Forum Home» Health & Beauty MoneySaving

No Buying Unnecessary toiletries in November - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

No Buying Unnecessary toiletries in November

edited 31 October 2012 at 11:02PM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
558 replies 37.2K views

Replies

• Thanks Fiasco..no more INs yet but seeing my friends tomorrow so you never know! I'm not in this month:j but still hanging around:)
    Debt free and busy treating myself:)

No more toiletries/make up until I've used what I've got stashed since Jan 2011, graduated October 2012. Restocked Dec 13..damn those sales
  • Thanks Fiasco..no more INs yet but seeing my friends tomorrow so you never know! I'm not in this month:j but still hanging around:)

Any other good pressies? Happy birthday!
  • Im back in for another month! thank you for starting us off Sunshineyday!

Day 1 and I have an epic fail. Those of you who were talking about buying the Glamour mag with Nails Inc on the cover I hope you feel guilty. It hadn't even occurred to me before I read those posts...

IN: Nails Inc Motcombe Street, from the front of Glamour mag

Sigh.

me too, i was supposed to be on a no buy of glamour too, its been an appalling mag recently. seems like theres just no substance to it anymore. i have st james. thought it was red until i got it home and realised it was exactly like about 3 other pinks i own :(
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries!
  • Have my first UU of the new month - yay!

L'Occitane ultra rich shower cream - Mr KM & DDs have been using this - I just got to use the dregs up as none of them can be bothered to stand the bottle upside down and use every last drop. Really like this as it is very gentle, especially as my eldest has eczema. WBA but have tons of shower gels still to UU. Back to my Philosophy senorita margarita now which smells divine.
  • me too, i was supposed to be on a no buy of glamour too, its been an appalling mag recently. seems like theres just no substance to it anymore. i have st james. thought it was red until i got it home and realised it was exactly like about 3 other pinks i own :(

I went through all the mags to check - they had the light pink which I swear I already own, I thought the st james was a pillar box red as well, but then I saw the blue-black and went for it.

I'll be honest, I probably won't read the mag. I cancelled 3 magazine subscriptions which all should run out soon; I have a couple of each of the mags lying around waiting to be read. I even took a day off to drink tea and read magazines and didn't manage it!

I did however flick through one of the magazines tonight and discover a sample product. Cue me flicking through all the magazines and another five Ins:

Vichy Lift Active Serum 10 1.5ml sample
    Clinique even better eyes dark circle corrector sample sachet
    Clarins Skin Illusion foundation sample 1.5ml
    Rimmel BB cream sample 1.5ml
    Nivea express hydration primer 1.5ml sample

At least these were no-spend I suppose!

• So ..... not sure whether to set a spending target for the month or just see how it goes?:)

Welcome :T

Different people do theirs differently. I've got enough toiletries to last me through several winters! I started by putting £2 in a pot for every item I used up; two weeks in and I have £32 in a savings pot to cover me for any replacement items I need to buy.

As my stash is over 300 items, I'm hoping to save as much as possible to put towards a holiday/other large purchase that comes my way.

I would have a look through your stash, once you add in all the other things, and assess what you really need, and when. Try to use things up before you buy a replacement; if you know you will need moisturiser keep some money on the side for it, but see if you can use every other item you have first.

That way you get to save some money, you can still purchase and enjoy it, but it's focused in the right place!
  • Need to go on the naughty step and its only the 1st but other than hairdye its the only in's since the start of Sept .

New job starts in a just over a week and i thought it was time to refresh my makeup a little, new start new me kinda thought process.

MUA undressed eyeshadow pallette £4
    MUA Mosaic Blush English Rose £2.50
    MUA Mosiac Bronzer Natural Glow £2.50

Seen some really great reviews on different blogs and thought for the price i would give them a go :o Plus they was 3 for 2 in sup'rdrug so great value.:money:

Best of luck in the new job, a new start sounds like the perfect excuse for some new make up to me! :D

I am off to a great start for the month, just UU a Trevor Sorbie Beautifully Straightened shampoo, WNBA because it wasn't really right for my hair. This was a xmas pressie from my mum (2010 I think :o) still have about 1/3 of the conditioner left. I think I will try out an Avon cherry blossom shampoo next, it should smell nice!
    No more buying unnecessary toiletries 2018
    35 UU / 13 unnecessary ins
  • edited 2 November 2012 at 12:20AM
    Fiasco55Fiasco55 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 2 November 2012 at 12:20AM
    Welcome Rising from the Ashes.

Good luck with the new job next week spending vs saving.

Welcome back Hermia - Sorry to hear about your mum. Hope you are doing okay.
    Day 1 and I have an epic fail. Those of you who were talking about buying the Glamour mag with Nails Inc on the cover I hope you feel guilty. It hadn't even occurred to me before I read those posts...

IN: Nails Inc Motcombe Street, from the front of Glamour mag

Sigh.

:rotfl::rotfl: Oh, this can happen from time to time. The increased awareness of the the GWP and bonus times can be a bit of an extra challenge. My approach is that if it is something you want to try but can get it as a GWP then why not try it (within reason) or if you are buying some of your HG items then I will wait for a good offer......but the nail polish colour is so lovely on :o
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • edited 2 November 2012 at 12:25AM
    InaPickleInaPickle Forumite
    6K posts
    edited 2 November 2012 at 12:25AM
    Fiasco55 wrote: »
    Pickle - hope the move goes swiftly and smoothly.
    maddiemay wrote: »
    happy flat move inapickle.

Thanks for all your good wishes guys. I have to admit, I'm quite :eek: about the amount of stuff I have to move: however did I end up with this many things?! I'm so glad I have been decluttering as I go along, and although I still have tons of stuff to go I will be having a huge and ruthless sort through the remaining things when I get to my new place and getting rid of anything not strictly necessary, plus a little bit for decoration (I haven't had the chance to do it before, unfortunately). Having said that, I have been keeping a present of a large l'Occitane Verbena shower gel and soap for my flat when I moved in, so now I finally get to use them! :D
    Hermia wrote: »
    I want to join in this month. I have had a break for a couple of months as my mother recently died. I have inherited her stash of toiletries so now have a flat that is full of the stuff. I managed to give some away, but I can't bring myself to bin good brands. I want to move next year and really don't want to pay to lug all this stuff to another house. I will try to buy nothing this month except moisturiser as I don't have much left.

I'm really sorry to hear that Hermia, but hopefully using her toiletries will give you happy thoughts about her as you go along. (And seriously, as someone about to move, you don't want to be lugging them with you!)

P.S. Welcome, rising! :wave:

If I disappear/am typing badly for a few days it's cos I don't have any internet access at my new place and am typing on my phone!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• mcculloch29mcculloch29 Forumite
    5K posts
    Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hermia wrote: »
    I want to join in this month. I have had a break for a couple of months as my mother recently died. I have inherited her stash of toiletries so now have a flat that is full of the stuff. I managed to give some away, but I can't bring myself to bin good brands. I want to move next year and really don't want to pay to lug all this stuff to another house. I will try to buy nothing this month except moisturiser as I don't have much left.

Sorry to hear of your loss, Hermia. I admire you for putting your practical head on and using up the good stuff your Mum left. I'm rather partial to the smell of Nivea as that is what my Mum always used.

If you have anything left when you move, perhaps this might be a solution:- Give and Make Up is a scheme that takes unwanted toiletries and distributes them to women in Refuge/Women's Aid shelters, when they have escaped domestic violence.

Quite a few of us supported this charity last year and sent in shoeboxes of unwanted stash. It doesn't have to be new or unopened; basically if you would be happy to give it to a friend, they are happy to take it.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support