Holiday Property Bond

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Seronera
    Seronera Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a bond holder for years my advice is dont do it. The financial arrangements are opaque to say the least and you are much better off holidaying where you want when you want without investing capital

Sad to say, yorkgeordie may have a point. I've been in HPB since 1986..or 7..I forget. I've had many great holidays and no bad ones. There have been two or three 'realignments' of charging along the way ostensibly to stabilise the outgoings with the income. i.e. the charges have risen by some margin with the introduction of first a user charge and now an admin charge, and still there is no guarantee the books balance. The so called 'Gold Fund' is pretty well compromised due to high charges and poor investment performance. It does mean my bond value has eroded considerably from what I put in, so capital erosion is a real problem.
    The financial arrangements at HPB are probably no more than what you or I would do were we in charge, but yes, they are opaque and I am less than happy with the long term implications. Where an organisation keeps coming back asking for more money off existing Bond members, then my antennae twitch and my hackles rise. Either the financial model does not work or somebody is taking too much out of the fund in charges.

I say this with great sadness as there is so much about HPB that is absolutely bloody brilliant. I knew about the high charges from day one so have no complaint on that score. I had not anticipated that they were not enough, and even after increases are still not enough judging from the letter I received from them this year making me an offer I felt I had to refuse. You can only milk a cow so many times.

Seronera
  • Carolmed
    Options
    Thank you so much for your honest reply.. I have been thinking of investing in HPB but as you point our the weekly user charges are high and I'm sure we could rent a cottage for similar prices without having to tie up a lump sum. The big attraction for us were the courses they run but I think even they cost extra. I'm sure they are brilliant for some but decided not for us..
  • wilko50
    Options
    Hi, We had a bad experience of HPB , joined in 2002 and had a great holiday in scotland but there it ends. We recently pulled out of HPB due to a awfull holiday in corfu which included poor accommodation and DAMP BEDS !! and the rudest staff I have ever encountered. What was the final straw was the lack of concern following our complaint. Bad value for money, go to a nice hotel instead and don't waist the money.
  • wilko50
    Options
    Also the HPB staff as we found are not interested in your comfort or well being, I believe they are simply concerned with making a money. We turned up at Langton House, Dorset for a holiday and were slightly early and were met with contempt. ALSO WE DID NOT GET BACK WHAT WE INVESTED SO BE WARNED!!!!!!!!
  • Seronera
    Options
    wilko50 wrote: »
    Hi, We had a bad experience of HPB , joined in 2002 and had a great holiday in scotland but there it ends. We recently pulled out of HPB due to a awfull holiday in corfu which included poor accommodation and DAMP BEDS !! and the rudest staff I have ever encountered. What was the final straw was the lack of concern following our complaint. Bad value for money, go to a nice hotel instead and don't waist the money.

I'm not aware HPB owns any property in Corfu, so your accommodation must have been one of the privately owned tenancy arrangements over which HPB HQ only has limited control over quality. You'd need to be more specific and report back to HPB to get the matter addressed.

I've NEVER experienced a 'lack of concern' over even the smallest thing. In fact when I picked up a few bags of rubbish once and took them to a bin a member of staff must have spotted me as I found a bottle of wine on my doorstep with a thankyou note which amazed me.

I sent my In laws to Langton House for a week. They had a lovely time. I've been there, but not stayed. I'm not doubting you had a bad holiday, but you are in a tiny minority if you have.

Seronera
  • Seronera
    Options
    In reply to those who say the best properties are always booked far in advance I've just booked a week at the Henllys property on the Menai straights on Anglesey, which is excellent (I've been before four years ago) and there was ample choice of apartments for me in eight weeks time at the end of August.

You do have to take whats available obviously, and the further ahead you book the more choice there is. I've only posted this to counter some comments made on here that you have to book ages in advance. Not necessarily. If in doubt I'd always ring and ask the booking staff. They seem to know whats going on and are always helpful in my experience.
  • hellenjc
    hellenjc Posts: 457 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been a bondholder since 1990 so 23 years and have never regressted it for a second.. I haven't always agreed with some of the changes they have made but is that surprising during all those years.
    The accomodation has always been absolutely first class and I have taken many out of peak season holidays without using my annually allocated points allowance. .. best time I think anyway, who wants to go to places that are full of tourists ;)

I have always found the staff in the "resorts" and in HPB's office more helpful/knowledgeable than I have ever found anywhere else.. Frankly I cannot think of a real downside, except maybe that you do have to book well ahead for peak periods.

I agree that many of the bondholders are of retirement age but I joined when I was 36!
  • halkerstone
    Options
    I wonder whether any experienced HPB owners can answer a query for me- is there a minimum investment to be able to access point free holidays and if so, what is it ?
    Thanks for any information.
    Thanks to all who post comps!
  • Seronera
    Options
    I wonder whether any experienced HPB owners can answer a query for me- is there a minimum investment to be able to access point free holidays and if so, what is it ?
    Thanks for any information.

Yes there is I "think"..but off the top of my head I have no idea what it is. If you ring their HQ in Newmarket they will happily tell you and there is no 'hard sell' I promise you. Its just not the HPB way..thank goodness.

I had a points free week just before Christmas at Merlewood the newest property in the Lake District. The user charge for that was £330 I think. Its wonderful, what else can I say. The restoration of the main house is superb and the new apartments are very pleasant and cosy and light and well equipped. There are some niggles that I mentioned in my holiday satisfaction sheet, but nothing relevant to here. The staff, as ever were very welcoming and helpful. Not a lot else to say really
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure