🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

My Sky BB speed

Options

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above, you'll need to upgrade anyway to get enough data allowance to use the service.
    No reason to think that your linespeed won't then improve to the maximum your line can support, but if you post your router stats then all will be revealed.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lindabea wrote: »
    Thank you guys for all your replies. As you suspected, I'm on the 2 GB limit and my line speed is1.77Mbps. Is this a reasonable speed for downloading films from Lovefilm or on demand from sky? I know I may need to upgrade to the BB unlimited, but I don't want to do that if I'm than limited to a slow speed.

On demand from Sky is not dependent on the speed of you internet cannection as programmes are download, might take a little longer.
    Your 2Gb limit represents downloading 1 or two films only.
    PS POST YOU ROUTER LINE STATS.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • lindabea
    lindabea Posts: 1,478 Forumite
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    On demand from Sky is not dependent on the speed of you internet cannection as programmes are download, might take a little longer.
    Your 2Gb limit represents downloading 1 or two films only.
    PS POST YOU ROUTER LINE STATS.
    I would if someone can explain how to display the stats. I entered 192.168.0.1 on the web address but I don't know want stats you require.
    Before doing something... do nothing
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    lindabea wrote: »
    I would if someone can explain how to display the stats. I entered 192.168.0.1 on the web address but I don't know want stats you require.
    Look Here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#38
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • stef73
    stef73 Posts: 545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    After you enter 192.168.0.1 you click on maintenance tab this bring up the router status its these stats if it asks for password and login its either sky then admin or admin then sky cant remember which way round.
  • lindabea
    Options
    I got the following details
    Router Statistics

System Up Time: 2:36:06
    Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN MER 29440 34513 0 454 513 2:35:18 LAN 15 0 0 0 0 2:36:06 WLAN 40399 34912 0 645 420 2:35:41 ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 2048 kbps 412 kbps Line Attenuation 30.0 db 15.7 db Noise Margin 13.3 db 21.3 db
    What does it mean
  • lindabea
    Options
    Sorry guys - I lost all the tabs from the above post when I posted the reply. It was all nicely laid out when I pasted it. Hope you can still read it. ;)
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,860 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 31 October 2012 at 1:51PM
    Options
    OK based on your downstream 30db you should be able to get 7194 kbps on ADSL2 and 15264kbps on ADSL2+ (LLU) this link will allow you to check it http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php (ie put 30 in )
    I would presume that you are on Sky's free BB hence only up to 2048kbps (2Mb)
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Having looked again at your stats your noise margin is 13.3db ideally it should be 6db (mine is 8.6 and I get 15500kb )
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    So a switch to Sky's proper uncapped service will give you more than enough speed for streaming.
    The 2GB service is purely a bait and switch tactic, it's totally inadequate for the vast majority of users.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family