MSE News: Asda and Tesco to cut petrol prices

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Asda and Tesco to cut petrol prices

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
25 replies 3K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
"The supermarkets' drops haven't led to a price war, while the cost of diesel remains unchanged..."

Replies

• Typical every vehicle we have is diesel!!!!
  • Hang on a minute? Surely this is simple economics, not a price war! We're all out there buying diesel cars due to their greater fuel economy & reliability, so the demand for diesel has gone up while the demand for petrol has gone down.

Seems like normal business sense to me - if you're not selling as much of the stuff, drop the price to make it more attractive!
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Could we have just a bit less parrotting of PR blurb that lands on your desks?

Add up all the MSE articles about fuel price cuts, and all the articles about price increases, and where do we get to?
  • redux wrote: »
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Could we have just a bit less parrotting of PR blurb that lands on your desks?

Add up all the MSE articles about fuel price cuts, and all the articles about price increases, and where do we get to?

virtually no change in the petrol price over the course of this year :p

in june I paid 1.329 a litre, today I paid 1.329 a litre :rotfl: and people complain prices are rising, how does that work?
  • torbrextorbrex
    71.4K posts
    Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit! Post of the Month Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do they constantly rub diesel owners noses in it?

When I first started driving diesel cars, the price per litre was about 10p cheaper than that of unleaded, it has now gone full circle the other way :mad:
  • JC_DerbyJC_Derby Forumite
    760 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    im-lost wrote: »

in june I paid 1.329 a litre, today I paid 1.329 a litre :rotfl: and people complain prices are rising, how does that work?

How much 12 months. Before that?
  • 20102010 Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    im-lost wrote: »

Of course prices have changed this year
    ALL upwards during the summer period when people use their cars more.
    Now they pretend to cut them but a real cut would be BELOW 1.329 a litre.

Don`t forget the tax on this is in the region of 80p a litre and this is where a cut should also come from instead of an increase in January.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2107374/Fuel-tax-British-motorists-pay-60-duty-VAT-petrol.html

Oil prices are kept high by "speculators" (bankers yet again).
  • I see us in Britain, still getting ripped off.

I dream of the day it drops below a pound (might be hallucinating then!!)
    You, yes YOU can do SOMETHING about it!
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    torbrex wrote: »
    Why do they constantly rub diesel owners noses in it?

When I first started driving diesel cars, the price per litre was about 10p cheaper than that of unleaded, it has now gone full circle the other way :mad:

There was even a time when diesel was cheaper here than abroad, but that's long gone after Ken Clarke added loads of duty while the fuel price was falling.

I can remember filling up with diesel at 41.2 pence a litre in price war central (Hemel Hempstead at that time) the day of one Budget in the 90s and driving past places which had it at 53.9 later the same day.
  • scaredofdebtscaredofdebt Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    It's 137.9 here for diesel if you shop around a bit, I can remember paying close to 1.50 a few months back.

Still a rip off mind.

£1.37 for a litre of prehistoric sea creatures is extortionate.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support