Comet Sale Starts Tomorrow

Comments

• I went into Comet the day after admin was announced. I was speaking with some of the staff: Morale was understandibly low, but they were still helpful. sa I was chatting they started closing the doors as the DL had told all stores to close right then. They had been open approx 3 hours and then sent home.
    I found what I wanted & asked for a reduction (as we all do in all haggle-able stores).

The assistant said quite honestly ' we have had all our authority removed by DL. We always discount when we can and are proud of it. Not only cant we discount but we were instructed to take all price stickers down. When we came in for work today everything we usually discount has been repriced to amounts we dont recognise'. (eg really high).
    She then showed me an item that she said she had sold two days before for £200 lower than the ticket price DL had put on.

Im NOT speaking on behalf of Comet or any of its staff; just letting you know what a Sales lady said to me.
    It seems that DL have replaced the prices to above average high street tickets, and then offered 'big discounts' or 'fire sales' & %'s off an already inflated cost. No returns too, no refunds: IMO No sale.

My thoughts go with the staff who really dont know whats going on, there were lots of tears on the shop floor when I went in.
  • Pincher wrote: »
    It's a perfect opportunity to ship in cheap stuff like Candy washing machines and pretend they are half price.

Focus pulled this trick. I downloaded and read the final accounts. The administrators did deals with various brands. Something like 1/3 of the stock was especially shipped in for the "closing down" sale.

This is exactly while im not bothering with it.:mad:
  • I agree that prices have been increased for the sale.

I went in to my local (avonmeads bristol) store today and noticed an unpriced panasonic BD75 bluray player on a shelf with others labelled 20% off, having only recently bought the same player in there for £60 for the living room TV I decided I may as well get a second for the bedroom TV if it's only £48.

On getting to the till after scanning the barcode I was told the player had been reduced from £70 to £56 so they've actually added 20% to the original selling price before reducing it in their 20% off sale.

As you can guess I left without the machine - the nearby Currys and Sainsburys stores still have it for the original £60 so why risk having a second machine with no warranty like my first if I'm only going to save £4.
  • stickgal wrote: »
    I went into Comet the day after admin was announced. I was speaking with some of the staff: Morale was understandibly low, but they were still helpful. sa I was chatting they started closing the doors as the DL had told all stores to close right then. They had been open approx 3 hours and then sent home.
    I found what I wanted & asked for a reduction (as we all do in all haggle-able stores).

The assistant said quite honestly ' we have had all our authority removed by DL. We always discount when we can and are proud of it. Not only cant we discount but we were instructed to take all price stickers down. When we came in for work today everything we usually discount has been repriced to amounts we dont recognise'. (eg really high).
    She then showed me an item that she said she had sold two days before for £200 lower than the ticket price DL had put on.

Im NOT speaking on behalf of Comet or any of its staff; just letting you know what a Sales lady said to me.
    It seems that DL have replaced the prices to above average high street tickets, and then offered 'big discounts' or 'fire sales' & %'s off an already inflated cost. No returns too, no refunds: IMO No sale.

My thoughts go with the staff who really dont know whats going on, there were lots of tears on the shop floor when I went in.

I've got a message for Comet staff ... you're getting the boot anyway... why not let customers load up with the items they've paid for ....bollox to DL ok.

do it.
  • went there yesterday. Only 10% being offered
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I went to my local Comet today and the discounts are not worth getting out of bed for - ie supposedly £25 off the (already overpriced) Dyson DC27 - making it £199.95 when I can get one from Argos at the same price with full support/warranty .......
  • They have advertising posters on top of the isles saying "10% off the lowest marked price" but the lowest marked price is the discount price and they dont knock the 10% off at the till. Wakefield store 11/11. False advertising one thinks. Stuff cheaper online or even in currys. Dont bother. stay at home with a mug of cocoa and your laptop.
  • i pod touch 16gb £159 in currys and get sony headphone worth 25 quid free and a £10 quid voucher to spend just b4 xmas. 8gb in comet 170ish with no freebies.
  • I was in a Northampton Comet shop last week looking at the Nikon L310 camera. On that day is was priced at £119.99. The day after the sales started it was priced at £149.99 but with a 10% discount real price now of £135.99. So £119.99 before the sale and £135.99 in the sale. Not a good sale to me at all.
  • Remembering the experience with Best Buy, initial discounts were paltry, but got better and better up to final closure (when the only things left were what you wouldn't want...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure