We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Do you tip your supermarket delivery driver?

Options

Comments

• dalek
    dalek Posts: 9,386 Forumite
    Options
    rochycoo wrote: »
    Many supermarket staff work through the night to fill the shelves, pickers start work at 5am getting your order ready to be delivered. They don't get tipped for the work they do towards your order, they don't even get thanked.

And many are working for FREE!

Thanks to the Tories slave labour/workfare scheme!

Shelf stackers and order pickers are working through the night so that their £71 a week Job Seekers Allowance isn't stopped!!
    The Daleks Reign Supreme, All Hail The Daleks!
  • bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dalek wrote: »

Shelf stackers and order pickers are working through the night so that their £71 a week Job Seekers Allowance isn't stopped!!

Sorry to burst the bubble, but very few of these workfare schemes cover night work. Some of them do lead to real jobs. My flatmate went on one of the placement schemes, and has been gainfully emplyed since February.

Not that I like the Tories, but don't scream at a scheme that can actually work for people.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • rochycoo
    rochycoo Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    dalek wrote: »

I agree they shouldn't be working at Asda, Tesco, M&S etc but they should be doing something to earn their benefits. There are plenty of charity shops and organisations that are in need of unpaid staff.
    Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.:)
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    I don't tip the drivers because I know some companies have strict no tipping rules. Tesco drivers seem to expect it tho
  • sexki11en
    sexki11en Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    No, I don't. No one tips me for doing my job - i'm paid to do it and that's enough for me (even if I wish I was paid more lol). It should be enough for them too.
    After 4 years of heartache, 3 rounds of IVF and 1 loss :A - we are finally expecting our miracle Ki11en - May 2014 :j

And a VERY surprise miracle in March 2017!
  • socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was an Asda Home Shopping driver for 5 years (left at Christmas 2010 because my manager wouldn't let me have light duties after I came out of hospital after having an ovary taken out!) and I wouldn't have ever expected a tip but it was nice when offered.

The drivers get paid the same wage per hour as shopping pickers, checkout operators, trolley pushers and the person with the 'hand arrow' showing you where the shortest queue is at the checkouts! BUT the delivery drivers do a hard job in all weathers, under great pressure to deliver on time, regardless of how big the orders are or how bad the traffic is.
    If you want to tip, feel free to do so (money only - no gifts/chocolate unless the store doesn't sell it so driver isn't accused of theft from store) but the best things my regular customers offered me was the use of their toilet! Especially as I am a woman!
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • Hmm71
    Hmm71 Posts: 479 Forumite
    Options
    I don't shop online but I do feel sorry for the Ocado driver who delivers to my neighbour in the flat upstairs. He/she has to carry everything up five flights of stairs.
    I don't think I'd tip the driver as they are already paid by the supermarket and if I tip the driver where does it end>? Should I go to the warehouse and offer to tip the pickers and packers? Should I be offering tips to the checkout people when I do my shopping in store>?
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All the people that said they don't tip because they have paid for the service, and or the driver already gets paid for their job.

Does this mean that you never tip anyone, eg Taxi drivers or waitresses as you have already paid for the service.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • rochycoo
    rochycoo Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    Storck wrote: »
    All the people that said they don't tip because they have paid for the service, and or the driver already gets paid for their job.

Does this mean that you never tip anyone, eg Taxi drivers or waitresses as you have already paid for the service.

So does that mean you tip your bin men every time they collect your rubbish or the postman when he delivers your letters. And personally I don't tip anyone, I only earn just above minimum wage and have to be careful with every penny. Forums like this make life a little easier, thanks to everyone who posts the money saving tip :)
    Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.:)
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rochycoo wrote: »
    So does that mean you tip your bin men every time they collect your rubbish or the postman when he delivers your letters. And personally I don't tip anyone, I only earn just above minimum wage and have to be careful with every penny. Forums like this make life a little easier, thanks to everyone who posts the money saving tip :)

No I don't. I also don't always tip in restaurants or taxis.

I would tip someone if they gave exceptional service or did something very helpful to me. It would not matter if it was a delivery driver or a waitress. I was just trying to see if anyone who said they would not tip the deliver driver because they had paid for the service tipped anyone. Fair enough if you tip no one but I was trying to look at the arguments used for not tipping, if it is simply I do not tip then just say that.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport