🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Do you tip your supermarket delivery driver?

Options
124»

Comments

• andrew-the-cat
    Options
    I'm not sure what the policy is like at other companies but at Sainsbury's we driver are not allowed to accept monetary tips. We can carry a maximum of £10 cash on us which is only for food/drink or emergencies eg bridge toll should the tag fail or fuel etc.

We do not expect tips, and in any case it is very rare that we are offered one. I expect it's probably more common around Christmas time. In a year of doing the job I have only been offered a tip once and that was when I delivered a first order to a very nice couple and gave them fantastic service (in my eyes). They invited me in for a cup of tea! I politely declined.

There is one elderly lady who most of the drivers know who always gives a bar of chocolate to the driver but I have not delivered to her yet.

Sainsbury's do not make a profit on online delivery orders under £40.
  • Daisygirl
    Options
    I feel really sorry for any delivery men coming to our house, as we live in the middle of nowhere and normally they ring up asking where we are!, then there is our horrid driveway - narrow and a tight squeeze and a nightmare in the wet as it is just mud and stones, ie not a proper surface, so all the big vans who try to reverse into our drive normally have a bit of trouble :o, I find I am forever apologising to them..... hmmm time to have our drive done then! I feel they do deserve a tip when they deliver to our house.
  • Manicmum66
    Options
    Have to say that I get a weekly online shopping delivery and don't tip, but I would tip my regular driver at Xmas.
  • lonestarfan
    lonestarfan Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always tip. In general they won't accept it so I always have a treat for them as a standby. It's rarely the same driver but it's always someone really personable. I'm hugely thankful they bring it into the house as I can't manage shopping or carrying & they never grumble. Yes they are paid but they are doing me a great service. I also tip my hairdresser but not the UPS/parcel force.
  • polomints
    Options
    Depends on how easy the drop is for the driver, it's never a harm to give a quid.
  • Maxine111
    Maxine111 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2014 at 9:10PM
    Options
    I use different supermarkets for delivery. One driver said that he was grateful for the tips and uses them to take his wife out for a meal.
    And two other drivers refused saying they are not allowed to accept them.
    I can't remember which shop said what now so I don't tip any of them.
    However - three different Tesco drivers have made the joke that as my house is up for sale they hope my next house has no steps as the lads moan about who is delivering to my house.
    It was funny the first time - but now I feel bad about ordering so use different supermarkets to stagger it.
    I'm not sure if they were just trying to get tips or not.
    I tip taxi drivers and pizza delivery guys but these ones take it up a few steps and only to the door and moan - Ocado carry one box at a time its not my fault if Tesco guys stack all the boxes then hurt their backs - so I've given up now.

I might offer a pound over Christmas but its £6 delivery at Sainsburys so they are having a laugh ;)
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tesco drivers moan about anything and everything unless they have the easiest run of the day but then they will moan that previous driver didn't fill up with fuel or some such.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We use Sainsburys mostly, Tesco and Asda occasionally, and have found the drivers to be very courteous. We give them a quid ("for the tea machine at work") just as a token gesture because we appreciate the service and know their wages aren't brilliant. If a driver is more helpful than expected then my OH will phone the store and speak to the boss about how good the driver was.
    One life - your life - live it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family