PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2012 Grocery Challenge!!!!! REALLLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Options

Comments

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 November 2012 at 10:41PM
    Options
    DH wanted a m&s steak for tea and to check if they had and reduced bread so went along to the food one along the road. DH decided on a pizza which as a relief after he had been eyeballing the Aberdeen Angus peppered steaks at nearly £11:eek:

Spent approx £34 but this included £16 on a turkey crown from the christmas budget and £1.49 on some fireman sam choc lollies for DS stocking. Also went for the £10 deal and got veg, Yorkshires, a chicken joint and 2 bags of veg for e£10. I decided the ald1 joint I bought was too small for tomorrow for 5 people and the one I got from m&s should have been £9:eek: and is much bigger.

Made my first GF loaf in the bread maker tonight. I haven't cut it yet but it seems a bit full of bubbles and air gaps on top. Smells nice though:D I've also made the crumble filling for tomorrow.

The fridge is full to bursting and having spent a big chunk of this months budget I need to watch my pennies from now on.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Made my first GF loaf in the bread maker tonight. I haven't cut it yet but it seems a bit full of bubbles and air gaps on top. Smells nice though:D I've also made the crumble filling for tomorrow."

XSpender, if the gf loaf works out, can you let me know the recipe as I'm new to the gf thing and the bread and cakey type treats really put a dent in the budget!
    :mad:

Sorry, being a bit dim and can't use the quote function!
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
  • mossy
    mossy Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 November 2012 at 12:21AM
    Options
    Helloo ho ho! :santa2:

Been a little awol but keeping track. So busy and tired!! This has lead to a few takeouts. :o

Please can you put me down for £250, my month runs from the 20th Nov to 19th Dec so most if not all of my Christmas food shopping will be done in this month. ;)

Already spent a considerable amount but freezer is fairly well stocked with yellow stickers etc. I did a little bit of batch cooking today so have 3 lots of mince and gravy filling for cottage pies etc ready. Was going to do more but ended up spending over 2 hours in the new Hobbycraft which opened up this week!! :eek: :shhh: Obviously spent way too much but a completely different budget so it's not too bad! Will try and make up a couple more meals to freeze tomorrow for the coming weeks. DH has been on tour this week and is back tomorrow morning around 4am for a couple of days before he's off again. Really this should make the meals a lot cheaper as we can eat pasta etc, that of course doesn't work when DD convinces me (oh she really had to twist my arm...not) :D to get a chinese takeaway for tea the other night!!

Anyway....

:rudolf: Happy Almost Christmas to everyone!! :xmastree:
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another £66.16 spend today - we only went in for spuds and bread :eek:

But, included in that we did get all the savoury bits for Christmas and the chicken.

Annoyed though as the chicken we got delivered a few days back is still in date and our fridge is fine, but we opened it for tonight's roast dinner (and all the leftovers) and it had gone off :mad: Mr Shortie phoned Mr T who said they'd refund us next time we went in if we kept the packaging etc but that's completely not the point - we had nothing else defrosted and today bought a whole load of roast dinner veggies with no meat. So we ended up with a blooming take out. Not a happy bunny
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • medsdemon
    Options
    Please put me down for £250 for the month running from November 25th - december 27th.

Am not planning on any extra food expenses for xmas as we're all over the place and we aren't having guests so am refusing to go overboard buying unnecassary (sp) stuffs we certainly dont need. I go to visit my mum for NY on 28th so OH and DD can sort them selves out then!!!!

Last month I lost count but was certainly over the budget I set so I have upped it by £50.

Today is a planned NSD.
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VickyV wrote: »
    "Made my first GF loaf in the bread maker tonight. I haven't cut it yet but it seems a bit full of bubbles and air gaps on top. Smells nice though:D I've also made the crumble filling for tomorrow."

XSpender, if the gf loaf works out, can you let me know the recipe as I'm new to the gf thing and the bread and cakey type treats really put a dent in the budget!
    :mad:

Sorry, being a bit dim and can't use the quote function!

Hi VickyV

The GF loaf turned out really nice with a soft crust. Even DH who doesn't have to eat GF thought it was nice.

I used the Juvela fibre mix with added xantham gum using the recipe on their website for bread makers. I am new to a GF diet too and have had success so far with Victoria sponge, crumble, scones and some biscuit recipes. Pastry is a nightmare:eek:

I get the mixes on prescription.

XS
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • GreyhoundAngel
    Options
    Hello everyone :wave:

Is it too late for a newbie to join ?

Due to some sudden, drastic (read immediate!) & unexpected declines in our monthly income (WTC decrease, loss of hours at work) and now redundancy looming in January - I need to drastically cut our grocery budget :(

I know from reading the intro posts, that it's not recommended to do a drastic drop - but we have no choice. Our budget has never been very big (one part-time income + WTC + basic care DLA), but we need to cut it to the bone.

So, after all that pathetic waffle :o Please can you add me for £150(£35pw) for December

Angel x
    ~ On the Road to Making Dreams Happen ~
    January £10 a Day Challenge £ 0.00 / £750 - (Running Total £1,512.11)
    52 Week Challenge £ 0.00 / £1,378

Debt Owed £23,200 / £19,251 - Mtge Owed Bal £140,000 / £130,940 - Total Debt Balance Owed : £163,200 / £150,191
  • StressedSteph
    StressedSteph Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 November 2012 at 4:13PM
    Options
    Hi everyone,

We are a family of four and going to have a go at £200 for December. My current budget is set at £280 per month but going to try and be abit more thrifty.

We don't need to buy any meat so hoping to keep it at £50 per week.

Good luck everyone xxx
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Budgets done to here :) Thanks Suffolk lass for your help :A

Welcome to the newcomers - GreyhoundAngel and StressedSteph - please don't hesitate to ask if you need help - lots of great people post on here :D

Off to work soon, so have a great evening everyone.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Into the Water by Paula Hawkins 14/24
  • Sabrina237
    Options
    Please could you put me down for £250 for December? £200 for the month and £50 for Xmas treats and bits. Thank you
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 (2014) #1851
    SPC 6 (2013) £69.13 SPC 5 (2012) £7.12
    Vouchers total for 2013- £35 of vouchers from mySurvey and 8 Pinecone luncheon vouchers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure