Insider knowledge! You can't beat that! ;D
  • fragster
    fragster Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks for the tip :)
  • SARKI_2
    Options
    I have known people to put a blanket over the tv and stick it at the bottom of their wardrobe each night, but I certainly can't recommend actions like this.
  • wirm
    wirm Posts: 5,273 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe I'm wrong but if you have your own room locked, surely they can't get into your room.....and if they do get in, can you not 'pretend' your not in?
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe I'm wrong but if you have your own room locked, surely they can't get into your room.....and if they do get in, can you not 'pretend' your not in?

If the university give them permission to access your room, then they can enter even if you say no or aren't in. I know that the uni I'm at haven't given them permission, but some may do
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• wirm
    wirm Posts: 5,273 Forumite
    Options
    its an interesting one.....
  • rygon
    rygon Posts: 748 Forumite
    Options
    or if it a bit of a hurry cut off the plug and say the tv was left here and i didnt want it so i cut the plug off. (make sure the tv aint been used for a bit...doesnt work if its still warm)
    but with 4 years of digs i got 2 letters a term. none i replied to and they never called...just luck of the draw really.
    did you hear about those student campaigning that by law all non fictional information is free so they should therefore be able to watch tv for that matter (as it has news and student learning). they did really good until when they got interviewed on tv with the question "what sort of programs do you watch" they replied "well mainly eastenders and corro" doh
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • nasrin_2
    Options
    When my brother was at halls - they had the tv licensing guys come over to check each room. They were massive halls and as soon as the guy started withthe first room the word spread and everyone knew he was coming before he actually arrived and so managed to hide the TVs in time.

In my own first halls, one guy had a tv license, and he just said if you know someones coming round, put your tv in the kitchen and I'll say its mine. - which was very nice of him.

And in my second halls, I had about 3 letters, but noone ever came round.

I think if you choose not to get it, its a bit of a risk. But usually in busy/big halls - students will notify each other very quickly if someone starts checking ... unfortunate for those who have room no1 !!
  • mogoot
    mogoot Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Without wanting to be rude, why can't you just pay the licence? Spread over the year, it's hardly a huge expense, particularly if you can share the cost with flatmates.
  • ohit
    ohit Posts: 370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think if one is in a proper house that just happens to be occupied by students - get the license, it is law.

However, for living in uni halls - forget it, 'cos it's too easy to get away with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure