Do you tip your supermarket delivery driver?

Options
I have just had my first delivery and shall be using it a lot in the future. I wasnt quite sure if he expected a tip, do others give tips?

Comments

• jbrockwell5081
    Options
    I don't. Pay enough for the delivery service in the first place; and I don't pay any other company who delivers my shopping. Only exceptions for me are takeaway delivery drivers where there is free delivery.
  • pullenuk
    pullenuk Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    I don't. Pay enough for the delivery service in the first place; and I don't pay any other company who delivers my shopping. Only exceptions for me are takeaway delivery drivers where there is free delivery.

You may pay enough for your delivery service, but it doesn't even cover the costs of delivering to you......

@vivmagb if you wish to tip, do so. If you don't, don't worry. I work for Sainsburys as Online Driver, I don't expect a tip at all. But some customers who feel I deserve one I will kindly thank for. At Christmas my regulars often tip me as thanks for all the hard work for the year (yup, going up and down stairs, bumpy driveways, kids in the way, dogs really in the way, etc etc.... hang on, I do deserve it then! :rotfl:).
  • bargain_babs
    Options
    no I don't - it never entered my head to do so

However I do take the point of pullenuk ......... so maybe if used regular and same driver then maybe a Christmas card with a tip in it .......
  • rochycoo
    rochycoo Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    you shouldn't tip the driver as most supermarkets don't allow employees to receive gifts/tips and they can be deciplined if they accept.
    Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.:)
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    No I don't tip as I pay (or free from some companies) to have the goods delivered and that person is paid to do the delivery by the supermarket (cost "doesn't even cover the costs of delivering to you" - well that's not the customers problem that is the fee the supermarket set and the picking, delivery and the wages of those employees are part of the profit the supermarket get from the customer and sale of those goods that they wouldn't have if they did not offer a delivery service!).
    If you were to tip do we tip every delivery man that comes to the door as some have some big or heavy packages.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • xcarlyx
    xcarlyx Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    No because I find all supermarkets charge too much for delivery
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    edited 27 October 2012 at 10:09AM
    Options

there is not such thing as "free" delivery (or free returns), it's just a different pricing strategy, the cost is built in the price of the products, instead as a separate item. You just need to look at the cost of pizza at Dominos etc.
    (even using discount codes etc, the cost is always factored in somewhere else, nothing comes for 'free').
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I used to but I'm trying to wean myself off of it on the basis that nobody tips me for doing my job (I do feel a bit guilty though) :o
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    I do if it's the co-op's free delivery but not for the ones who charge.
    I got chatting to one of the co-op drivers and he said that often the customers will let him keep the pound from their trolley as a tip, so I figured that's about right.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't often have shopping delivered, but no I'm afraid I don't tip. Groceries are expensive enough without adding on even more. I would possibly do the Christmas card and token amount for a regular delivery driver though, or one who goes out of their way to help you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure