We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Is there any way of reducing my bill?

93123
93123 Posts: 299 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
I'm on a 24 month contract with T-Mobile, 600 minutes, unlimited browsing and texts for £26 a month. I only got it for the internet as I was living in unstable accommodation where I couldn't get broadband for 6-12 months so I thought it was worth it but I've moved out and got broadband now. I don't use more than 30 minutes a month and no longer need the internet. I'd rather get rid of it and get normal talktime if and when I need it. Anything I can do to either get out of the contract (don't throw stones at me) or at least reduce my bill?

Comments

  • Techhead_2
    Techhead_2 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    I think it very unlikely that you will be allowed to break your commitment. I think the best you can hope for is to change to a different tariff at the same cost, or if you are really nice, you might be able to get a gesture of g ood will. Perhaps a small discount.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,795 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    You took a 24 months contract to get internet for 6-12 months and now no surprise don't want it? you could have got payg with unlimited internet for £10 a month and you would be home free now!

    Presume you got an expensive phone in the deal, how does T-Mobile get that cost back if you don't complete the term?

    I just hope other people read this and learn something, a contract is a contract for a reason. Unless you have really thought it through and looked fully ahead - never sign one.
  • And the meaning of "contract" is....

    No disrespect to the OP but this is very much like groundhog day
  • 93123
    93123 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Well, it didn't hurt to ask.... Reducing my bill didn't sound that extreme if I couldn't get out of it.
  • ring thm up see of they'll reduce your tariff
    What goes around-comes around
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,129 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Sell the handset and put that towards the monthly cost, use a cheapo £10 PAYG one with your existing SIM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Most companies will let you do a change of ownership where you can get a friend/family member to take over the contract for the remainder of it, why don't you do that?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.