My Sky BB speed

Options
My BB download speed is consistently at around 1.77mbps; I think this is very slow, although adequate for my current needs. I don't do a lot of downloads - mostly general browsing. However, I would like to use 'On demand', and I need a min of 2mbps. B4 calling sky, can anyone please advise.
Before doing something... do nothing

Comments

• gonzo127
    gonzo127 Posts: 4,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    first thing first would be to find out what the expected speed you line should be doing so go http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker here and pop in your details should give something like this

The following services are available in your location:

BT Wholesale ADSL
    BT Wholesale ADSL Max
    BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
    AOL LLU
    TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
    Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
    Orbital / VFast Wireless

Please select the options on the left for more information about broadband availability at your location.

at the left of this will be some buttons so click on the BT ADSL button then something like this will come up

According to BT Wholesale, houses at your postcode should be able to support
    up to 2Mbps via ADSL
    5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max
    6Mbps or greater via ADSL2+
    Standard ADSL RAG results

You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
    You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
    You can receive 512kbps ADSL
    You can receive 256kbps ADSL

You are approximately 1.70km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer

once we have these details it will give an idea if there is something serioulsy wrong, or if you about what would be expected and therefore can give some advise which could speed things up
    Drop a brand challenge
    on a £100 shop you might on average get 70 items save
    10p per product = £7 a week ~ £28 a month
    20p per product = £14 a week ~ £56 a month
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • lindabea
    lindabea Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Gonzo for your reply. Here are the details I obtained:
    • BT Wholesale ADSL
    • BT Wholesale ADSL Max
    • BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
    • BT FTTC
    • AOL LLU
    • TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
    • Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
    • ADSL is available in your area
    • Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
    • Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL2+ services
    According to BT Wholesale, houses at your postcode should be able to support
    up to 2Mbps via ADSL
    6.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max
    12Mbps or greater via ADSL2+
    Standard ADSL RAG results

• You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
    • You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
    • You can receive 512kbps ADSL
    • You can receive 256kbps ADSL
    You are approximately 1.06km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!

If I understand this correctly, it seems that my actual speed is very reasonable but not adequate for heavy downloads.
  • gonzo127
    Options
    well according to them details above either your reading of your download speed is wrong, or else you have got something else up

can i ask which Sky broadband package you are one? as if its the free one that is limited in speed to 2mb and onyl has a 2gb download limit so would not be suitable for streaming/catchup tv etc

other than that first things first, we have to be careful when comparing units, for example in broadband you will get megabytes and megabits the difference being that a 'byte' is made up of 8 'bits' so you have to be careful when reading your speeds,

therefore when doing the download tests do you get MBps or Mbps as your line should be more than capable of supporting streaming for example my stats which are lower than yours, does support a couple of streams at any one time and my real word speeds are actualy 10Mbps on adsl2+ which is roughly 1.1 MBps, and is more than suitable for heavy downloads (i get through roughly 500GB per month on my connection)
    Drop a brand challenge
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    Post your router stats.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I was getting a slow connection with Sky I swapped the filter. This massively increased the speed.

You should also try cabling your computer to the router as you may be on a channel that lots of other properties share.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    even better would be your actual line stats, you need to log into your router to find these...provide what gonzo has asked for first, to see if it's really worth you going that far :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    that'll teach me not to refresh first :o

IF you're NOT on the 2meg limited package, you need to troubleshoot your connection, follow info here:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • gonzo127
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    even better would be your actual line stats, you need to log into your router to find these...provide what gonzo has asked for first, to see if it's really worth you going that far :)

well this is always why i start at samknows instead of stright into the router as its easier to see if its worth going fully into things as my thoughts are that OP is either on the free but limited package, or the actual download is 17mbps and is showing as 1.7MBps with the confusion over the Bytes and bits terminology
    Drop a brand challenge
  • lindabea
    lindabea Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Options
    gonzo127 wrote: »
    well this is always why i start at samknows instead of stright into the router as its easier to see if its worth going fully into things as my thoughts are that OP is either on the free but limited package, or the actual download is 17mbps and is showing as 1.7MBps with the confusion over the Bytes and bits terminology
    Thank you guys for all your replies. As you suspected, I'm on the 2 GB limit and my line speed is1.77Mbps. Is this a reasonable speed for downloading films from Lovefilm or on demand from sky? I know I may need to upgrade to the BB unlimited, but I don't want to do that if I'm than limited to a slow speed.
  • gonzo127
    edited 30 October 2012 at 2:53PM
    Options
    lindabea wrote: »
    Thank you guys for all your replies. As you suspected, I'm on the 2 GB limit and my line speed is1.77Mbps. Is this a reasonable speed for downloading films from Lovefilm or on demand from sky? I know I may need to upgrade to the BB unlimited, but I don't want to do that if I'm than limited to a slow speed.

the speed is not going to be the biggest problem as it would work with a standard definition stream,

your issue is the fact that your package is limited to only 2gb per month and iplayer for example will use roughly 350mb per hour for a standard definition program so will eat all your limit in around 5 hours without any other internet usage

per hour usage estimations

Low bandwidth streaming (480Kbps) = 190-210MB
    Standard quality streaming (800Kbps) = 320-340MB
    High quality streaming (1500Kbps) = 600-640MB
    High definition streaming (2800Kbps) = 1.10-1.20GB

as to moving to the unlimited package, the speed would not then be a problem as Sky would remove the artificail cap on your speed and so i would expect on your line going by the estimations of same knows for you to get a 12mb line therefore being able to stream upto 3-4 HD quality streams at the same time (based on a 3-4mbps per HD stream)
    Drop a brand challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure