assume either, talk to the person and ask what they prefer. Id have to use a lot of petrol to trawl for someone homeless near me so Ill put something in the food bank box instead
    • NO Beauty spends for the ladies over £5. What beauty spends?
    • NO extra beer for the boys at all. If it’s in your house drink it, then start on the soft drinks. Hubby is teetotal and i only drink wine!!!
    • Set a petrol allowance and stick to it. When in doubt walk. cant walk anywhere from here but will plan all journeys and only go if essential
    • Those that completed NOvember get rid of what is in your cupboards before buying Christmas supplies.
    • Those of you who are new to this challenge clear your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more food. You DO NOT NEED reems of food for Christmas Day. Buy very CAREFULLY. What do you always buy each year that NEVER gets eaten? EEEEK this is going to be HARD but ill do my best!
    • Call 5 friends / family members / acquaintances / work colleague / virtual stranger’s – and tell them you will not be buying gifts this year. only buy for close family so not a problem and ive already got most presents and cut budget so pretty pleased with myself here!
    • DO NOT enter any secret Santa at work or anywhere else.
    • Batch cook now, try to avoid massive tins of sweets, fancy biscuits in expensive tins and £7 cakes from M&S.
    • Down-shift some “essentials” to Supermarket Own Brands…get the family used to it now!!! Cant shift much more down but will try
    • NO ENTRY to any sales in the month of DDD. Unless you have a planned budget and have been saving for a specific item PLEASE do not go to the Boxing Day Sales. I just put a dress from NEXT on eBay that I bought last Boxing Day and never wore. Its temptation you can’t handle to buy tat you really don’t need. STAY AT HOME!!! Avoid shops like the plague anyway
    • Buy one of these. Start filling it. You will not be given access for 1 year. Once its full you start another one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...rds=money+tins

And finally - as annoying as this will be ( amongst everything else ) I need you to keep a spending diary. Something will always crop up that you need to spend pennies on... write it all down. ON your phone, scrap of paper.. keep these scraps safe though...

phone diary it is!

Now just got to get in gear and on I go! :T
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    I shall be adding your name to the list shortly but for the live of all things decent would u nutters PLEASE stop re-posting the ENTIRE front page!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure