ABERFAN /MERTHYR TYDFIL area

Options
azjh77
azjh77 Posts: 925 Forumite
We are thinking of moving to the Merthyr area, but my friend - from Llantwit - says it might be a bit rough for us (she's actually never visited my house on a council estate in Bristol! Now that's rough!)

Is there anyone who lives round this area can tell me what it's 'REALLY' like? I mean for teenagers hanging about, car's being nicked and stuff like that. I can't imagine it's any worse than Bristol...

15 crafts for 2015 challenge.
Christmas 2015 - started to save/wrap!

Comments

• Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PM me if you want. Merthyr has good and not so good areas - depends on which part you are going to (I work up there)
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • dexters_mum_2
    Options
    I know Merthyr quite well and indeed was considering moving there inly the house I wanted got sold!

The town centre is quite small but has all the essentials you need and it has a good out of town retail park with shops, gym and fast food outlets, you are only about 40 minutes from Cardiff in Merthyr.

Merthyr has one central hospital up on the Gurnos, which has had a bit of a reputation in the past but it is apparently undergoing regeneration, most of the houses there have been housing authority at some time but are becoming private residences with the right to buy scheme.

I think council tax bands are OK, but worth checking before you move.

PM me if you like any other info about areas.
    £2 Coin Savers Club (Christmas)- £86
    £1 Jar (Christmas)- £29
    Christmas Vouchers Saved: £145
  • localshop
    localshop Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Its got to be better than Bristol hasn't it?

I'm one of 5 kids all Merthyr born and all living somewhere else now but my father has lived a long happy life in Merthyr as have many other people. As Mark says there are good and bad bits but in general I suggest unemployment and crime are higher than average - It usually comes in the top 10 places not to live.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2005300000-2006500342,00.html

but

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/4135200.stm
  • prophecy_grrl
    Options
    Hi

I live just outside Merthyr, and know the area really well. As per previous posts there are good and bad areas. Better areas are Pant, Twyn, Dowlais, Penydarren, Cefn Coed. I find that the lower Valley (Aberfan, Troedyrhiw, Pentebach, Treharris) is quieter than upper valley, but obviously nowhere is completely crime free. the Seconday schools in the area are all pretty good, I went to one and have friends who went to others.

Feel free to PM if you like, if you have a specific area in mind to move to I'll do my best to give you honest feedback on the area, amenities, transport links etc.
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • TJ27
    TJ27 Posts: 741 Forumite
    Options
    azjh77 wrote: »
    Is there anyone who can tell me what it's 'REALLY' like? I mean for teenagers hanging about, car's being nicked and stuff like that.

It's absolutely brilliant for that sort of stuff.
  • iceicebaby
    iceicebaby Posts: 3,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to live in Merthyr and found it OK. The town has most major shops but is small enough to get round quickly. It has a big tesco, asda, and a new out of town retail park. Loads of pubs, some good some bad. as long as you stay out of the bad ones you will be ok.

Merthyr has always had a bit of a reputation but it is cleaning up its act a lot now.

I think if your used to Bristol Merthyr will be a walk in the park!
    Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com! :j
  • azjh77
    azjh77 Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I haven't replied, been on my holidays!

I can't imagine anywhere being worse than Bristol, so Wales is bound to be an improvement! We were impressed by the house prices, and wanted to be closer to DH's family in Newport (which seems to have got quite expensive) I was just a bit worried that the houses seemed 'too cheap' - so I was thinking, if it's that cheap to buy there why isn't everyone doing it.

I don't mind 'estates' as we keep our self to ourselves and have never had any trouble on the estate we live.

All we need to do now is sell this place, and convince my Mother that our being totally debt & mortgage free is a good idea - even if we will be miles away from Bristol.

15 crafts for 2015 challenge.
    Christmas 2015 - started to save/wrap!
  • prophecy_grrl
    Options
    Good luck with the house hunt azjh77, and if you need any more info on the area I'll be glad to help.

Re: house prices - we bought our mid terrace 3 bedroom in 2003 - fully refurbished, new kitchen, new carpets throughout etc, biggish garden, for £57000 - now houses on our street sell for £90-95000

Not sure if that's good / bad cf Bristol, but if this is considered cheap it's not because the houses are cr@ppy or we're in a rough area.

HTH
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lived in Merthyr for 4 years, in Ponsticill, but sorry I would never return, full of small minded, petty, lazy people who all think the world owes them a living. The local council are a nightmare to deal with for any purpose with regards to a small buisness, and planning decisions are frankly puzzling, which is a shame as they could make a great town if they had any intelligence and forward planning. As for places like the Gurnos well the reputation preceeds them and it's all totally true. I still own a house there and it has been a good investment but it will be sold sometime this year.

Be warned if you do pick the Twyn area it will shortly have a massive opencast site on it's doorstep which will last at least 20 years, oh and the Dowlais area has a massive smelly rubbish tip near there.
  • tigertiger_3
    Options
    I LOVE Merthyr...... 30 min to cardiff (for all the shops you want) 35min to swansea, brecon beacons national park on the doorstep!
    I have friends that live in Aberfan who were born there and love it..personally I prefere a little further up the valley.

lots of new build homes (wimpey, redrow, st james park), a family terraced house will cost you around £125k in a good area.

You get teenagers hanging around everywhere merthyr is no different, car theft the same.
    For teenagers...not a great deal going on...they mostly get a gang together and go to the bowling/cinema in nantgarw..but shortly work is starting on a large development which will dramatically change this, new bowling alley cinema resturants, see

http://www.merthyr-village.co.uk/index.htm
    http://www.merthyr.gov.uk/Home/default.htm

feel free to pm me for any further questions x
    £900 towards next holiday...ta very much Mr T x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business