PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

re-using envelopes?

Options
Hi, new to OS, so sorry if this has been covered before. the other day I was needing an envelope so I neatly opened some junk mail, turned the envelope inside out, stuck it back together at the edges and used it like that. I know it sounds a bit bonkers, but surely this is OS and quite 'green'.?? I thought I migth carry on doing this, would anyone know of a reason why my post might not get there?

also, on this same subject, you know when you sometimes get sent (in junk mail) a pre-paid envelope, could you scribble out the address and use if for other means? thus saving a stamp? does anyobody do this?

half my mail is useless waste of paper, I thought I might try to make use of it!

Comments

• MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Turning envelopes inside out is fine and there's no reason that the post won't get there, as long as you stick them back together properly.

You cannot use a pre-paid envelope but change the address unless you also affix a stamp. The way that the business reply service works is that the charge is made at the receiving end by counting the items delivered. If it's on a business reply envelope but the address to which it's delivered isn't registered for the service, it'll simply be delivered as unstamped and surcharged accordingly.

I would (and do) re-use business reply envelopes by sticking a label over the address and sticking a stamp on too; but the saving is dubious because labels seem to cost almost as much as envelopes.

Incidentally, if anyone knows where you can get very cheap labels around the right size for this task, I'd appreciate it!
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, it's a marketing department misnomer to call the BRS envelopes "pre-paid". They are more like "delivery paid".
  • CLARABEL
    CLARABEL Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    yes,

the best thing to do with the junk ones other than reuse them as an envelope is ut all the junk back in them and post, that way the company has to pay extra for sending you rubbish!

:D

clara
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My work as a market researcher means that I have to send off for info to companies etc who of course add me to their mailing lists :rolleyes:, so I do get an inordinate amount of junk mail. I keep all the return envelopes they enclose and just stick a label on the address and re-use it. I buy the cheapest labels I can get, and lately I've had sent off for a freebie so now I have 20 free labels. :p
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • jennet1
    jennet1 Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    Turning envelopes inside out is fine and there's no reason that the post won't get there, as long as you stick them back together properly.

You cannot use a pre-paid envelope but change the address unless you also affix a stamp. The way that the business reply service works is that the charge is made at the receiving end by counting the items delivered. If it's on a business reply envelope but the address to which it's delivered isn't registered for the service, it'll simply be delivered as unstamped and surcharged accordingly.

I would (and do) re-use business reply envelopes by sticking a label over the address and sticking a stamp on too; but the saving is dubious because labels seem to cost almost as much as envelopes.

Incidentally, if anyone knows where you can get very cheap labels around the right size for this task, I'd appreciate it!

Avery so samples of their labels, you get sent up to 5 a4 sheets of labels ( I think) https://www.avery.co.uk/uk1/colourlaser/
  • sharon_burgess
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »

hi there you can get cheep labels 100 4 99p from 99p shop
    hope this helps sharon
  • hflower74
    hflower74 Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got some labels off the Freebie board too and now reuse any envelope i can. :)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,461 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    stationers / office supply shops sell quite cheap self adhesive labels. I got 250 for 99p the other day in our local one. I use them for labelling HM jam, chutney, storage containers in the food cupboards, freezer containers etc as well as reusing envelopes, so like to have a good supply handy.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jennet1 wrote: »
    Avery so samples of their labels, you get sent up to 5 a4 sheets of labels ( I think) https://www.avery.co.uk/uk1/colourlaser/
    "Offer no longer available". Too many visits from MSE, maybe? ;)
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    I got some seedshare veg seeds and they were sent in a pre pay envelope with my address put on and I didn't get charged. There was a bit of a discussion about it on the chat board there, definatly a grey area- I wouldn't do it!
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport