PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Comments

• henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    Hi, here is the recipe for Lemon and Orange Curd.

Because of the long slow cooking time there is no danger of the cheese curdling, however do not be tempted to shortcut and not use a basin!

Make 1lb, prep time 10 mins, cook time 3 to 4 hours

1 lemon
    1 orange
    4oz unsalted butter
    1lb caster sugar
    4 medium eggs

Preheat cooker on high. Finely grate the rind from the fruit and squeeze out the juice. Place in a pan and add the butter and the sugar. Heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved. Allow to cool.

When cool, beat the eggs into the fruit mixture. poor into a two pint pudding basin and cover with tin foil. Place in the slow cooker and pour in sufficient water to come half way up the sides of the basin. reduce the temp and cook for three to four hours or until thickened. If possible, stir occassionally when cooking. When time is up, stir well and pour into sterilized warm jars. When cold, put the lids on and it should keep for a month in the fridge - but is is so tasty it probably won't have the chance!
  • lazylins
    lazylins Posts: 199 Forumite
    has any one ever tried slow cooking whole onions? and if so do they work well.
    i have a slow cooker, ive only used a few times, and wanna start using it more often, before iam moaned at for buying something i dont use.

i have lots of onions that need using, and was wondering if anyone could suggest any tasty ways of using them, maybe to make sauces or gravy even curry sauce? or anything like adding sausages as well....mmm makes me feel hungry just thinking about it, but ive never slow cooked sausages before so dont have a clue how to go about it!!

thanks
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Oh yes! Not in the slow cooker (though it might work) but if you look in the Old Style Recipe Index there's a great basic curry sauce by Curry_Queen that uses up lots of onions :)

You'll find the OSRI by using the "Indexed Collections" sticky at the top of the forum listing, or by following the clue in my signature below anywhere you see it...

..or by using the link in the Blue Bar at the top of every page which looks a bit like this:-

pagetop.gif
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Scoflo
    Scoflo Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    as a slimmer I use a lot of butter nut squash. I normally cook it in the oven & scrape the inside out to use. If I put it in my slow cooker would I add water or not?
    :hello: Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want:hello:

• squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd be inclined to put a small amount of water in so that it can form the seal around the lid. You could stand your squash on an upturned saucer to keep it out of the water if you like.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    henhog wrote:
    Hi, here is the recipe for Lemon and Orange Curd.

Because of the long slow cooking time there is no danger of the cheese curdling, however do not be tempted to shortcut and not use a basin!

Make 1lb, prep time 10 mins, cook time 3 to 4 hours

1 lemon
    1 orange
    4oz unsalted butter
    1lb caster sugar
    4 medium eggs

Preheat cooker on high. Finely grate the rind from the fruit and squeeze out the juice. Place in a pan and add the butter and the sugar. Heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved. Allow to cool.

When cool, beat the eggs into the fruit mixture. poor into a two pint pudding basin and cover with tin foil. Place in the slow cooker and pour in sufficient water to come half way up the sides of the basin. reduce the temp and cook for three to four hours or until thickened. If possible, stir occassionally when cooking. When time is up, stir well and pour into sterilized warm jars. When cold, put the lids on and it should keep for a month in the fridge - but is is so tasty it probably won't have the chance!

I was just going to post Lemon Curd, then read last few threads and found yours. Yesterday I did exactly the same as above, but used 4 lemons, and no oranges.

Its ab fab, Hubby has had loads already so tangy, yum.
    :j
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    And if you can't bear to wait for hours and hours there's a yummy twenty minute recipe in our Old Style Recipe Collection. In the nibbles bit :)
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have made my Lemon Cheese (or Curd whatever :D ) for years in the microwave. Here is the recipe, so quick and easy and less hassle. It's a winner everytime.

Juice of 1 large lemon
    2 eggs
    2 tab butter (I usually cut up into little cubes)
    1/3 cup sugar

Combine all ingredients in microwave bowl. Cook covered with cling wrap on defrost cycle 6 - 8 mins, stirring occassionally until thick. Pour into glass jar. Referigerate. This makes one jar, so if you want more just double up.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    I've been looking at some of your slow cooker recipes and some of them don't have step to step directions of what to do, also most of them do not say how much of each item you need :confused: One of them says Paprika, but how much of it?

Do you just guess how much to put in? :rolleyes:
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Yeah... bit naughty that, but we all do it. Thing is, you could be cooking for one, or two, or six...

..so a lot of the recipes just say "put some mince..." which is where you decide how many servings you want to make and put enough mince in for, say, four servings. (Even if there's only two of you - four servings is a good idea 'cos then you can freeze the remains ready for an instant ready meal another day)

As for herbs and spices, again, it's often left fairly open, not just for portion numbers but for personal preference too. If you're not sure - guess in teaspoons not in tablespoons and if it ain't tasty enough after it's been cooking a while then you can always add more. It's difficult to take it out after you've put it in :)

Other than that you can simply reply to the recipe post concerned and ask the poster for advice :)

I'll now merge this post with the slow cooker thread to keep things tidy :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport