We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Do you tip your supermarket delivery driver?

Options

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 October 2012 at 9:28PM
    Options
    If you dont want to tip but feel the driver was good/ went the extra mile you can contact customer services and let them kow so and so driver was very good/went the extra mile etc etc and in my experience they do let the staff in store (those who work in online groceries) know.
  • kizzie_nikita
    Options
    i definitely wouldn't tip, they get paid their wage to being me my shopping :) But i am pretty poor so...
    Save, save, save, save.
  • pullenuk
    pullenuk Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    If you dont wnat to tip but feel the driver was good/ went the extra mile you can contact customer services and let them kow so and so driver was very good/went the extra mile etc etc and in my experience they do let the staff in store (those who work in online groceries) know.

Not really, all we usually hear are the complaints. In the older days, if a customer gave good feedback for something we actually done we used to get a voucher (often £10 in store voucher). Since we very rarely see one, maybe 1 a month given to a random driver of a team of 40....
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    No, I don't tip and I do my shopping online every week. It is never the same driver twice though. I think the £5 delivery charge is a lot considering the store is 5 mins drive from my house, and also that the pickers often seem devoid of common sense when subbing items.
  • jollymummy
    Options
    No but when our delivery arrived a couple of years ago in bad snow, I gave him a flask of tea and some biscuits - he brought my flask back the following week :)
    :hello:
    NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
  • natalieho
    natalieho Posts: 507 Forumite
    Options
    No i don't but thats because i have never had the same driver! They either have lots and lots of drivers OR a huge turn over in staff. I get mine delivered twice a month.
  • vivmagb
    vivmagb Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies, if I get the same driver on a regular basis I shall do the Xmas card with a tip.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 October 2012 at 4:12PM
    Options
    Definitely ask if they are allowed to accept tips (not sure if its in the contracts but would have thought so), just a thanks should be enough, a card at xmas (whether for the driver or for the dept as a whole.)
  • pullenuk
    pullenuk Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    @jollymummy - That was really nice of you, I'm sure you really made his day.

@DCFC79 - Not in our contracts at our store, but its in our "Driver Rules". However, you try refusing a £1 tip from a old lady that insists you take it for putting her heavy parts of her shopping in the cupboard for her!

I went to a customer that we deliver to regularly. She bakes cakes for a living and she was really rushed off her feet. I told her to calm down, I bring the shopping in for her, she just carry on and I give her a shout when I'm done. I also told her to ask the drivers in future if she wants the help. She was so impressed she gave a HUGE cake for me to take back to the online department. Didn't last long!!!!! I went back a few weeks later and she was banging on how great we are.
  • rochycoo
    rochycoo Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    A simple thank you, so that the driver knows they are appreciated, is enough. Just remember it's not just the driver that has made your delivery possible. Many supermarket staff work through the night to fill the shelves, pickers start work at 5am getting your order ready to be delivered. They don't get tipped for the work they do towards your order, they don't even get thanked.
    Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport