Error message when trying to open some forum thread pages

Options
Hi,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place ...

For the last few weeks I've been having problems with pages not loading on some of the MSE threads which have multiple pages. I can't post links, but in the Competitions Time Forum there are a couple of threads for regularly updated threads for puzzles.com and take a break puzzle magazines. I've tried other threads with multiple pages, and some of them I can open all pages, some of them there are pages I can't open.

With the take a break puzzle mag thread I can open pages 1 to 3 and 12, but not 4 to 11. With the pages I can't open I get either a blank screen or a message "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading" - this is the wording in Firefox, but I also have IE and Chrome on my laptop and I get the same response on those but slightly different wording. So it seems to be something with my laptop, rather than something with the browser?

It's only happening with MSE, all the other websites I use are fine.

Is anyone else having the same problem? Does anyone have an ideas?

I'm using Windows 7. I've tried clearing caches and I've made sure all updates are installed. I don't know what else to try.

Thanks in advance for ideas / help / suggestions.

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    This thread?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3443191

I don't seem to have any problems opening the pages you mentioned here.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Alfachick
    Options
    Yes, that's the one (or one of them).

Thanks for posting the link.

I've just emailed the link to my husband and it's fine for him too. So definately something to do with my computer, I just have no idea what.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have the same problem with that thread. Get a connection reset for pages 4-11 but the rest fine.

Using FF 16.0.1 & Chrome.
  • Alfachick
    Options
    Phew! Thank you! In a way it's a relief to know it's not just me, even if I'm no closer to sorting it.
  • OneYorkshireLass
    Options
    Works fine for me in IE9.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Interestingly from page 5 of that thread that you presumably can't see?
    kit34 wrote: »
    is anyone else having trouble with these threads on this and one of the other long threads i can only see the last page and it wont let me click on any earlier pages :( i feel sooooo excluded :D
    finleypop wrote: »
    Me too, I can't look at page 1 or 2 of the thread?
    One-Eye wrote: »
    Some people are having trouble viewing certain pages in this thread. The forum sometimes does this for no apparent reason. Try the following.

Exit the thread.
    Click on "User CP" in the menu bar above the threads.
    Select "Edit Options" in the menu on the left.
    Change "Number of Posts to Show per page" to 10.
    "Save Changes" at the bottom.
    Go back into the thread and hopefully you can access it all.

You can change back to 20 posts per page at any time.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Alfachick
    Options
    To confirm my versions, in case that makes a difference:

IE9
    Chrome 22.0.1229.94 m
    Firefox 16.0.1
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been playing about and it appears to be the 40 posts per page is the problem. Anything else is fine.
  • Alfachick
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    Interestingly from page 5 of that thread that you presumably can't see?

Thank you! Thank you! No I couldn't see page 5, I've changed number of posts to 10 and successfully scrolled through from page 1 to page 46! Woohoo!

And a big thanks to One-Eye as well!

That is weird though, I don't understand why I can only view all pages when it's only showing 10 posts? Does everyone else have their settings on 10 posts only per thread page?

Anyway, at least I have a work-around. If anyone knows why I'd like to understand.

Thank you!
  • Alfachick
    Options
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    I've been playing about and it appears to be the 40 posts per page is the problem. Anything else is fine.

Thank you. I was viewing 40 posts per page. I think that's the only thing I didn't think to change in my settings, I will now go and re-instate show images on my User CP.

Thank you so much for your investigation work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure