Streamline.net taken money from my account

Options
Hi

Searching Streamline.net on the web, I find comparable info on this web hosting company.....

A TERRIBLE, UNSCRUPULOUS, UNHELPFUL, DEVIOUS COMPANY

and we've also been recently duped by this company.

Streamline.net has just taken £180 out of our account (5 days ago) for a 2 year web hosting renewal. They shiftily sent us 2 separate emails -

1. A direct (email) invoice for the DOMAIN name of our website (clearly stating we owed them £10 for 2 years), and

2. A letter (also by email at the same time) with NO FINANCIAL FIGURES ON IT, stating 'renewal info' for the 2 years as - 'renewal price: please log into your streamline.net control panel.'

I didn't read the second email well enough (I receive 40+ emails a day through my work), didn't check my Streamline.net account online (I never have in 4 years) and didn't know there was the second cost (greatly increased since previous years to £170) and the combined figure (£10+£170) is now out of the account.

I contacted the CRAP OVERSEAS CUSTOM SERVICE who, after 30 minutes of arguing about the lack of clarity in their invoicing service, refused to even pass me onto someone more senior in the company to talk to. I want to CHARGEBACK my debit card payment, but I'm worried that they will demand £50 admin fee + the original £180 if I do so (its stated that they will do this in their T&C).

I have a few points that need clarification. Can anyone help????? mainly:

1. Has anyone actually received one of these debt demands when they chargeback on their direct debit payment?? Is it worth Streamline.net's time to chase this up?

2. Does anyone know the exact legal standing in this country to protect people who do not pay (or recoup their payments) if they had not DIRECTLY BEEN SENT A DETAILED INVOICE/BILL for an online service?

3. Is it legally justified that we have to go searching online through our service providers accounts to find out how much we will be charged (in addition, when we have NEVER been notified in writing or by email that those prices have been changed/increased)?

4. Is it not a law that a company has to clearly state it's costs by direct email invoice to receive such payments in this country?

5. Has anyone successfully followed this Streamline.net payment issue up with lawyers, trading standards etc. and had a definitive statement on this? As I've carried out a lot of online searches about this issue and its all pessimistic, without a single positive outcome from a complaint to this company regarding their billing methods. Everyone seems unsure of our online purchasing rights, and streamline.net simply stops people from pursuing complaints any further by bullying people with credit-rating and debt collector threats.

Any lawyers out there that can shed light on this, as for all my internet searching, no one has gotten anywhere with this company, but we're still not clear on our direct debt/internet sale rights.

Still confused,
Julie

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Julie, welcome.

You seem to be saying that this company have charged you more than you expected.

You are also saying that you didn't read the emails properly.

It looks like they sent you emails saying something like...
    "login to your account to see the amount due".

This is exactly the way British Gas (just one example) notify me about my latest bill.

Have I understood that correctly?
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options

A TERRIBLE, UNSCRUPULOUS, UNHELPFUL, DEVIOUS COMPANY

and we've also been recently duped by this company.

Streamline.net has just taken £180 out of our account (5 days ago) for a 2 year web hosting renewal. They shiftily sent us 2 separate emails -

1. A direct (email) invoice for the DOMAIN name of our website (clearly stating we owed them £10 for 2 years), and

2. A letter (also by email at the same time) with NO FINANCIAL FIGURES ON IT, stating 'renewal info' for the 2 years as - 'renewal price: please log into your streamline.net control panel.'

I didn't read the second email well enough (I receive 40+ emails a day through my work), didn't check my Streamline.net account online (I never have in 4 years) and didn't know there was the second cost (greatly increased since previous years to £170) and the combined figure (£10+£170) is now out of the account.

Still confused,
    Julie

Domain names are always priced seperate to hosting as the co have to pay 3rd parties for the domain names.

40 emails a day.... Is that all. AND YOU IGNORE THE IMPORTANT ONES ABOUT BILLING.... :eek:

You have not been duped. It is YOUR failure to check that is the issue. They clearly stated what you had to do.

Why have you not been checking your account area?

You are at their mercy here. No protection from your bank/card provider.
    If it was a Dd and you claim it back. You will
    A. lose your domain name.
    B find your web site blocked.
    C find yourself in even deeper water with your boss for compounding your failure to check ongoing costs, by now totally losing income.....
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • joolsnkilly
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying. I'll make sure I take the renewal more seriously in 2 years time! (i.e to cancel the DD and stop the website).
  • joolsnkilly
    Options
    Yes. So I'm guessing I haven't a leg to stand on!
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    Yes. So I'm guessing I haven't a leg to stand on!

Have you chopped them off or something?
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • dalesrider
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying. I'll make sure I take the renewal more seriously in 2 years time! (i.e to cancel the DD and stop the website).

I guess it wont be a DD it will be a CPA.
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • Mr_Brown_3
    Options
    Believe me joolsnkilly they will do exactly the same to you next time your renewal is due, they are basically crooks and should be avoided at all costs.

why is Watchdog or the trading standards not onto them?

why are auto-renewing contracts still allowed? I rang them and asked to cancel, they wanted money before I could..I don't think so

How can this still be going on in 2012????

How many people have just paid up??
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mr_Brown wrote: »
    I wonder if it is because not enough people have reported a problem with them yet?

Please don't ask me what 'enough' means, that is for those organisations to explain.

Have you reported any problems to them?
  • dalesrider
    Options
    Mr_Brown wrote: »

why are auto-renewing contracts still allowed? I rang them and asked to cancel, they wanted money before I could..I don't think so

How can this still be going on in 2012????

Ah Watchdog... That toothless old grannie of a TV program. How many times over the years have you seen the same companies on there....
    Does that tell you anything.
    Trading standards ? Are Streamline.net actually doing any thing wrong?
    Op said that emails from them not read... And that had this been done they would have acted on that new price.

To many people auto renewing is a life saver....
    Remember if you don't pay and if you have a domain name it will be sold off and you won't get it back. As well as your website going down. How much is that worth to you....

You want to cancel, then tell them. If they then take money after that. Then you claim it back as a cancelled CPA with your bank/card provider.
    Just hope if you do this that you have moved your domain name/web site hosting elsewhere. Or you will lose both.
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • Mr_Brown_3
    Options
    Auto renewing contracts may not be a problem... but when you tell them that you no longer want their services because you switched to another host 7 months before thecontract ended and they say well if you pay us £xx then we can think about cancelling the contract afterwards.. yea right

Then they threaten you with debt collectors when you don't pay for a service you are no longer using or want
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure