Holiday Property Bond

Options

Comments

• d97axa
    d97axa Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Having stayed at HPB properties since i was little ( i am now a bit more grown up ), i can say that they offer a great holiday. If you want a cheap holiday, then it probably isn't for you, however if you want great locations, quality and to mix with lovely people then i would recommend it. In reply to the last few e-mails i am new to this forum (only stumbled on it by accident), however I don't work in any way for HPB, although i wonder if you do, whether you get free points?

It definitely isn't a con, and although it may not sway you, the last time i checked Judith Charmers was patron or some other similar position
  • kinsey_3
    Options
    Joined HPB over a year ago and am very pleased. As said before people who visit are all bondholders or friends/family of bondholders and this means there is a better atmosphere and mutual respect as everyone has a shared interest. Granted it is the older end that go. The standard of the accomodation is guaranteed and really lovely. Its a bit like a home from home in a way. Your own apartment with UK TV,DVD, access to free DVD library, books and games. Full information on things to do etc. The properties are all in very good locations both in the UK and abroad. The main spanish property looks a bit old hat otherwise I look forward to visiting them all in the next few years.

I'm sure you can get equivalent options on the internet by searching around but with the HBP you just open their brochure and choose. I think greater benefits will accrue when you have several holidays per year and take advantage of the points free weeks (roll on retirement).

I approached it from a totally lazy perspective. Each year I would stall and delay as my partner pestered me about the holiday and I really couldn't be bothered to look at all the brochures. HPB just made it easy for me to choose and keeps my partner happy at the same time. I suppose I just like the hassle free guarantees of it and the fact that the holidays are slightly cheaper overall (although I know I've already paid in advance). If I get bored in the future then I should be able to get back approx 75% of the investment.
  • aloiseb
    aloiseb Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My parents have HPB (soudns like a disease when you put it like that!)- I dont know how many points they bought, but they seem to be constantly prevented from getting into the flagship properties because they don't have enough points.

although they've invited us to come with them a couple of times, we havne't really appreciated the benefits of it as yet - not being the type of people to want to do lovely-view, wholemeal hols in the Trossachs - but maybe when we are older and greyer, and less beleagured by children who want to go to theme parks - it will suit!

Personally, the maintenance charges - at least £250 a week - would have put me off investing. But we are well known scruffs, whereas my parents are houseproud and like to know that the property they are going to will be of a nice standard.
  • MrsGrey
    Options
    :confused:I have recently inherited some money. I have a relative who has HPBs and waxes lyrical about the scheme. I am still hazy, even after reading these posts, as to exactly what the pay-off is. As I understand it the negatives are:
    • It's not a real investment as, should you sell, you don't get all your money back, let alone an increased sum.
    • If you don't invest lots, and can't holiday at the drop of a hat, you have a reduced choice of good properties.
    • If you can't/don't use your points, you get a lousy rate cash "interest" payment
    • You DO pay for the holiday, but at a reduced rental rate. It seems you still have to pay your fares.
    The positives seem to be:
    • You get a holiday that is nicely packaged, in attractive properties.
    • the rent is reduced
    • Someone else does the work of choosing for you, mostly.
    • It encourages you to go away, rather than spend your money on booze/ other sins, or Scrooge.
    It would be a lot easier to make a financially-based decision if the exchange value of points was up-front (points per days holiday, where.) You could then assess the actual cost of a holiday to you, based on an assessment of the difference between the market rental for a certain property, and the service charge you pay. you'd then need to relate that to the cash value of your points-- and bring in current interest rates obtainable elsewhere ---aaargh! I guess you have to go to a sales presentation to get this info, as it is nowhere in marketing lit. or website.
    I will probably continue booking hols on the net and find another home for the cash (with MSE help!) I recommend Madeira at New Year, for the warmth, flowers and fireworks!:j
  • rag31
    rag31 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    I saw a leaflet from the Guardian and thought it seemed really good, better than timeshare. Thank goodness I came on here and found out that you have to pay a steep weekly charge for hiring the property and you don't get all your money back at the end!!

All the phoney posts have put me right off this too - if it can't stand on it's own merits by people who belong without (probably staff) joining to say how great it is then obviously it is not that great.

Becks
    Mum of 4 lovely children
  • Paddy2eyes
    Options
    It doesn't sound like much of a deal when you factor in a weekly charge for using the property and missing out on interest you would have acquired from having your money in a real investment . Is the capital you have tied up in the bond protected in any way?
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    Why would anyone be bothered with any of these schemes? The truth is that these bond and points schemes were dreamt up to circumvent timeshare legislation. Many people are persuaded to enter these schemes at vast cost by high pressure sales, and repent at leisure.

I have a friend with a timeshare and he uses it rarely. He does exchange for other properties but it all comes at considerable cost. RCI membership, booking fees, exchanges, maintenance etc all mont up. You are also tied to peak flight times.

We have visited some of these properties with him over the years and they are not that great. We hire private villas and houses in Spain that are far superior, and for much less money. Why bother with a pricey membership scheme.

Finally, this thread has clearly been hi-jacked by people in the HPB industry. I have never seen so many obviously 'planted' testimonials on a thread. They are all solitary posts from newly joined members. What do they take us for? Strange how many of them joined, made their only post, and had their last activity on MSE all on the same day!:rotfl:
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

Finally, this thread has clearly been hi-jacked by people in the HPB industry. I have never seen so many obviously 'planted' testimonials on a thread. They are all solitary posts from newly joined members. What do they take us for? Strange how many of them joined, made their only post, and had their last activity on MSE all on the same day!:rotfl:

Yep, got to agree with you 100 per cent. This just goes to show what a shower they are are at this very dubious firm. They try to extol the virtues of the concern but end up looking like a bunch of dafties with their amateurish attempts to plug such an ill-conceived concern.

Folks, do not touch them with the proverbial bargepole. Any firm which acts in such an unethical manner is not deserving of any consideration. You would be better putting your money into an Icelandic bank.

terryw
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    terryw wrote: »
    Yep, got to agree with you 100 per cent. This just goes to show what a shower they are are at this very dubious firm. They try to extol the virtues of the concern but end up looking like a bunch of dafties with their amateurish attempts to plug such an ill-conceived concern.

Folks, do not touch them with the proverbial bargepole. Any firm which acts in such an unethical manner is not deserving of any consideration. You would be better putting your money into an Icelandic bank.

terryw

Your money would be safer in the hands of a Nigerian e-mailer...:rotfl:
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    One must wonder then why the mods don't delete those suspicious posts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure