PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2012 Grocery Challenge!!!!! REALLLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Options

Comments

• minicooper272
    Options
    Well I intended to spend no money on food this week, but that just didn't happen!

A local church group were collecting food outside the supermarket on Sunday, and I meant to pop something extra in my basket, but completely forgot! Talking to one of our clients at work, it turned out they were one of those collecting, and, after a bit of chit chat told them 'I've got too much food in the house, I'll be glad to get rid of some of it!'
    I forgot all my food is half used (which is why it's taking up all this space), so I had to go out and buy a bag full just to give away, because I had promised a client after all :o

I've spent just over £5 so far this week, so currently I'm at £26/90 :eek: £16 ahead of where I wanted to be. I now have a separate purse for groceries, and if there's no money in there, I can't buy it.
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    craigywv wrote: »
    i want the thigh and drummer added on anyone have any ideas ...must be cheap please anyway i have rambled on here too much sorry xxxx
    iceland maybe
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • CookieMonsta
    Options
    A small spend yesterday at L!dl on cat food and lemons! £2.97
    Decluttering 2015: 2162/2015
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well didn't quite make a full week fiscal fast as couldn't resist some heavily reduced fruit. got 2x bags oranges 57p each instead of 1.50, 2xPears 75p instead of 2.00 and 2x kiwis 56p instead of 1.00' £9 worth for 3.76.

Had a really lovely chicken curry for tea, I used a jar of Red Thai sauce bought when they were on offer 49p sometime ago in Lidl a reduced 80p chicken breast. which was huge half an onion and it made three portions, cost 45p a meal, and the nicest cheapest curry I have ever had.
    Slimming World at target
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    she_who_can_not_cook Posts: 650 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2012 at 9:33PM
    Options
    I keep an A5 sized diary and I draw a line down the centre. One half of each page is non food and the other half is food. It is a godsend to refer to for many things as well as budgets. Good to know how long something lasted-what you spent on petrol the last month etc-I am often referring to it. I also keep notes in it if I lend the kids any money or if they pay me any back-its my all in one refernce moneywise! I look down each receipt and I do separate my spends so if its £50 spend and £15 is on household stuff I write it as £15 and £35 respectively sometimes with extra notes on the household side to list what it was. I found over the last couple of years that quite a large chunk was indeed on "other" stuff and not all of it necessary!
    i also keep a price book with the cheapest price i got XXX where and when ... so when you look at a item you can see if a good deal IS A GOOD DEAL when i was on another site the OAMC lady said to keep a price book with the top25/30 items you use the most.
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    nicolula87 wrote: »
    Poor planning on my part as normally buy enough milk to get us through the week when I do the big shop in Asda, and had to pay 32p more in Co-op! Oh well, lesson learned! Will add to my total spend on my sig.

Going to be big spends this weekend as have to cook enough food to get us through most of 2 weeks of evening meals as new kitchen going in. Lots of planning required I think!
    if i have enough space i try and get a extra milk and freeze it

• mossy
    mossy Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Little spends in Waitrose today, £3.48. DH wanted me to buy pudding but I didn't so that saved some money.

Had to buy some antibac spray because we're going down like flies in our Reception year at school and I don't want to end up being poorly without any antibac nearby!
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £8 odd spent yesterday ( I can't remember if I posted yesterday:o). I'm glad it wasn't tonight I needed to get milk because it took me 2 hours to drive home:eek: I was supposed to go to college but gave up when I was stuck in gridlocked traffic with 2 miles to :mad:

Why does everything come to a standstill when it snows? You would think we had never seen it before. It is icy though:eek:
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • mossy
    mossy Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have made a christmas food list and have done meal plan all the way to christmas eve so thats useful and will hopefully keep costs down...i can hope

Oh, I've started to do this but haven't finished it. Do you want to come around and do mine?? Pretty pretty please!?! :D

In other news, managed to superglue my arm this evening trying to fix DD's draw and money box...whoops!! :eek:
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • pinchingpenny
    Options
    stocked up on some bargains today and some fresh veg!
    49p cucumber- I weighed it when I got home so I can see if it *is* truly a bargain because it does look smaller than the ones in the supermarket. It was 300g for future reference!

56p potatoes, onion, mushrooms
    19p 2 bananas
    £3.24 at Mr. T- MORE tinned tomatoes at 4 for £1 (should have enough now to last till they're next on offer!) canned soup (don't normally buy but they were crazy cheap), porridge oats, plain flour to make tortillas.

Also done a list of what I think I may still need to buy for the month so we'll see how accurate it is
    - bread flour
    - rice
    - spaghetti
    - garlic
    - milk
    - fresh fruit
    - Twinings vanilla tea (my luxury! Though I do have a 50p off coupon)

should be sorted for everything else! Did pasta in homemade sauce tonight + leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. Then must have omelette tomorrow night as my eggs need using up!

Off to update signature now
    Nov Groceries: approx £90
    Dec GC: £31.93/£60 Jan GC: £33.55/£45 Feb GC: £0/£45
    Pot: Dec 195/ Jan 147/ Feb 114/ Mar 43
    Total: 499
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts