PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Options

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    just a tip i posted in the msa when storing slow cooker, put a bit of bicarn in it to stop the stale smell that you get when its not been used for a while.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Could do with some urgent advice please, if anyone knows.

I have had a vegetable casserole in the crockpot since 11.00 this morning, to eat at about 8.00 (taking no chances ;) - got it on low setting). The veg and spuds are now doing nicely, and I want to add some veggie dumplings before we eat it. The dumpling mix pack says to add 15-20 mins before serving, but of course that is for normal cooking in an oven.

I was wondering what the equivalent slow-cooking time should be to add the dumplings. I suppose you would do an oven-cooked stew for about 2 hours, so would I be right in thinking about 1 hour should do it for dumplings in the crockpot?

I also need to thicken it (using gravy granules) but am doing that gradually, to see how it goes on.

Hope I'm not breaking any board rules, as this isn't strictly money saving - except I would have chucked out the elderly carrots if I wasn't hiding them in my stew ;D.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    chuck dumplings in an hour before. ;D they should be just nice.
  • vernall
    vernall Posts: 556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hi guys
    all these slow cooker recipes are gr8 ;D

im after a bit of a hint/tip please

for christmas this year we have a boneless turkey breast joint(shaped like a torpedo)now instead of roasting this in the oven as usual,im tempted to try cooking it in the slow cooker........
    has anyone ever done this before and what did you/would you use for stock? im guessing chicken/turkey stock with perhaps some sort of herbs in??
    but im guessing its gonna very moist/tender
    thanks in advance
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    I read a good tip in Prima today:
    When you have left over wine pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze it then, when you need wine for a recipe you don't have to open a new bottle.
    Hope it helps somebody. Unfortunatly for me 'left over wine' is an alien concept in my house :-[ and 'you don't have to open a new bottle' spoils all the fun of cooking ::)
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dumplings 30min - high 1hr - low
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    left over wine!!!!! thats not natural surely, how can you leave some in the bottle. :o ;D (she says on 3rd glass)
  • aussielle
    aussielle Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    hi guys
    all these slow cooker recipes are gr8 ;D

im after a bit of a hint/tip please

for christmas this year we have a boneless turkey breast joint(shaped like a torpedo)now instead of roasting this in the oven as usual,im tempted to try cooking it in the slow cooker........
    has anyone ever done this before and what did you/would you use for stock? im guessing chicken/turkey stock with perhaps some sort of herbs in??
    but im guessing its gonna very moist/tender
    thanks in advance

I cooked a turkey crown in mine last year, it was the best tasting one ever! Just used water and a veg stock cube..which made lovely gravy at the end with bisto.
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • vernall
    vernall Posts: 556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I cooked a turkey crown in mine last year, it was the best tasting one ever!  Just used water and a veg stock cube..which made lovely gravy at the end with bisto.

thanks for the reply,obviously you totally cover the crown in liquid?i tend to cook everything on LOW and im guessing a solid piece of meat would need a fair old cooking time?

as i said i cook everything on LOW.i put a beef stew on last night before i went to bed and we had it this evening for tea and the beef just feel apart,lovely
  • aussielle
    aussielle Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I totally covered it and left it on low all day
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing